Remake the Eragon Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Re: Remake the Eragon Movie

Post by Musae »

Yes please, and if made over, stick to the storyline in the novel!
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Yes! They butchered the book so much when they made that movie, cutting out so many essential things. I cannot even begin to describe how utterly annoying Seraphina's random growth spurt was. I think it was all done in the effort of "time conservation" but dammit, it was just awful. They could have done so much better.

I still pretend the movie doesn't exist. Someone who knew what they were doing could have done a much better job.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

It is one of the movies I never finished. Those books were some of my favourites growing up and managed to take me to a completely another world in a blink. Movie would have shattered that memory for me if I watched it longer than half an hour. That half an hour was disappointing enough. So I didn't. Now I must honestly say that I don't remember much of a movie, but also that I'm not ready to give it another try, because if any book was good for me, the movie based on it never reached it :( Maybe I just need more time and someone can prove me wrong about that.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

uyky wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 06:31 It is one of the movies I never finished. Those books were some of my favourites growing up and managed to take me to a completely another world in a blink. Movie would have shattered that memory for me if I watched it longer than half an hour. That half an hour was disappointing enough. So I didn't. Now I must honestly say that I don't remember much of a movie, but also that I'm not ready to give it another try, because if any book was good for me, the movie based on it never reached it :( Maybe I just need more time and someone can prove me wrong about that.
Time wont fix it, believe me. I reckon you're much better off for not having finished that movie. I think the first 30 minutes is a good indicator for the rest of the film since it never once got better from where it started, just worse. I wish I could prove you wrong, because it breaks my heart that the movie was so terrible since Eragon was a really important book in my childhood. But yeah...it just didn't make the cut. I feel like if someone remade it and actually focused on the really important elements then perhaps a movie would be worth rewatching, but trust me...you really don't want to waste your time on the one they did make.
uyky

Post by uyky »

Maybe someday they'll remake it and than we can give it another shot.
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

Totally agree with everyone here. I loved this series growing up and it was so sad seeing how much of a disappointment the film was. I really hope they remake it at some point in the future as it has so much potential. In fact thinking about it now, wouldn't a short TV series provide it more justice and allow the writers to stick truer to the books?
uyky

Post by uyky »

E G Suth wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 07:48 Totally agree with everyone here. I loved this series growing up and it was so sad seeing how much of a disappointment the film was. I really hope they remake it at some point in the future as it has so much potential. In fact thinking about it now, wouldn't a short TV series provide it more justice and allow the writers to stick truer to the books?
YES. TV series could be so much better, since movies always have problems with time management. I know the season 1 of Game of thrones was quite well put together and followed its book (I only saw first season and read the first book). I also loved Atwood's The Handmaid's tale as series. So, basically, what I'm trying to say here is that I would definitely watch that.
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html

Post by E G Suth »

uyky wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 11:29
E G Suth wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 07:48 Totally agree with everyone here. I loved this series growing up and it was so sad seeing how much of a disappointment the film was. I really hope they remake it at some point in the future as it has so much potential. In fact thinking about it now, wouldn't a short TV series provide it more justice and allow the writers to stick truer to the books?
YES. TV series could be so much better, since movies always have problems with time management. I know the season 1 of Game of thrones was quite well put together and followed its book (I only saw first season and read the first book). I also loved Atwood's The Handmaid's tale as series. So, basically, what I'm trying to say here is that I would definitely watch that.
Totally agree with you about Game of Thrones there. A good book was turned into an amazing season by following reasonably close to the book. There's always hope it will happen with Eragon!
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

Eragon is one of my favorite series. I learned about it from a friend who was raving about it. I have not seen the movie, but have gotten frequent complaints from this friend about how terrible the movie is. I still want to see it, to compare for myself, but even the trailer looks terrible. I do think Jeremy Irons is the perfect choice for Brom, though I always pictured Brom a little fatter, with a white beard. : )
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
AJMcD
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajmcd.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by AJMcD »

I remember how excited I was about that series once, it had so much potential to be a great film and they ruined it with silly decisions. I doubt we'll ever get a film remake, but someone like HBO or Netflix could pick it up if they thought their was still a market.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I want to read the books so bad, I almost bought the first one but completely spaced and forgot how to read for a second and left without buying it.

I enjoy the movie and have heard people bash it, just like The Golden Compass and Avatar: the last air bender. I don't always trust the opinion of others when it comes to movies but I know where they are coming from.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

I'd rather see netflix pick it up and remake it into a series!!
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I agree. I literally just posted a reply pertaining to this exact movie. This had so much potential and could have been an awesome film. The actors were semi-okay, but the plot was awful and the special effects were lacking in so many ways. I feel like the movie was extremely rushed and think a remake would be totally called for. The faults in the original should definitely be taken into consideration so, in the event of a redo, it could be so much better.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I also hated the film. But I agree with the others that a TV series may be the better option. Who knows? Now that GoT is nearing it's end, perhaps Eragon may be the next hit fantasy series.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Oh yes Eragon deserves a remake I remember feeling very angry after watching it.

Return to “Films and Books”