Official Review: The Composition of Honey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Official Review: The Composition of Honey

Post by rs1977 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Composition of Honey" by J. L. Brandenburg.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book The Composition of Honey: Book 2 of the Honey Saga by J.L. Branderburg. This is a fictional story about an undercover agent Adam and his lover Joni. The story is a wonderful concoction of expressions of emotions and thrilling adventure.

Joni loses her husband and her son in an accident. She lives with her pet dog in Hampton, Virginia. Adam comes into her life as a casual acquaintance. They start loving each other deeply. Joni finds out a lot more about Adam’s background eventually. What she finds out challenges their relationship. The reader is motivated to find out whether Adam is able to prove his true love to Joni and if they live happily ever after.

The author exquisitely narrates the emotions of Joni and Adam. Also, it’s thrilling to read about Adam’s work-related adventures. The building of Joni’s and Adam’s characters has been done meticulously. Although the overall pace of the story is relaxed, the reader is kept inquisitive because of the several twists and turns. The cover of the book is enticing to a thriller fan. The formatting is perfect throughout the book. The romantic scenes in the story have been kept short so that they don’t affect the pace. An action-packed ending does justice to the painstaking story-building.

However, there are too many knots in the story that could potentially leave the reader confused. I had to remind myself of the sequence of events often to make sense of the story. The author’s choice of third person present tense for the narration is unusual for a novel of this length. The book has not been professionally edited. There are several grammatical and mechanical errors. The most prominent ones are the punctuation errors that put me off every now and then. There are several word usage errors too.

Overall, I found this book a good read for all audiences, especially the thriller fiction readers. This book would make a wonderful weekend read. Throughout the book, the emotions and the feelings of the characters have been expressed beautifully. The nail-biting finish makes the reading worth a while. Unfortunately, proofreading has not been done thoroughly. There are several grammatical and mechanical errors. I was inclined to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I felt it is a great story overall. Owing to the grammatical and mechanical errors, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Composition of Honey
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes

Like rs1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like that it has thriller type plot mixed with the romance. Sounds like a good read.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Romance books aren't really my thing, but I like the sound of the thriller element. However, I think the continuous use of the present tense would get on my nerves after a while - so this one's not for me, but I appreciated your review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Sounds like a nice book with an interesting plot, but if the events confused you, I think they will confuse me too. Third person narration is sometimes hard to follow. Thank you for the review!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I no longer read romance novels, but I'm really curious as to how the title of this book factors in.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

It is the thriller that keep the reader glued to novel and the author did a good thing to give more weight on thrill over romance.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds rather interesting. A show paced book but with twists and turns that can be confusing. Thanks for the review on this one, but I don't think it's for me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

The title of the book was what made me click on this review, and I'm pretty curious as to why it was given that name XD Mixing a thriller-esque storyline with a romantic plot sounds like a potentially great read, and my interest is definitely piqued thanks to your review. Thank you for writing this critique, I think it was really helpful! :)
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 12 May 2018, 12:37 Sounds like a nice book with an interesting plot, but if the events confused you, I think they will confuse me too. Third person narration is sometimes hard to follow. Thank you for the review!
I totally agree with Laura that confusing events are a usually a turn-off! However, the premise is interesting. Thank you for the review!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I appreciate the title of this book but the plot doesn't seem enticing enough for me, sounds more like a cliche and the same ol' same ol'. Thanks for the review but I'll be skipping this one.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This sounds like a nice balance between romance and thriller. I think this title and artwork are so eye catching on this one. Sounds like the contents of the story are just as great.
Everything happens for a reason...
Blessed Taophic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Blessed Taophic »

The Composition of Honey" by J. L. Brandenburg.

I was thrilled when the topic leap up to me but wondering how tragic will it be after Joni found out the background of Adam. I guess the shock will be too much to bear for her. should Adam has that convincing power and really love her,i guess they can work things out.
More to the topic, i'd suggested Strength and composition of Honey.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I was on the fence about selecting this book to review myself. Sounds like you got a winner. Great review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”