Official Review: Break Your Self Help Addiction

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Official Review: Break Your Self Help Addiction

Post by jemgirl202 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Break Your Self Help Addiction" by Brian D. Ridgway.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you been trying to improve yourself or have been trying to find your truth? Have you tried every self-help book but to no avail? If you are spiritual and are desperate to find your truth, then Break Your Self Help Addiction: The 5 Keys to Personal Freedom by Brian D. Ridgeway is the book that you may want to turn to when they feel that you have exhausted all of your options.

This book begins with the author's personal background. His story is crucial to understanding how his system to find truth works. He grew up in a difficult life, filled with addiction and abuse. However, he has always had a gift that draws people to him. He was successful in business, but continued to lose that success seven times. He then goes into describing the lowest part of his life. He was living in a motel with his family when "The Miracle" happened. Suddenly he felt free and he has been able to use this gift in order to help everyone, including businessmen and entrepreneurs. He then uses the rest of the book to go into "Spells" and how they debilitate our lives. Then he finally discusses the 5 keys to personal freedom. I won't go into these 5 keys because that it a part of the process of this book and would be considered a "spoiler."

Overall, I thought this book had its good points. I am definitely more spiritual than religious. I meditate and practice yoga. So many of the concepts were not that new to me. In this book, the author is very encouraging! He has been in very low points himself, so it is easy to relate. I really enjoyed how open he is about his life and his struggles. I also appreciated his discussion on fear-based spells. For example, many people have a fear of success or fear of public speaking and that can really affect a person's life. He also includes several exercises and videos in his book. I think this is a great touch and can really deepen someone's experience. I participated in all videos and exercises to really grasp the author's views.

However, there were some points I did not enjoy. The author is very forceful about his truth. Many times he talks about how this way is the only way, we just need to overcome our skepticism. I read this with an open mind and still did not appreciate the way he talks down about other spiritual paths. Many of the paths he discussed as not being effective use some of the same tools he uses. Also, there is a point in the discussion of his key points to personal freedom where he argues that we are our own creator's. This is our own universe, so we can create it to how we see fit. For instance, no one has cancer, just symptoms of cancer. However, he argues that he has had clients that were able to will cancer away by using his program. I feel that this is an extremely dangerous concept to push. There may be several readers who may forgo cancer treatments that could save their lives. I am all for everyone living their truth, but would never urge people to make a decision that could affect their survival. He also uses several curse words, but censors them out by using "stars." I found this to be distracting while reading the book. He should have just written out the curse word or avoided it altogether.

Overall, I felt that this has been just another average self-help book. I appreciated the many techniques and concepts, but I have heard them before or different variations of those same concepts. However, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not find any grammatical errors and it was well organized! If you are spiritual then this is a good book for you to try and discover for yourself.

Break Your Self Help Addiction
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jemgirl202's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I thought from the title that he would be criticizing our society's preoccupation with self-help systems. It sounds like he is just pushing his own.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I found the title of Break Your Self-Help Addiction rather ironic for a self-help book. On top of that, it is interesting that it sounds like there might not be very much about getting away from self-helps books.

Thanks for the review on this one. I was curious about that premise when I saw this title.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It sounds like this book has its merits, and it also has its downside. I don't think we can all just adhere to one way of thinking about things. I do think what you said about fear is the truth to most things for all of us. Where we walk in fear, we stop our own blessings. The title seems a little misleading in that it is supposed to stop the reader from the self help route, but then it sounds like another self help book. Throw in the curse words, and I am just out on this one. I mean, I know people use that kind of language, but in this format of trying to encourage people, it seems a little out of order. Thank you for your thorough review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Alwaystkd
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaystkd.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Alwaystkd »

Thank you so much for such an honest review. At first, I was thinking this Self-Help Book was going to inspirational and something everyone would need. Who doesn't need to be inspired? Then as I read to the end of your review I realized that's not the case at all.
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

teacherjh wrote: 10 May 2018, 12:29 I thought from the title that he would be criticizing our society's preoccupation with self-help systems. It sounds like he is just pushing his own.
Yes, I was hoping for a fresh perspective that would be encouraging a person not pushing their own! Thank you for reading!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I had considered picking up this book and am glad I didn't. I would be completely put-off by the author's seeming aggression toward converting people to his system of beliefs. I feel like he may be missing a fundamental concept of what the tone of this type of book should be. He should also consider what audience he is trying to reach. Well done providing such a reflective review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sounds like an interesting book. But, as you point out, also dangerous. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not much into self-help books to begin with. Then add that this one is more spiritual, and you've pretty much lost me. I'm glad that the author was able to find something to help him through his difficult life. Thanks for sharing this with us, but I think I'm going to skip it for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

jemgirl202 wrote: 09 May 2018, 18:29 Overall, I felt that this has been just another average self-help book.
That's a great line. I find it amusing that there's a self-help book claiming to help rid people of an addiction to self-help books. However, I think you went out of your way to be fair in your review. I would have lost patience, I think, if not over the insistence that his way is the only way, then over the cancer thing.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The review shows that "Break Your Self Help Addiction" book is one more self help book where author himself says that he faced that challenge of coming out of addiction.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

This book is definitely not for me. Thanks for the review.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Hmmm, this is a very helpful review-- this book apparently isn't at all what I would have expected based on the title, which I was intrigued by. Based on your review, though, I doubt it's my cup of tea. Oh well. Thank you very much for reviewing it.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I thought that the book would hack something above the self-help addiction. From the review, I think the author used the title just to attract people to the book especially those who judge a book by its cover. Thanks for the informative and bold review.
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 10 May 2018, 12:38 I found the title of Break Your Self-Help Addiction rather ironic for a self-help book. On top of that, it is interesting that it sounds like there might not be very much about getting away from self-helps books.

Thanks for the review on this one. I was curious about that premise when I saw this title.
Yes, I agree. I think they could have had a different title or presented their argument differently. I think that would have helped my overall impression.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”