Official Review: Dreaming of Daniel by J M Admore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: Dreaming of Daniel by J M Admore

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreaming of Daniel" by J M Admore.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dreaming of Daniel is a story about Ava McCoy, a teenage girl who lived on the island of Tamuto. Ava had always been drawn to the ocean and loved to go fishing there with her father and uncle. However, when an old, distant memory was suddenly triggered due to a certain event, she remembered about her discovery of Daniel and his father nine years ago as well as the shocking existence of the Mer. Deciding to see for herself if he was actually real, Ava searched for Daniel and everything changed after that.

My first impression was in regards to the cover of the book as well as the title. I found them simple yet enchanting at the same time, leading to my interest as to what could possibly be in the contents. Thus, when I finished the premise, I had a lot of curious questions in my mind such as why Ava's mother seemed to be so afraid of the water unlike Ava and her father and even why the knowledge of the Mer world was forbidden to the humans. I was very engaged in the book until the time-skip came along.

Ava and Daniel's chemistry was, unfortunately, not very appealing in my opinion. Back when they first met as children, I liked their scene together and felt like it was fate. I also loved Daniel as a kid since he was so innocent and charming, something which drew me to him immediately. However, when they met again after nine years, it suddenly moved too fast for my taste. They kept seeing each other secretly despite the danger of risking the existence of the Mer world, constantly saying that it was because they had an undeniable connection. There was no room for a development of friendship between them. Basically, there was never even any thrill. I practically predicted their relationship and mostly every single thing that happened to them.

All in all, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Because of the promising premise, I gave this a chance until the end, but the plot was clearly lacking. Not only was Ava's character very frustrating at times, but I also didn't feel like Daniel had any real personality other than showing how his world revolved around Ava despite barely knowing her. The author's writing style had potential, but there were too many typos, grammatical errors, and excessive or inappropriate use of commas.

If you’re looking for a light read about romance with fantasy elements, then maybe this book is for you, but I honestly don’t want to recommend this to anyone unless the book becomes properly edited, proofread, and revised.

Dreaming of Daniel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Aubrey Cana Laine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like puppy love to me, the chemistry between Ava and Daniel as you put it is far lacking. This is truly disappointing! A book like this should have been MORE promising if the author had provided a more realistic plot. The characters should have been a lot fulfilling. Daniel reminded me of a character that I read in a book. So unrealistic that you don't no or haven't seen this person for a very long time and yet you claim that my world is revolved around you. Why don't you let them get to know each other and see what happens. When the suspense of the book is clearly taken way, it takes way the purpose out of the book. Thank you for sharing this book through your review, it would have been much fulfilling if the author was more careful with his direct.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

I think I would like reading this book. The cover tells me there is something inside that would enhance me or disappoint me. But I will use brevity to conquer my curiosity reading this book "Dreaming of Daniel" The characters as you mentioned seems to be interesting and imbued in their own world living out their own lethargy. The author J.M. Admore might finally get her full ratings.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like that you mention the reunion of the pair progressed too quickly, without developing a real friendship first. With the some care, the author could have made this a better book. Thanks for your review!
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for your review. I will give this book a miss because I hate it when the plot is lacking and also because of the editorial mistakes.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I'm disappointed that the book doesn't live up to the cover. Like you, I liked that cover and thought it would be a fun book. I agree that the lack of friendship in a romance is disappointing, too. I wish we would see more books that encourage young people to develop relationships based on friendship instead of looking for that "magical" relationship where the boy changes everything to make his entire obsessive world revolve around the girl (I'm looking at you, Twilight).
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the premise of this story. The Mer people sound enchanting, and I'm wondering what's going on with the family. It's too bad it wasn't fully developed. I think I'll avoid this until after some edits are made. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

How disappointing. The cover looks appealing and it's the first mermaid book I've seen here. Too bad it was poorly executed.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

The cover actually did look appealing. Thak you for your helpful review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the insightful review; it seems like I would have to give this a miss.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

The book cover gave the story more appeal. A story that loses a reader from the beginning has never been able to draw the reader's attention again. Those are the most hardest books to read. Very nice review.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”