Official Review: Ice Queen by Julie L. Casey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Ice Queen by Julie L. Casey

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ice Queen" by Julie L. Casey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is a certainty that given the global dependence on electric power, a large percentage of the world's population would be ill-prepared if something as catastrophic as an earth-wide power failure should occur. Yet, this is what has happened in this book, and in addition to her family problems, teenage Taylor must find ways to survive in a world devoid of electricity or electronics.

Ice queen is the third novel in the teenage survivalist series by author Julie L. Casey. In this book, she tells the story of Taylor, a teenager who is saddled with junkie parents and an equally addicted older brother named Irvine. When one day, the sun spews electromagnetic waves that destroy the earth’s power grid, all equipment and gadgets that depend on electricity stop working. Being no stranger to survival as her parents have not exactly been in a position to take care of her, she has to go with her family to live on her uncle’s hog farm. The account of Taylor’s survival as told in this book makes a very interesting read.

Initially, I was worried that I would be unable to fully understand this story due to the fact that I chose to read book three first. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that each of the books in this series tells the survival story of a different individual when the world experiences power failure. This writing style is one that will definitely appeal to the books’ target audience. Also, the entire story is told in the first person narrative from the viewpoint of a teenage girl; this will make it easy for teenage readers to find themselves immersed in the story.

This captivating story teaches resilience in the face of adversity. It reinforces the truth that bleak situations are not the end of the world. Taylor’s mental strength and the way she quickly picks up survival skills serves to remind young girls that being female does not in any way equate to being weak. On the contrary, there is a reversal of roles as she is the one who most times has to look out for her family, especially her mother and brother.

For being one of the most entertaining and educative books I've read, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The entire account is properly sequenced and looks professionally edited. I most definitely would love to read another teenage survivalist story.

Ice Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Smriti Bharti
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Smriti Bharti »

Nice review
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like the plot. Taylor seems like a great teenager. Even if she has a complicated family, she is a strong person. I definitely like the fact that she is a feminist. If this is the thrid book in the series, is it necessary to read the previous books to understand? Do you recommend them? Really great review!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow, this would be devastating. Not because of no electronics or what not, but some people depend on electricity for health reasons. It would be an interesting read I am sure. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This book hits so many things I am interested in. I definitely want to read it, and I may want to order it for my school library.
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

This sounds like a book I would really enjoy. The concept of it being part of a series but each book being from a different characters perspective really grabbed my attention. Would you say the overall feeling of the book would be considered suspense?
Sammi Arch
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 10 May 2018, 02:15 I like the plot. Taylor seems like a great teenager. Even if she has a complicated family, she is a strong person. I definitely like the fact that she is a feminist. If this is the thrid book in the series, is it necessary to read the previous books to understand? Do you recommend them? Really great review!
She is indeed a strong person.
You will understand the story even if you have not read the previous books. Of course, I highly recommend them. Thank you :)
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

AmySmiles wrote: 10 May 2018, 09:05 Wow, this would be devastating. Not because of no electronics or what not, but some people depend on electricity for health reasons. It would be an interesting read I am sure. Thanks for the review!
I couldn’t agree more. I’m glad you liked the review
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

teacherjh wrote: 10 May 2018, 11:49 This book hits so many things I am interested in. I definitely want to read it, and I may want to order it for my school library.
It would make a great addition to your school library.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

SammiArch wrote: 10 May 2018, 18:11 This sounds like a book I would really enjoy. The concept of it being part of a series but each book being from a different characters perspective really grabbed my attention. Would you say the overall feeling of the book would be considered suspense?
Would I really say suspense? While there is a little suspense, It’s more of a survival story. You just find yourself carried away in the story and rooting for Taylor. It’s a really wonderful story.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thank you for a great review! It's always helpful when books can be part of a series but still read like a standalone.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Is it me, or is the cover really off-putting? I nearly skipped one and that would have been a real shame because it sounds as though I would really enjoy this. I certainly enjoyed your review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”