Official Review: Accidental Spirituality by George Kaufman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Official Review: Accidental Spirituality by George Kaufman

Post by jemgirl202 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Accidental Spirituality" by George Kaufman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are times when we reflect on ourselves, others around us, and events and sometimes discover something that wasn’t there before. If we would have taken the time to be aware the first time, we wouldn’t have missed it. That is what Accidental Spirituality by George Kaufman is all about. This is a collection of essays written about human emotion and the wisdom to help us find our true selves.

This is a spiritual memoir of sorts. George Kaufman is a member of the Omega Institute, which is an educational holistic institution. The book is 190 pages and divided into five sections. Each section begins with a blessing. In each section, the author tackles emotion, finding ourselves and life in general. He uses history, literature, and his own life events as examples of his arguments. In these essays, he reminds readers to slow down and enjoy the world around us. Rushing will only cause us to miss all that life has to offer.

This is an absolutely splendid read. I am very pleasantly surprised! In the past, I have found that spiritual memoirs can come across haughty or arrogant and make the reader feel as if they aren’t spiritual enough or religious enough. That is not this case with this book. The author believes in the reader and encourages them to work at their own pace. He is adamant that all our journeys will be different than his own.

One of my favorite aspects of the book was the discussion about worry and stress. The author discusses how everyone worries. To help with the worry or stress one needs to be aware of the beauty around us and practice self-care. As someone who struggles with anxiety, I could really connect to the authors' words about worry and stress. I also practice yoga and found that this book helps in that practice of being aware of my emotions. However, I enjoyed the book as a whole as well. The book is very clear and organized. It is very well edited and I did not spot any grammar mistakes. Also, the book is not slow but surprisingly engaging and a quick read!

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to anyone who is looking to discover more about their emotions and finding their true self. I feel that this book is accepting of everyone. So anyone spiritual or religious could agree with the words of wisdom that the author has to offer.

Accidental Spirituality
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jemgirl202's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm very happy about a book that spread peace rather than what is great than the other. I'm happy that you enjoyed this book and found it resourceful. Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, a spiritual memoir is really not my cup of tea. So, I'll probably have to take a pass on this one. I do kind of like the title, though. I'm curious about the author's journey, but not enough to pick it up. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow- it's taken me years to learn the lessons of being aware and following my heart and letting go of worry. I wish this book had crossed my path as a young adult.
butterflyinaweb
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyinaweb.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by butterflyinaweb »

I might just add this to the bookshelf in the hall for my whole family to read. I think we all struggle with worry and stress. Thank you for this wonderful review.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

The title caught my attention, and I enjoyed your review, but it's just not something I'm looking for right now. Maybe later on. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 08 May 2018, 08:56 I'm very happy about a book that spread peace rather than what is great than the other. I'm happy that you enjoyed this book and found it resourceful. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for reading my review! I found that helping people in a peaceful rather a forceful way is best!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book and may even have gained a new perspective on how to handle your own troubles with anxiety. Thanks for a great review!
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 May 2018, 13:11 Well, a spiritual memoir is really not my cup of tea. So, I'll probably have to take a pass on this one. I do kind of like the title, though. I'm curious about the author's journey, but not enough to pick it up. Thanks for the information.
I totally understand~ Thanks for reading!
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 May 2018, 13:11 Well, a spiritual memoir is really not my cup of tea. So, I'll probably have to take a pass on this one. I do kind of like the title, though. I'm curious about the author's journey, but not enough to pick it up. Thanks for the information.
That's generally my reaction too, but since the reviewer said it stands out from other spiritual memoirs in the tone, I'm tempted to give it a go
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

This was a very helpful review! I was considering reading this book but I don't have any desire to read a book that is preachy or is written with an agenda of someone else's religion. It doesn't seem like this book is that way, based on your review. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for your great review!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

teacherjh wrote: 08 May 2018, 14:31 Wow- it's taken me years to learn the lessons of being aware and following my heart and letting go of worry. I wish this book had crossed my path as a young adult.
Yes! The whole book just explains how to be aware. I love that it is a quick read as well!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”