Review by AmySmiles -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Review by AmySmiles -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by AmySmiles »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a thriller involving guns, politics, and new age gadgetry.

Would you want to know when you are going to die? Does the thought of senior citizens having access to guns at a discount bother you? Do you enjoy a good political debate? How do you feel about immigrants especially those who are illegal? If any of these subjects interest you, chances are you will enjoy this book.

Vince and his wife Trudi are getting older, and life seems to keep reminding Vince of that fact every day. Advertisements from the NRA explain they are offering guns to senior citizens for a discount. Vince can’t help but wonder if the bully would have knocked him down the other day if he would have known Vince was carrying a gun. In fact, the NRA advertisements lead Vince to believe that is why he needs to own a gun. The NRA representatives state, that if seniors would carry openly and flash their gun around, that crime rates will decrease. Vince decides it’s time to get a new computer so that he can do his own research on the subject.

Vijay Patel has invented a new sports watch that is able to measure and analyze blood, pulse, oxygen level, and other medical measurements. Even though it was designed to diagnose and predict health problems, it was intended to be easy to use and understand. The watch also has a feature that would give the user their “final notice”. It would allow them to make their final arrangements, get affairs in order, and do what is needed before their most certain death. For testing, 100 of the watches are given to doctors, to hand out to patients that meet certain criteria.

Final Notice follows these two story lines addressing the numerous issues that are bound to ensue. Will people use the final notice they are given through the device as intended? How does Vince feel about all of these events and what will he decide to do himself? This book gets you turning the pages as you try to figure out what is going to happen next. Many controversial issues will keep you on the edge of your seat, as you decide to figure out for yourself just how you feel about certain matters.

I really liked Final Notice because it made me stop and think about how I felt regarding different topics addressed in this book. This is a fiction book, but it felt like it could have been a true story. So many issues, especially about gun control and illegal immigrants, are existent in our own current news.

I enjoyed how the author introduced each subplot, keeping them as their own separate theme, but connecting it to the whole story as well. The flow of the story kept me entertained, and I felt like I was right there with the characters. There were so many characters than what I mentioned above, but the author did a good job at introducing them at the right time. This way the reader doesn't become overwhelmed with too many things at once. There was enough suspense to keep me guessing and enough flow to help from getting bored. I couldn’t stop turning the pages!

I am not big on politics, but I still found the political issues in this story interesting. The topics were very relevant to what is going on currently with gun issues and illegal immigrants. I felt like this book could have been a real-life story following true events from the last couple of years. I could easily see this book becoming a reading requirement for students in literature or English class in high school. The topics lend themselves to good conversation starters that would definitely lead to good class discussions.

I found only a couple of negative items worth mentioning. One is that there was a little bit of strong language used, but not enough to be bothersome. It really seemed unnecessary and could have been avoided. The other negative was that some of the topics might be morally challenging, for instance, those who find suicide to be too sensitive a subject.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Final Notice was well written and very likely professionally edited. I believe that anyone that enjoys reading thrillers involving controversial issues that will get you thinking will love this book. This book would be appropriate for anyone 15 years and older. It is a fun read alone but would be even more fun to read together in a book club.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AmySmiles's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review! My only worry about reading it in clubs etc. would be the possibility of fights breaking out as the politics of guns are very polar.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your review, for the detailed analysis and explanation of the plot! (:
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder

Post by AmySmiles »

Helen_Combe wrote: 09 May 2018, 08:20 Great review! My only worry about reading it in clubs etc. would be the possibility of fights breaking out as the politics of guns are very polar.
A very valid concern. Thanks for reading!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

gen_g wrote: 09 May 2018, 09:30 Thank you for your review, for the detailed analysis and explanation of the plot! (:
Thanks for reading!
–Author Unknown
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Helen_Combe wrote: 09 May 2018, 08:20 Great review! My only worry about reading it in clubs etc. would be the possibility of fights breaking out as the politics of guns are very polar.
It's sad to me that people of opposing viewpoints can so seldom hold a civil conversation.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I wondered when I was reading it - how did the watch monitor blood?
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

teacherjh wrote: 09 May 2018, 14:04 I wondered when I was reading it - how did the watch monitor blood?
I wondered the same thing... Thanks for reading my review!
–Author Unknown
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree. Mr. Fleisher has a perfect way of keeping something like politics fascinating. I am by no means interested in anything political, but he made it all sound super interesting.
Thanks for the great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 May 2018, 02:47 I agree. Mr. Fleisher has a perfect way of keeping something like politics fascinating. I am by no means interested in anything political, but he made it all sound super interesting.
Thanks for the great review :)
Yes he sure does. Thanks for reading.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read and enjoyed this book as well. It was interesting, though, how the narrator kind of inserted himself into the story. That felt a little off to me. Still, I liked it. Thanks for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 May 2018, 10:16 I read and enjoyed this book as well. It was interesting, though, how the narrator kind of inserted himself into the story. That felt a little off to me. Still, I liked it. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for reading!
–Author Unknown
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Sounds like the type of book that I like to read. I really like books about controversial subjects that have a dystopian feel to them.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Kitkat3 wrote: 10 May 2018, 17:39 Sounds like the type of book that I like to read. I really like books about controversial subjects that have a dystopian feel to them.
I really do think most people could enjoy this book. I hope you get a chance to read it.
–Author Unknown
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I've considered reading this book before but have never really come to a final decision. I like the premise, but the political nature of the content concerns me. Thanks for this review. It's certainly given me a bit more to think about concerning this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”