Do you picture actors in your mind when you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
bookjunky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Do you picture actors in your mind when you read?

Post by bookjunky »

Yes, sometimes I do. Especially if I don't like the way the character's looks are described in the book. My minds eye will reveal to me how I picture them to be, or I substitute a hot actor, Pierce Brosnan comes to mind.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

The only time I really pictured actors is when i read Harry Potter. I saw the movie and thought the actors looked perfect for their roles so I ended up replacing the pictures in my head with the actors whenever I re-read the books. Otherwise, I try not to.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Usually I only picture the actors if I see the movie or show first. If I read the book first then I make them up in my head. The one major acception is Paul Newman. If an author doesn't give me as much description as I'd like or if the description involves a chiseled jaw and blue eyes I just plug Paul in there and he works great!
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
Sheila+Brackeen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sheila+Brackeen »

Many times I picture the characters in the book I am reading. That is what makes a great book to read if it fiction or even non-fiction because you can lose yourself while reading the book. I tend to tune out the noise around me. I love to have something to read while waiting for the doctor, in a restaurant, etc. Makes the time go by faster.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Of course, I picture actors when reading, but I mostly take the lead but then, this also depends on certain things because I can't play all the roles well.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

dhomespot wrote:I try to picture the character by how the author describes them. I do not always agree with who they choose to play parts in the movies that are based on books. This is because, they never look like what I pictured.
Yes, It kinda throws me off. Like, c'mon! They are described perfectly, is it hard to find someone who at least looks a bit like the character?
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I only picture average people. If they are fictional characters then I picture someone new in my head based on the description form the author. Although picturing actors sounds like a lot of fun. Something I should try next book maybe?
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Only if I've managed to see a movie or TV-series based on the book first (had a hard time with Vampire Diaries because of that).
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I create images of characters for sure, every single time, but I don't envision any known actors.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Yes, sometimes, specially when I have watched the movies first before trying the book. Some actors/actresses make the characters so alive that even when reading their faces stick to your mind. This has been the case with Harry potter Series and A Song of Ice and Fire series. I can not think of Tyrion Lannister without seeing Peter Dinklage, nor can I ever envision Professor Snape saying "five points from Gryffindor" without seeing Alan Rickman!
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I picture myself as the protagonist most times while reading.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Totally! I do this all the time. For example if there's a stereotypical good looking man, I'll just imagine Chris Evans or someone else generic like that, ha!
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Only if I see the movie first do I picture actors. Then, I hate the film industry for robbing me of my imagination. That's why I really try to read the book first.
RichardHaight
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Unbound Soul

Post by RichardHaight »

This is an interesting question. I'm not sure I picture characters in much detail at all when I read. I'd never considered the way that I picture characters. I'll have to pay attention to how or even if I visualize when reading from now on. What I can say for sure, is if a character image was included on the cover, I will see some semblance of that image while reading, but what of characters that are not depicted on the cover? Don't know.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

obiebookworm wrote: 08 Nov 2013, 02:24 Many times! I just finished reading Mr. Lynch's Holiday and I could see the main characters played by Seth Rogen and Liam Neeson.
I do the same too. I picture the characters and the settings.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”