Review by jeminah28 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Review by jeminah28 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you tense to see a circus performance? I enjoyed watching circus show when I was a young kid. I also shouted in awe as they perform unbelievably on the stage. I witness shocking performances as the performers balance their weight in a single rope and the high ladder. It is a hazardous job, yet some people risk their lives. Why?

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid was written by Gary Robinson will take you to a story of a runaway kid. Duke Reynolds entered in a circus life when he was young. He was trained and learned to swallow a sword. Why did he choose this kind of work? How could he cheat death? Is it a trick? He meets a guy named Garry from Chico, California. Would Duke teach Garry to swallow a sword? How does Duke influence Garry's life?

This book indicates the life of the circus people. They make their audiences smile, yet their life is reciprocal to what they are executing. Will they continue living a life like this? Is a sword swallower still happening this day?

The story makes me stunned when the sword swallower accomplishes his task. It is full of entertainment and very interesting. I feel I am in the circus show gazing at them. I like the tattoo scenes, too. The author wanted his audience to understand that tattooing is also a fashion. The tattoo was being used in ancient times anywhere in the world. Each culture has its own concept of tattoo. Unfortunately, tattooing is the trademark of criminals, slaves and a few brave men.

I love this phrase, "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend." Love must prevail. Love heals someone's heartaches. However, the book contains explicit scenes of cigarette smoking and drugs. Parental guidance is needed to a minor reader. I will recommend this book to a person who loves to consider circus sideshow. A person who likes adventures will also enjoy this book.

The story was inspired by the author's friendship with an old circus sword swallower. The prologue prompts my interest to read this book. I wanted to know the journey of a sword swallower. The story flows well and is easy to comprehend. I did not meet any misspelled words in this book. The grammar is good as well as the concept of the story. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The circus sideshow reminds of my childhood memories with my friends. This book entertains me on my idle time. I also grasped some ideas to think about with.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jeminah28's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I really like the structure of your review-simple yet very informative.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

I have enjoyed the circus since my early childhood, have once performed in the circus, have seen so many "sword swallowing" in my time being with the circus. The brief synopsis shared by you of the content of the book; makes me think that I may not enjoy reading it. Mainly because of the illicit language and drugs; It seems as though it is "raw" reading and that can turn me off. Detective story's with drug trafficking is okay.

Great Post!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Being a sword swallower is certainly a unique talent. Seems like an interesting story. Thanks for your review.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

Nice review. I am eager to read this one, too.
Jeremie Mondejar

:P
Jgideon wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:21 I really like the structure of your review-simple yet very informative.
Thanks to you.
Jeremie

alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

good review, lovely to see you had a good time with this book
Jeremie Mondejar

alisonedgee wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 11:20 good review, lovely to see you had a good time with this book
:tiphat: thank you :tiphat:
Jeremie

Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

I have not yet been exposed to the circus really. Once as a child but don't really remember it. Thanks for your review.
R Benedicta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-benedicta.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by R Benedicta »

1. "The Sword Swallower and Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson is a captivating and thought-provoking read.
JuliusOnyango
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusonyango.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by JuliusOnyango »

Reading this book was an eye-opener for me. I used to hear about sword-swallowing but I never knew much about it. This book gave me a better perspective. Beautiful review. I enjoyed reading it.
JuliusOnyango
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusonyango.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by JuliusOnyango »

Being a fan of the circus, I am definitely going to read this book. Thanks for an excellent review.
Peace Eze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

This book is one of a kind. I enjoyed the storyline of the book. I also like the setting.
Rose Odiwuor
Currently Reading: Wisdom
Bookshelf Size: 14
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Rose Odiwuor »

From the reviews of the sword swallower and a chico kid I have gained an interest of reading the book in order to know more about circus because I had only seen them in movies and also I am curious whether Duke taught Garry how to swallow the sword and also how the lives of those in the circus entertaining audience is completely different.
Rose Odiwuor
Currently Reading: Wisdom
Bookshelf Size: 14
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Rose Odiwuor »

From the reviews of the sword swallower and a chico kid I have gained an interest of reading the book in order to know more about circus because I had only seen them in movies and also I am curious whether Duke taught Garry how to swallow the sword and also how the lives of those in the circus entertaining audience is completely different.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”