Review by Gunnyswife -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gunnyswife
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnyswife.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Review by Gunnyswife -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by gunnyswife »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fletcher takes us through a world that faces a very real question that only an individual can answer. If you knew you had only one week to live, what would you do? How many of us would take the time to get our affairs in order, say our goodbyes and be at peace with the world? In this book, the answer to that question is given through the eyes of many who receive their “Final Notice” as we see how people react to receiving the unfortunate news.

From the elderly men and women to the powerful men that are part of the VitalTech VT2 watch’s alpha and beta program learning that they have a very limited window of time to be at peace, we learn that there is more to human nature than immediately being generous or nostalgic. Coupled with this is the underlying message of gun control and acceptance.

I enjoyed reading Final Notice and it truly put the world that we currently share into perspective. The messages that Van Fletcher sends throughout the book show us that our nation is far from perfect and far from being a safe-haven for those that are seeking to live in peace. It brings to light the corrupt nature of our government as well, showing how politicians no longer play by the rules that were once established, instead following their greed over what their people want.

The tone of Final Notice is very much one that frowns on guns and on the ultimate knowledge that there is nothing that can be done for the human condition when faced with the decision that answers the question of time and what to do when you know you’re running out.

I didn’t care for the politics that are spread throughout, as I feel fiction should stay fiction. Though this book did get me thinking about what I would do in situations where the politics were a bit closer to home than most. Knowing that the NRA very much stands as a block to actual control policies with our nation and encourages people to have weapons they don’t need when words themselves will work makes me wonder just how far we are willing to go as a society. The message of acceptance is more akin to what I believe; it shouldn’t matter where a person is from so long as you are good and kind.

I give Final Notice by Van Fletcher four out of four stars because it is a great read that makes a person think and though the politics are distasteful to me, there are many more that would enjoy learning the things that this book teaches. So I ask you what Final Notice does. If you knew you had a week to live, what would you do?

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gunnyswife's review? Post a comment saying so!
It's amazing to see the world through the eyes of children. It's more fun to read with them, too.
Lavidainlife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavidainlife.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Lavidainlife »

Hmmm...what a great concept! To bad the author put in so much politics, I'm kind of tired of all the fighting as it is. Still, the concept sounds intriguing. I still might be interested in trading this book.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I liked the plot of the story but not the politicking.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”