Official Review: Anatomy of a Ghost;

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Anatomy of a Ghost;

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anatomy of a Ghost;" by Robin M. Strom-Mackey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man has always been fascinated by the things that he couldn’t understand. Ghosts, spirits, life-after-death, and near-death experiences are some of the things that are still shrouded in mystery. There are staunch believers who, sometimes, claim to have witnessed such a thing; there are people who adamantly refuse to believe in this stuff because they think it is unscientific; and then, there are sceptics, the ones who don’t want to be superstitious but are ready to keep an open mind. No matter what category you belong to, Anatomy of a Ghost will resonate with you, one way or another.

Written by Robin M. Strom-Mackey, this book is the product of her about-a-decade-long career as a paranormal investigator. It is an account of the things she has seen, stories she has heard, theories she has read, and all the experiences that she has accumulated over the years. In Anatomy of a Ghost, Strom-Mackey gives the first-hand account of what it is like to study the paranormal. Owing to movies and TV shows, people have formed their own, rather wrong, concepts about supernatural phenomena. Trying to rectify these misgivings, this book presents paranormal investigation in a whole new light.

It tells the readers about different types of ghost stories in different cultures. It explores and compares the traditions of different societies; and discusses the origins of certain myths and folklore and how they fit into the popular culture. It provides an insight into the inception and the history of paranormal investigation and, also, tells us about a bunch of scientists who were a part of this community. What adds to its authenticity is that the author has used science to explain everything. So, even if you are someone who doesn’t believe in the paranormal, you can’t disagree with the science that explains it.

There were some good stories in this book. The way they were told is what made them better. The writing style felt welcoming and friendly. It’s like the author was inviting me into her world, giving a sneak-peak of how things work down the rabbit-hole. Anatomy of a Ghost might not frighten you out of your wits, but you can’t go to sleep with this book. It is scary that way. What makes it eerier is that it is not fiction, the author is not making it all up. It is the result of a thorough research by an unbiased mind. If not for the scare, you can read it to simply understand the traditions and beliefs that circulate certain parts of the world. In this sense, this book can be quite educational. It employs a balanced mix of science and spirituality to explain the concepts that otherwise seem extraordinary. The smart explanations will compel you to think about these things, even if you’re not a believer.

My rating for Anatomy of a Ghost is 3 out of 4 stars. As much as I enjoyed reading this book, there were a handful of grammatical mistakes that prevented me from giving it a perfect rating. If you like watching scary movies or reading ghost stories, or you are someone who wants to find a meaning behind all these mysteries, then you should definitely read this book. The logical and scientific approach of the writer makes this book stand out of the horde of other books available on the same subject. As a student of science, it was refreshing for me to read about the things that I had read in school, but in a completely different context.

This book will quickly hook you to itself with scary stories, and then, slowly, it'll transport you to a zone where you begin to understand everything, especially when the science kicks in. The air of mystery hovers throughout the book, and you'll find yourself more and more interested in the thoughts that the author wants to convey through it.

Anatomy of a Ghost;
View: on Bookshelves

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Although it could be interesting to learn about the folklore of different societies, the scary aspects of this book deter me. I appreciate your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Too bad about the grammatical errors. I think I may add this to my list though, these types of books do interest me. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too bad about the grammatical errors though. The book seem very promising but what fascinating me the most is the first hand encounter on her actually decade experience with the paranormal agenda. A real live experience is a worth read. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
AkieCJ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AkieCJ »

The book is too fascinating and i think real experience is worth reading. But i feel too bad for grammatical errors. Thank you.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

I got scared easily with the title I know everyone would be very eager to know about Anatomy of Ghost, There are different version in the story with the encounter with the ghosts, i don't know if the author emphasized that this really happened and if they conduct an interview with persons involved, did they also conduct an investigation and invited a paranormal expert? Yeah I hope by continuing reading this book I will have all the answers.
What goes around comes around
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can appreciate that there would be those that would love this book. I'm not one of them, though. I'm just not really into ghosts or ghost stories or proving ghosts are real. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Schwartzdboss1234

Post by Schwartzdboss1234 »

I got scared easily with the title I know everyone would be very eager to know about Anatomy of Ghost, There are different version in the story with the encounter with the ghosts, i don't know if the author emphasized that this really happened and if they conduct an interview with persons involved, did they also conduct an investigation and invited a paranormal expert? Yeah I hope by continuing reading this book I will have all the answers.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

While I don't personally believe in ghosts, I do love a good ghost story, so this sounds like my kind of book. I'm especially interested in how different cultures and societies perceive ghosts, as well as the history of myths and folklore. Thanks so much for the introduction and thorough review!
_lina

Post by _lina »

Maybe I believe in a ghost. Because there's a one time I've seen my door opening it slowly. But I respect also the others opinion so all I can say is I love your introductions and review. Keep up the good work. God bless
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

I am drawn to this book because I do believe they exist. I am particularly interested in the scientific ways of documenting them. Sounds like a good read.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This sounds really interesting, because I love all things paranormal and any science that may exist to prove its existence. Great review!
bwill93
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bwill93.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by bwill93 »

I am legitimately interested in reading this book now. I recently read a book by Dr. Raymond Moody, the man who coined the term near-death experience. His scientific approach to supernatural phenomena was carefully explained and justified. It sounds like this book also views the supernatural from a scientific approach, which is great. I love the multi-cultural approach to ghost stories as well, which is unique.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Your synopsis and critique of this book has me intrigued, and I'm tempted to pick it up :) I especially like that there's diversity in the stories--death and the paranormal/world beyond are a big part of any culture, so i think it's a really interesting lens through which to learn about different cultures. Thank you for your insightful review!
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

I haven't ever really read anything in this genre before, sounds like it could be interesting, and I would like the more factual/researched approach. You've definitely piqued my interest with this review, thanks!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”