Official Review: The Talisman of Hope series.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: The Talisman of Hope series.

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Talisman of Hope series." by Janet Bradley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Talisman of Hope: Book One - The Stonemason's Curse by Janet Bradley draws on many high fantasy elements, including creatures such as orcs, dragons, and elves, as well as a fight against an all-consuming evil mage who threatens to destroy the land. These story beats are familiar, and even if they may be somewhat over-used, Bradley employs them remarkably effectively. The book's prose matches the high fantasy genre as well; it is thorough without being overly verbose.

The story follows Talia, a half-elf, half-Dardinax woman who has been chosen as the bearer of the eponymous talisman, as she attempts to lift a spell that has turned the residents of the village she grew up into stone. The Dardinax are a warlike people who support the Blood Mage in his quest to conquer the world, so she must struggle against negative perceptions of her race almost everywhere she goes. In her quest, she is joined by Brymble, an often-inebriated sorcerer who serves as an unconventional twist on the genre's typical mentor figure, and Ivus, a womanizing elven prince, along with several other companions spanning a variety of races.

This book's greatest strength is the variety of environments it throws its characters into. The Stonemason's Curse is full of inventive locations like the Creek of the Crying Cradles and the Windwhistle, with a variety of fantastic beasts and other obstacles for her party to overcome. While it could be argued that Bradley relies too much on common fantasy tropes, I found enough unique elements to make the book not feel like a carbon copy of other narratives, including the forest-dwelling Querrilian and the inventive monsters Talia's troupe had to face up against.

There are a few aspects of the book that I can see deterring potential readers, though. The book's narrative lacks some polish with regards to its formatting; some chapters stretch on for over an hour, while some take less than ten minutes to read, with no distinguishable stylistic reason. The book also seemed to cut out at the end, without a real resolution or conclusion. There are also many grammatical errors, some of which change the meaning of entire sentences, including missing commas or quotation marks and even no space between two words on some occasions.

Ultimately, I rate The Stonemason's Curse 3 out of 4 stars. It succeeds in telling an engaging high fantasy adventure, but the formatting and grammatical errors prevent it from receiving full marks. I'd recommend it to devoted fans of this genre who enjoy long-form narratives, as opposed to light reading and don't mind moderately prevalent grammatical errors. People who are not fond of these things, or who are put off by setting-appropriate gore, would not enjoy this book.

The Talisman of Hope series.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It’s too bad about the grammatical errors. It sounds like it has a lot going for it otherwise. Thanks for an informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Too bad about all the errors. I don't enjoy this genre, but it sounds like you enjoyed the book mostly. Thanks for the review..
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Whats good about fantasy read is that it knows to bring the mystical creatures alive but too bad about the errors. Thank you for a detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

The thing I love about fantasy is the oriental environment and characters, parr of that comes from the writing style. Did that translate to the text?
AkieCJ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AkieCJ »

I felt too bad about the grammatical errors. I'm a big fan of fantasy books but i don't enjoy it.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

It's a shame about the grammar and formatting issues. Sounds like such a great book, but i'm so tired of reading poorly edited works. thanks for the review, I doubt i'll check this one out, even if it sounds right up my ally.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”