Official Review: Driving in Reverse by Lindsay Wincherauk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Driving in Reverse by Lindsay Wincherauk

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Driving in Reverse" by Lindsay Wincherauk.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Driving in Reverse: The Life I Almost Missed is a poignant and awe-inspiring memoir by Lindsay Wincherauk.

Lindsay was the youngest of seven children. Even as a child, he didn’t feel loved by his siblings and his parents seem too old to hang out or bond with him like the parents of his classmates and peers. In a way, Lindsay felt guilty for coming so late in his parents’ lives and causing financial strains. His guilt intensified when they fought about money.

When Lindsay’s much older siblings moved out of the house to live their own lives, Lindsay and his brother Brian were left to help care for their father until the old man died of cancer. Their mother died of the same dreaded disease a couple of years after. With the death of his mother, Lindsay totally became an outsider in his family. In 2003, as he was trying to recover from a failed relationship, Lindsay planned a trip to Europe and accidentally uncovered a painful secret about his identity. As he desperately tried to put the pieces of his shattered life together in his epic 31 Day Escape to Europe with his friend Dave, he learned about an even more painful truth.

This is a poignant memoir of a brave and courageous man who never gave up on life. Told not necessarily in chronological order but in flashbacks and flash forwards, the book is a tale of an extraordinary man who endured physical, emotional, mental and psychological ordeal which include visual impairment, several surgeries (mostly on the knee), painful break-ups and life-shattering revelations. Most painful of this, I think, is the feeling of isolation that resulted from being alienated from his family for as far as he could remember.

The story is told in lighthearted and even comical tone, probably the author’s way of ‘turning pain into laughter’ and putting levity to an otherwise cumbersome load that is reality. I’m usually not a fan of figurative language but for some reason, I find the author’s excessive use of hyperbole fascinating.

The part I like most about the book is the emphasis on family. Family is not necessarily someone related to you by blood, but someone who supports you, accepts you and loves you for what you are.

The most important part of the author’s life story, for me, is the underlying message to never give up on life. No matter how painful and how difficult things get and no matter how screwed up things are, you accept things as they are and you don’t find someone to blame.

Needless to say, I enjoyed this book a lot and I learned so much from it. However, the manner of telling (flash backs and flash forwards) may be a bit confusing to some readers. Moreover, because of the jocular manner of writing, it may be difficult for some readers to distinguish between truth and joke. Finally, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is inspiring and encouraging. I recommend it to readers who love memoirs and to those who enjoy stories about rising above adversity. References to drugs, sex and sexual activities, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

Driving in Reverse
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

That's a lovely review of what sounds like a deeply inspiring book. I take your point about the non-chronological element - it can make a tale more interesting, but it does need expert handling to avoid confusing the reader.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

I can't relate to the story I am the youngest of the 3 children but but we were all treated right and equally i never felt any less, my life is complete with the love and support of my parents and siblings.
What goes around comes around
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The review gave me a clear picture. Seems that this book has lot to offer. After all its about a harsh reality to a man who had to go through a lot in life. I love memoirs each person has something to say completely in different aspects. Thank you for clearing that up!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Wonderful review. I agree with your comment about not being to tell if a comment is truth or a joke. Still, sounds like a very intriguing read. Thanks.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I am glad Linsday find a family in the support of his friend, and I wish he has found the right path after all the obstacles he has faced. Definitively want to read this book. Thank you for your clear review.
kimchifire
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kimchifire »

Thank you for the review. I just started reading this book and your review helps me to understand the outline of Lindsay's story of his life. So far, this book made me feel pain, love and caring. I am really excited to keep on reading and finish the journey with the author.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

My heart goes out to anyone that spends their life feeling unloved and unwanted, efficiently when it comes to their family. The book may have its faults, but it sounds like a worthwhile read. Thanks for a great review!
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

I like this review.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

It must have very difficult for the author being so isolated from his family. I am very close to my family and can't even imagine how lonely that must feel.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Libs_Books wrote: 04 May 2018, 05:42 That's a lovely review of what sounds like a deeply inspiring book. I take your point about the non-chronological element - it can make a tale more interesting, but it does need expert handling to avoid confusing the reader.
Thank you. Besides confusing, the non-chronological element can be irritating.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Snowhite189 wrote: 04 May 2018, 06:51 I can't relate to the story I am the youngest of the 3 children but but we were all treated right and equally i never felt any less, my life is complete with the love and support of my parents and siblings.
It seems like you're one lucky person :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 04 May 2018, 07:35 The review gave me a clear picture. Seems that this book has lot to offer. After all its about a harsh reality to a man who had to go through a lot in life. I love memoirs each person has something to say completely in different aspects. Thank you for clearing that up!
Thank you. I enjoyed writing the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kdstrack wrote: 04 May 2018, 09:52 Wonderful review. I agree with your comment about not being to tell if a comment is truth or a joke. Still, sounds like a very intriguing read. Thanks.
Thank you very much. I enjoyed both the jokes and the facts :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Jonida wrote: 04 May 2018, 11:05 I am glad Linsday find a family in the support of his friend, and I wish he has found the right path after all the obstacles he has faced. Definitively want to read this book. Thank you for your clear review.
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”