Review by Sarah Tariq -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a lovely story-picture book for children by R.D. Base. In this book, Toni- the protagonist character- loves to accomplish extraordinary tasks. This captivating character would engage children from start to end. This book is the first installment in “Toni the Superhero” series. You will find much more about Toni’s adventurous nature in later books.

This 30 pages colorful book contains the series of pictures which show Toni as a ‘superman’ performing different challenging tasks. Simple repetitive sentences with each picture depict the complete actions of Toni in illustrative form. We see him as reading books, rescuing animals, playing with friends, drawing pictures, helping his mother in household work, and many other trivial tasks which Toni performs fondly. We witness him wearing superman’s dress to express his superhero nature. This energetic character would be very inspiring and gripping for children. Basically, the book has been designed for young kids, with an age bracket of zero to four, who do not know how to read.

The most appealing element for me in this book is the vivid and colorful graphics with a simple sentence to describe each picture. Parents can read this book to kids, and children can easily understand the whole story through simple sentences. This will develop their interest in reading books. And this is what the author aims for this book. It is essentially an introductory book and after reading the first book it will increase the curiosity in children to read the other books in series. The author has quoted all the healthy and important tasks which are important for healthy brought up of a child. If parents properly explain this character, children will love to follow it as they like to be called a “superhero.”

One thing I dislike that the author has only mentioned the Toni’s “likes” and not the “dislikes.” In my view, the author should have included both the likes and dislikes to depict Toni’s personality as a whole. Moreover, the font size used in sentences is relatively small and at some places, it just mixes within a picture. So the author should revise it so that children could recognize it properly.

In a nutshell, Toni the Superhero is a useful learning and entertaining tool for children. It can help them to develop reading habit through this neat, symmetrical and colorful picture book. Though it contains some faults, however owing to its potential to teach children; I would happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is well-edited. I would recommend this book to all interested parents who want to develop reading habit in their children. Moreover, I would also recommend this book for Montessori classes, where teachers can teach small kids about lovely tasks which Toni performs.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Nice review, I enjoyed the book as well and also gave it 4 stars.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

Lovely review. The target audience will be sure to find it entertaining! Well done
Last edited by Nmadinachi Egwim on 05 May 2018, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

Lovely review. The target audience will be sure to find it entertaining! Well done
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Helen_Combe wrote: 05 May 2018, 09:30 Nice review, I enjoyed the book as well and also gave it 4 stars.
Thank you so much Helen for your comments.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Nmadinachi Egwim wrote: 05 May 2018, 09:38 Lovely review. The target audience will be sure to find it entertaining! Well done
Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

Interesting review. I have also reviewed this book but I didn't see Toni's superhero identity through the lens you used. Thanks for letting me see a different view.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I also thought the graphics were great :) Loved the colours.
Thanks for the super review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Lu_rire wrote: 05 May 2018, 14:45 Interesting review. I have also reviewed this book but I didn't see Toni's superhero identity through the lens you used. Thanks for letting me see a different view.
Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Bianka Walter wrote: 05 May 2018, 14:51 I also thought the graphics were great :) Loved the colours.
Thanks for the super review.
Thanks for your feedback :)

📕📖📰📓📕
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I liked the part where you talked about including dislikes as well. I agree that that would be a great way to make the character more realistic and show that it is ok to not like absolutely everything.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I have nephews who love superheroes and I think they would like this book. It is nice that it's educational and entertaining. Thanks for the review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 07 May 2018, 16:24 I liked the part where you talked about including dislikes as well. I agree that that would be a great way to make the character more realistic and show that it is ok to not like absolutely everything.
Yes, I consider it necessary to present Toni's personality at full length by including both likes and dislikes. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

melissy370 wrote: 07 May 2018, 16:27 I have nephews who love superheroes and I think they would like this book. It is nice that it's educational and entertaining. Thanks for the review.
Sure,it is a good book for entertainment and education. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I also liked the simplicity of the book. I liked the colors and how the photos were displayed. Thanks for your well written review
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”