Review by amy1825 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amy1825
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy1825.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by amy1825 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by amy1825 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is an illustrated children's book, I would say from ages 1-6. I believe the book says 0-4, but I feel that my kindergarten daughter could sound these words out and read it to me. That is why I feel that older children learning to read can benefit from this book as well.

Toni is a little boy who dresses up as a superhero. He likes to dust and run and jump and save animals and eat and sleep and all sorts of other things! Toni is a terrific little boy. He even eats his broccoli!

Spelling and grammar were fine. The sentences were very short and to the point, great for an early reader. The plot was fine and well developed.
The only thing I noticed negative was word placement on one of the pages. on "Toni likes to dance." the "to" is right over where two walls meet in the illustration and the "o" in "to" is cut in half. I suppose that could be considered a formatting issue? Other than that it was great, and I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars

The illustrations were awesome. bold and vivid and full of color. The illustrations took up the whole page, which was great! They were really captivating, for kids and parents alike!

As a mom of 3 year old twin boys and a 5 year old daughter, I feel this is a book for all races, genders and good till age 6. My daughter is in kindergarden and sounding out words. I feel she could get through this book with only a few stumbles if she was reading it for me or to her brothers. I think the superhero aspect would really catch the attention of my twin boys and they would love seeing Toni do everything they do. I have an idea in my head that I am going to point out the broccoli on Toni's plate, and tell my kids "see, superheros eat broccoli so you need to try yours!" I think it was a cute story. I really don't think it matters if you have sons or daughters, or grandsons or granddaughters, nieces or nephews whatever the case may be, I think this is a cute story for any gender. Toni is a little black boy, but when kids are young race doesn't matter. It shouldn't matter when we are grown ups either, but watching the news tells us otherwise. I think all kids everywhere can relate to Toni. Toni does normal everyday activities and has fun doing them! He even dusts the house! Toni is a great role model for children, he is someone they can and should look up to.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like amy1825's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”