Official Review: Collision by Kristen Granata

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Official Review: Collision by Kristen Granata

Post by jvez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Collision" by Kristen Granata.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Collision by Kristen Granata discusses depression and how to overcome this condition with the help of other people. When Merritt was only 13, her mother walked out of their house and out of her life. Since then, Merritt’s father has done nothing but drinking. Devoid of any desire to continue living, he becomes a broken man who never regains his sanity. Years later, he ends his own misery by committing suicide, leaving Merritt with nothing but a car. Consumed by grief and guilt, a wasted Merritt crashes this same car and almost dies, if not for the help of an unknown savior. After waking up from a coma, Merritt then befriends Chase, the hottest guy in town, who just returned after failing to achieve his dream to be a rock star. The two main characters obviously share a mutual attraction, but the cynic Merritt struggles to find the strength to take their relationship to the next level.

Collision is for fans of young adult and romance stories, and for anyone who would like to read about depression and how to cope with it. Please be reminded that the book contains some steamy scenes, including one sex scene. If you’re bothered by these, it's best not to read this book.

The book's strongest point is its portrayal of believable characters that surely many readers will be able to connect with. Merritt’s skepticism in relationships is understandable for it's something that stems from her family background. Moreover, the story shows a clear development in Merritt and Chase’s relationship. The involvement of Chase’s family also proves that what the two main characters had was not merely physical attraction.

I did, however, find Chase’s character a bit cliché. Chase is the handsome guy with the cool image that every girl swoons for, but no one knows Chase is actually a kind person who also has his own share of problems. This type of character has been used in so many books, especially those involving romance in the plot. I wish the author used a different male lead for a change. Nonetheless, apart from Chase’s character, there’s really nothing negative I can comment regarding the author’s ability to create realistic scenes and characters.

The book concluded with an open ending which may signify a part two. I am at odds with myself if I want this story to be a series. As much as I loved most of the characters in the book, I’m not sure if another string of dramas in the main couple’s life will keep my interest alive. I believe all Merritt’s issues could have been settled in this book. In addition, depending on how the author weaves the second book, if any, the story may become repetitive. Too much drama also tends to be exhausting.

The book is well-written, and I only noticed a few things that need to be edited. Apart from the minimal typos, the author tends to confuse the verbs lie and lay. The author should also try varying the words used in the narrative for it seems she’s quite fond of using play, nod, and rolled eyes.

I give Collision 3 out of 4 stars for its realistic portrayal of grief and depression. However, the open ending did not satisfy me, and I am not sure if I would want to read a continuation book.

Collision
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like jvez's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The realistic nature in these flawed characters are very captivating. The review gives a descriptive detail on story line very well. As it sounds it also shows how a damage past affects the present situation in life which may also be appropriate in our lives as well. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Well Merritt certainly has her work cut out for her with the life she has endured,! I think Chase does sound a little cliche, but that's ok. Hopefully he's the kind of guy up for the task of healing a broken heart and restoring a little faith and love into Merritt. Thanks for a great review!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a reasonable story with some decent characters. It's a shame the Chase character was a bit formulaic. And it can be annoying when authors use similar words or phrases repetitively. Nice review!
Gsamour
Currently Reading: I'll Point to Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gsamour.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gsamour »

Thank you for your review! I am such a sucker for teen romances and young love, this book sounds really entertaining. I am worried about what you said about Chase's character, if he truly is that cliche. That character has been done a lot and can be extremely annoying at times!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I find it frustrating when a book is left with questions unanswered. Even if it is the first in a series, I always feel a bit cheated. Thanks for your review, I really enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

I would read this, good review.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 01 May 2018, 00:04 The realistic nature in these flawed characters are very captivating. The review gives a descriptive detail on story line very well. As it sounds it also shows how a damage past affects the present situation in life which may also be appropriate in our lives as well. Thank you!
Thank you for reading my review :) The book does contain flawed characters trying to move forward. It's definitely a good book discussing important themes.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

SABRADLEY wrote: 01 May 2018, 00:26 Well Merritt certainly has her work cut out for her with the life she has endured,! I think Chase does sound a little cliche, but that's ok. Hopefully he's the kind of guy up for the task of healing a broken heart and restoring a little faith and love into Merritt. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for reading my review :) Yes, Chase's character for me is really cliche, but he's likable overall. The couple's relationship is good, and if you'll read the book, you'll find that the couple has positive influence on each other.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

joshfee77 wrote: 01 May 2018, 03:47 Sounds like a reasonable story with some decent characters. It's a shame the Chase character was a bit formulaic. And it can be annoying when authors use similar words or phrases repetitively. Nice review!
Thanks for reading my review. And yes it's sad about Chase's character, but I still did find his character likable in certain instances. I agree about the repetitive phrases as well. I wish the author would do something about those.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Gsamour wrote: 01 May 2018, 12:07 Thank you for your review! I am such a sucker for teen romances and young love, this book sounds really entertaining. I am worried about what you said about Chase's character, if he truly is that cliche. That character has been done a lot and can be extremely annoying at times!
Thank you for reading my review :) And yes, this book is entertaining. You should give it a try as well if you're into young love. Chase is indeed a bit cliche, but I did find his character still likable nonetheless.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 May 2018, 13:20 I find it frustrating when a book is left with questions unanswered. Even if it is the first in a series, I always feel a bit cheated. Thanks for your review, I really enjoyed it :)
I agree. But this happens a lot now I noticed. Authors tend to chop their books into series even if they could compress it all in one book. It's really sad, but I guess it's also a marketing thing?

Thanks for reading this review though. Glad you enjoyed it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”