Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Re: Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Post by Cristal2408 »

love_b00ks wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 20:52 I think that it has always been a thing it is just that it is not as well publicized before unlike today because of the advent of the social media, they don't sensationalize it then as much as people do now.
Exactly, there is a lot of empirical information to consider in this situation as before everyone was less exposed to information outside of their own communities.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
Chinna 1381189
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chinna 1381189 »

I think it is wise to take our cue from King Solomon's words: "there is nothing new under the sun." As to the prevalence of teenage affairs, I can't begin to know the answer, but I agree with many of the other commenters that nowadays the affair is far more likely to be aired publicly, and therefore it appears to happen more often. In the 1950s, :D Americans were still in the habit of hushing up sexuality of any sort -- especially if the activities proved to be unsavory. An affair might look different today, but fundamentally I believe the issue has been around since the beginning of time. :D
KaraSkinner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karaskinner.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by KaraSkinner »

This has probably always happened. It might seem more prevalent now because it makes the news. In the 1950s, the families would try to bury secrets like that and teenagers might not speak up or have anyone to speak to if they were targeted by older married men. After all, there was blatant discrimination against females and anything that happened would be blamed on the teenaged girl. Now they're more able to speak up thanks to changing values and social media.
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

Oh yes.
They do happen. Young boys and girls tend to look or are rather interested in married people. Reasons best known to them, but the common ones you'd hear are, "He/she gives me everything."
"He/she is always there when I need them."
"I've never caught them playing me."
Such stuff, but I highly discourage it myself.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html

Post by Alex Hughes »

They even happen more now than then, this teenage extramarital affairs its more prominent now than then.
Xancode
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I don't know whether it's more or less common now, I think it's hard to say. I definitely think there are more laws preventing this kind of thing now than there would have been in the 1950s however.
Akash Dixit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akash Dixit »

Its becoming a trend these days. Most of the teenagers are doing this out of sex urge and their just mere attraction towards someone , then they dont care whom are they with or whom are they taking away. What they want is sex (thats what I think). Marrying someone out of just attraction i sthe silliest thing one can do and even the elders are supporting these things, even they know that things are not gonna live for long but still they dont stop it
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I do not know about extramarital affairs, or now vs. the 50's. But when I was in high in the 80's I know of at least three single teachers who had affairs with their students. All these cases were so well-known as they were happening that all the students were talking about it, two of the instances the student and teacher were married within a year of the kids graduating from high school. Yet, the school did absolutely nothing.
BookObsessedJunkie
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookobsessedjunkie.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by BookObsessedJunkie »

Sadly and unfortunately it is still happening in 2018! For some teenagers it is a means to financial gain. They get enticed by the thought of being spoiled by these older men with money. Some teenagers do not know or realize that they are being manipulated by these teachers and or neighbors and just fall for it! Sometimes television series and book romanticize and glamourize these teenage extramarital affairs so they feel they should be doing it!!
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

I've heard several elderly people saying that things are worse than it was in their days. Personally I think that media coverage which is more prominent now, will make it difficult to state when teenage marital affairs became an order of the day.
Annette Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Annette Smith »

I think the relationship would certainly be believable in 2018, but it would have been more shocking in earlier times. But I think that even if it is more believable in 2018, it's still powerful in a story as it still isn't socially acceptable.
butterflyinaweb
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyinaweb.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by butterflyinaweb »

Most likely it was occurring back then and just not spoke of by the majority as much so as it is in 2018. I am sure it was a source to gossip about for the women but you have to consider the fact that women weren't given much of a voice back then. So yes, it is believable.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Nanig83006 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 08:43 It may have always been a thing, but more known now because of different sources of media. In my opinion, this is a theme for both boys and girls, we just hear about the girls more often. During my time in high school, a male teacher was caught having an affair with a girl in my year. Two years after I graduated, a female teacher was caught with a male student. I'm not sure if schools (or just my school) are hunting grounds, but it's safe to say that kids in abusive situations make easy targets for predators.
I agree with you on all counts. We see it more now because everything is documented, it's pretty equal with males & females, and abusive situations make for vulnerable targets.
Melissa Coffield
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-coffield.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Melissa Coffield »

I think this has been going on a long time. I just think that it was more "hidden" during the early 1900's then it is today. Plus, a couple hundred years ago it was not uncommon for 15 year olds to marry much older men. Not to mention prostitution back then. I know that unfortunately there are still young ones now, but back when prostitution was legal and in common bars, many of those women were very young.
Perseverance is impossible if we don't permit ourselves to hope.
Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

Yeah, the do happen. Youths today have varied reasons for acting immorally "right" as they usually consider it.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”