What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Re: What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Post by Cristal2408 »

I do think it is difficult for a writer to describe an abuse situation, regardless if they went through it or not. If they did, there is the psychological barrier to not remember those situations as a way of protection. If they did not, unless they do extensive research on the matter, it will be hard to write about it because of the lack of first-hand knowledge.
raekelly11
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by raekelly11 »

I think the saddest thing about emotional or physical abuse that a child experiences within the family or as witnesses to one parent abusing the other, is that they really have to find a way to be retaught how to manage anger, grief, personal power and most of all how one can stand up for themselves without being overly aggressive or afraid to even try. Without some form of intervention in their own lives, meeting a kind person who can model for them a healthier relationship role and what boundaries are needed to be healthy, they just pass those dysfunctions on to their own relationships, families and children. I think being in nature and spending time alone to heal is one way people learn internal and external forgiveness. They re-parent themselves until their inner chaos and inner voices and fears are gradually replaced by a trust that they do have a place in the universe and in life ( nature).
kingstonew
Currently Reading: the warramung war
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingstonew.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kingstonew »

The responsibility is not only with the father but also all the family members and relatives and other people who are aware of the abusive situation.The mother who has allowed it to continue.The neighbors are responsible to stop this abuse.The sellers of the alcohol are also responsible as well. The government officials are also responsible as part of government duty to safeguard rights of girls and women in society.The religious leaders and elders of the community are also to blame because it is their duty to ensure such abuses are eliminated from society.The teacher s of Natalie are also culpable as they should take action to protect the girl from her cruel father.Everyone who is ware f the crime and is silent is to blame for the perpetuation of the crime of child abuse.

The best means of responding to abuse and other traumatic experiences is not to fight back but to get rid of the situation with a solution that leaves the girl at peace. To fight is to waste energy in a futile exercise.The best way is to involve the neighbors, the Government, the relatives of the father, the religious leaders, and the inlaws to solve the problem once and for all.The government should charge the father with child abuse in a court of a law.The mother should also be charged as an accomplice to the crime of child abuse and neglecting her own daughter to undergo this heinous crime. In addition, the crime should be charged with an abuse of human rights.

It is not difficult for a writer to describe abusive situations. It is the work of the writer to describe these abusive situations and expose them for society to eliminate these bad practices in our communities and also bring on board the government departments and civil society to take restorative actions to make life better for all.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Cristal2408 wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 15:52 I do think it is difficult for a writer to describe an abuse situation, regardless if they went through it or not. If they did, there is the psychological barrier to not remember those situations as a way of protection. If they did not, unless they do extensive research on the matter, it will be hard to write about it because of the lack of first-hand knowledge.
That's very true. There is for sure a strong emotional involvement that must make the writing process quite consuming, regardless any possible experience.
Berry :wine:
sandyallison1
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading: The Giving Tree
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandyallison1.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by sandyallison1 »

I believe the fighting back method is appropriate. This method may not be realistic, as most victims are groomed, but perhaps the individuals will have a better time coping, then internalizing their abuse only to face it later on in their lives. I also believe it is important for victims to speak up as soon as possible, perhaps to a teacher or guidance counselor. Unfortunately, victims often feel they are the ones at fault, mainly due to their perpetrators own doing.
Kawata
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kawata »

Abuse And Trauma Are Things Human Being Cannot Do About. They Are Normal Features Of Life, Which Can Only Be Over Through Friendship And Dedication To One Happiness Using Various Ways Such As Voluntary Community Service, Employmemt For Vulnerable Souls Of The Society And National Service And Development (job Either With Private Or Public Firm),
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Richard Whitehead »

Fighting back is one of the options of overcoming abuse just as Natalie does. The other means is dialogue.
Richard Whitehead

Richard Whitehead wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 23:34 Fighting back is one of the options of overcoming abuse just as Natalie does. The other means is dialogue.
These are the major means.
Richard Whitehead

Kawata wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 20:29 Abuse And Trauma Are Things Human Being Cannot Do About. They Are Normal Features Of Life, Which Can Only Be Over Through Friendship And Dedication To One Happiness Using Various Ways Such As Voluntary Community Service, Employmemt For Vulnerable Souls Of The Society And National Service And Development (job Either With Private Or Public Firm),

They are indeed part of our everyday lives.
anna1999
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by anna1999 »

To answer the question. Most commonly the abuser is never the only person responsible. Usually, abuse is often coupled by enablers. Those around for either fear or their own dilemmas relent to say or do anything. For whatever, reasons the victims will most often struggle with several types of emotional and/or cognitive issues through life. As an individual that works with children placed in the foster care system, trauma and abuse is something I see a lot of in the children I care for. As the 16-year old character in "Ironbark Hill" some of these children will never be the same, never be able to trust, or love appropriately. Perhaps, scared for life, which is something more than likely, very hard for the some writers to write about.
Priya2001
Currently Reading:

Post by Priya2001 »

I think people who abuse are actually the ones who need love they can be made understanding by giving some love and motivations because love is the beautiful feeling from that even a evil can be changed
Liz_Wright
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-wright.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Liz_Wright »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 05:33 I agree with most of the things you mentioned. I have only one small remark regarding the difficulty of describing abusive situations. I have in mind Toni Morrison's novels Beloved and The Bluest Eye. In Beloved, a mother prefers killing her child for fear of sharing her fate as a slave whereas in The Bluest Eye, a girl is abused and finally raped by her alcoholic father. I watched a video with an interview taken to Toni Morrison about Beloved. What she says is that it was incredibly hard to find the language to describe the story of a mother who was so desperate as to kill her child and that precise moment is so buried in the text that you have problems finding it. For me, Toni Morrison is an incredible writer and she did find the words to touch anyone to tears.
I definitely agree that finding the language to describe the experience verbally and in writing is extremely difficult. I worked as a trauma therapist for a few years and asking clients about their experiences many times led to them looking lost. How do you describe a sense of loss, loss of self, loss of feeling capable of action, loss of trust in others, but also of change in thinking and in behavior that was influenced by this experience that we have difficulty putting to words.

For many of my clients, writing about their experiences helped them to find a way to put to words, put to paper, their experiences. They could edit, they could add in, they could find better words to describe their experiences, but they could also review their past writings and see how their cognitions regarding their experiences had changed.
Sarabano
Currently Reading: I'll Point to Heaven

Post by Sarabano »

i think that, the father is not only reponsible but mother too. she is one who can save her children from abuse and let her daughter remain away feom her step father, to overcome this girls or many other girls abusive and traumatic situation... she should make her self strong first and not letting any one hurt her in any ways
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

Natalie's way was fighting back. This may not apply to every situation at hand. Talking out things would be the most efficient way for sometimes the abusers don't even realise they are on the wrong
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Estelle_cu 205
Currently Reading:

Post by Estelle_cu 205 »

"Be positive minded, a change of environment, Focus more on the things that makes you happy and do more of it and also do counselling

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”