strong character of a woman

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: strong character of a woman

Post by gen_g »

Natalie's ability to rise up to the challenge of her unhappy family definitely deserves a commendation; this in turn contributes to her emotional and psychological maturity. Whilst admirable, I would think that it is necessary to list our definition of a strong woman before describing Natalie as such. Of course, Natalie's ability to stand up to a position of authority demonstrates mental fortitude, as it is not easy to do what is right, instead of what is easy (I'm a potter head). All in all, it was a great tale of courage and self-discovery. It was an enjoyable read.
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

What I find sad is that all of that character development and build up of her as a strong character is ruined by her decision at the end of the novel.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

pinklover wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 03:07 Does the prologue convey strong character of a woman when it portrays an unhappy home?
Yes, I think it does. In the prologue, we see Natalie all ready to defend her mother with no thought of herself. It also gets under Alex's skin every time she stands up to him.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 10:05
Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 09:04 I think the prologue does convey strength of character even in an unhappy home.

Consider a few things for me: does circumstance define the strength of a character? If it doesn't, what does? If it does, doesn't being resilient in the face of hardships qualify as strength?

Also, even if she wasn't a strong character in the prologue, does that really matter? One of the most compelling things for me when I read a new book is character development. The process of finding that strength and resilience will probably be a better story than her being an unchanging source of strength throughout the entire novel.

Just food for thought. :)
I would agree that being resilient in the face of hardship does qualify as strength. It is unfortunate but true that, for many of us, the experience of hardship is what brings maturity and growth of one's personality. I enjoy evolving character development in a novel, as it encourages the potential for us to do the same in our own lives.
Character development is always a big factor in good books :)
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

Coming from an unhappy home doesn't make a person weak, just unfortunate.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

An unhappy upbringing can only shape a strong character. In the end, it's about survival.
Berry :wine:
Ana_Saints
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading: How to Dance with the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-saints.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Ana_Saints »

I strongly believe that the character portrays a really strong woman for Natalie did her best to protect her home.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

Yes, I think that the character portrays a really strong woman for Natalie did her best to protect her home. She protected her siblings and defended her mother.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

FayJac wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 22:04 I think a strong character is very evident and even necessary in an unhappy home. Strength comes from trials and even someone from a happy home is not immune to problems and character building events. It was a very interesting book, but I was saddened to see her slide into more and more lies and a romance with a married man. That does not show strong character in a good way. The good strength we see in Natalie was in defending and providing for her family and withstanding the abuse and derogatory behavior shown to her.
I agree with you. Some people are born strong, but in an abusive situation, strength is there even if it doesn't appear that way to people outside of the situation. And I like that you point out the different types of strength.
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

EMoffat wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 21:50 I believe that the daughter shows strength through the portrayal of an unhappy home.The mother also shows her own strength in difficult circumstances - it is too easy to judge people in these situations and say they are weak
I agree. They were strong in their circumstances.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

Yeah the daughter showed more strength
of character in protecting her mother.
Xancode
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

KLafser wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 12:40
cristinaro wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 03:11 I think the author used a good strategy by introducing Natalie and her family exactly when Natalie turned 16. Any reader in this world would immediately empathize with the protagonist, would appreciate her strength and would be willing to forgive her future mistakes. The question is: will our feelings and opinion about Natalie change up to the end of the story? I'll come back with an answer once I finish reading.
Completely agree! We need this backdrop to understand from whence she came in order to understand what happens and where she goes next.
I loved the ending of the book for its sadness and realism. The problem is I am not sure what to say about Natalie's strength anymore. She thinks she was strong and that she overcame her condition and trauma. I am not so sure about this. She never got married, she never had any children of her own, she got involved in a lifelong relationship with a married man. I don't think she managed to overcome her trauma.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 09:04 I think the prologue does convey strength of character even in an unhappy home.

Consider a few things for me: does circumstance define the strength of a character? If it doesn't, what does? If it does, doesn't being resilient in the face of hardships qualify as strength?

Also, even if she wasn't a strong character in the prologue, does that really matter? One of the most compelling things for me when I read a new book is character development. The process of finding that strength and resilience will probably be a better story than her being an unchanging source of strength throughout the entire novel.

Wow. This is one beautifully constructed comment. The relationship between strong character and character development exhibited in the book is surely a compelling highlight.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Character development is big for me, too. So, I agree that the process of finding the much needed strength and resilience is the better angle.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

I believe that situations and experiences transform us and even strengthen our character.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”