Cancelled TV Series Woes

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Cancelled TV Series Woes

Post by Tzara Drusak »

We all hate it when any of our favourite series gets cancelled. We especially hate it when said series is cut off at an extremely suspenseful point, with no explanation as to what happens to the characters.

I was disappointed when I heard that The Secret Circle, The Tomorrow People and to a lesser extent, Star-Crossed were aired with only a single season. All had wonderful plots and were widely liked by a large audience, so why did they cancel them? Does anyone else think these series would have had a good following and could have been big hits?
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
chrisemukudi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chrisemukudi »

for the love of many tv series you'll find most of the people in deep problems when these series are cancelled. Yeah for me i thinks that these series could have hit the market if only they weren't cancelled .Tomorrow people for example was fun and many people liked it
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I know exactly how you feel! I hate when I get sucked into a TV show, only to have it cancelled one or two seasons in. I can barely handle a show I love coming to a proper finale, let alone one that ends abruptly with no answers.

When I heard Sense 8 on Netflix got cancelled, I just about lost it. They ended on such a big cliffhanger! I kept hearing that the filming was too expensive, as there was so much travel involved, and they said they were going to do a special to sum everything up and give us answers, but that has yet to come out. I'm losing hope that I will ever find out how it ends.

I understand why they have to cancel shows, especially when they are expensive with low viewer numbers, but that doesn't make it any better!
Catherine Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-davis.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Catherine Davis »

This is an old TV series but I loved it and watched every episode....A Different World. It ended with one of the main characters (well couple) moving to Japan and the wife pregnant. I would love to see a reunion show.
Jabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jabriel.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Jabriel »

I was bummed when I realized The Tomorrow People wouldn't have a second season, especially with that cliffhanger.
I watched The Secret Circle awhile back too without knowing it was already cancelled which also sucked. But fans are still pushing for another season. There's even an online petition asking for Netflix to pick it up. Here's hoping.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

I'm still hurting from the cancellation of Farscape, though god knows it was a long time ago.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Firefly is always going to be the first one that comes to my mind. Although it ran for only 14 chapters, it seems to me that the series did a great job and that it had a lot of potential. "Out of Gas" must be one of my favorite episodes of any show in general, especially Sci-Fi. Luckily, the movie Serenity gave it a very good ending. Moreover, I accidentally saw the movie first on TV, before even knowing that the series existed, and I could understand it perfectly without having seen Firefly...
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I felt so bad when Legends of the seeker got cancelled or a while I though it was an expensive joke played on me but alas it was true and the show was really cancelled.
Jack Prodigal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jack Prodigal »

I'm still not over "Deadwood" or "Dads."

More recently, "Lethal Weapon."

Oh, what? It wasn't cancelled? They just fired Clayne Crawford and they're replacing him with Stiffler from the "American Pie" movies? That makes sense. Better off cancelled.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

There was a show called Terranova that I loved. Lasted one season then was cancelled, officially for excessive production costs. Still bitter about it :(
Berry :wine:
amale
Currently Reading: the long way to a small angry planet
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amale.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by amale »

NRoach wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 11:11 I'm still hurting from the cancellation of Farscape, though god knows it was a long time ago.
OMG Farscape! I discovered the series years after it was cancelled on Netflix, but it was so amazing! I couldn't believe how well Jim Henson's style mixed with science fiction/ space opera. Next to Firefly (RIP) it is one of my most favorite sci-fi television series. Zhaan was probably my favorite character, next to Aeryn Sun.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I don't really know those series you mentioned but some of the series I was sad ending were Bones and Heroes.
RSchwartz
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by RSchwartz »

I know what you mean. I was very disappointed that the show Forever was cancelled. The season ended in such a way to lead to an interesting second season but the network cancelled it without explaination
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

I was devastated when BBC cancelled The Living and the Dead. My husband and I followed it faithfully through the first season, and we were so upset to find that there wouldn't be another one!
f-callisaya
Favorite Book: The Fellowship of the Ring
Currently Reading: Blood of the Prophets
Bookshelf Size: 1546
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by f-callisaya »

Hannibal (cross fingers for a potential season 4 comeback!!) and Firefly have to be my big ones. I re-watch both all the time.

Return to “Films and Books”