Emotional effects of abuse on children

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Rya92
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Emotional effects of abuse on children

Post by Rya92 »

I think that the author has showed accurate effects of child abuse even though every person reacts differently and each situation is not the same. Each child reacts differently in this book and that shows how each individual will not have the exact same reaction. Bed wetting and a mean streak are very different reactions from the same cause and I feel like that would accurately show the effects on that family.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Very true that the kids will behave depending on the environment they are in. For some, they may elicit the above signs but others will be still observed such as rebellion and fear.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Definitely! Children are just so fragile, this is why we have to be careful how we treat them and what we expose them to. Most of the traumatic events they see and experience early on in life will have a lasting effect in their lives and character, which they may not even know did. All of us were once kids and if we reflect, we can pinpoint a time in our early childhood years that made an impact on what and how we are right now.
Chill01
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chill01.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Post by Chill01 »

I thought the writer gave an extremely accurate picture of the effect of continued abuse by a raging alcoholic father. Natty became a caretaker with adult responsibilities while still a child, and sexually promiscuous, her next sister with a vicious streak and seemingly without conscience, the littlest sister wets the bed, and finally, the brother is a fire starter. This book could be a study guide for what happens in an abusive home in my opinion.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Yes, I do think that many aspects of abuse were addressed in the book, but as many other users have pointed out, it would be near impossible for a single book to address every kind of emotional abuse a child can suffer. In this sense, Ironbark Hill would be a great portrayal of a teenager's experience with an abusive stepfather, keeping in mind that it is only one of many other plausible accounts.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

This goes to show that there is no particular outcome on children due to emotional abuse as results differs depending on the situation and the personality of the each child being abused....what was shown is just an example of how individuals cope differently.
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

I think the author has given a true potrayal.The effect of child abuse affects children differently. Some may become introvert while others may grow up being abusive.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

Chill01 wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 06:17 I thought the writer gave an extremely accurate picture of the effect of continued abuse by a raging alcoholic father. Natty became a caretaker with adult responsibilities while still a child, and sexually promiscuous, her next sister with a vicious streak and seemingly without conscience, the littlest sister wets the bed, and finally, the brother is a fire starter. This book could be a study guide for what happens in an abusive home in my opinion.
It's one of the most interesting parts, to me. This kind of variety isn't showcased very much; normally its PTSD and only really in terms of nightmares and needed to be cuddled by the love interest.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Tbunde5 wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 21:55 While Natalie is the central figure of the book, I found it fascinating to see the interactions of all the children. Robyn, who wets the bed; Shirley, who has a vicious mean streak; and Natalie, trying to hold them all together. Do you think the author gives an honest portrayal of the effects of abuse in children?
Yes, I think that the effects of abuse in children were portrayed very well. After all, everyone reacts differently to trauma as we see with all of the kids.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
nancyab
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyab.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by nancyab »

Thankfully, society is now recognizing child abuse and doing something about it. I was born in 1936 and brought up when the man of the house ruled, no questions asked. He had the right to punish his wife and children as he saw fit. I was beaten a number of times as a child (many times with my father's leather belt and for no good reason) and yes, it has definitely left psychological issues that have followed me through the years. I never had children, so I did not continue the "ritual" of child abuse that is often passed on from generation to generation. Plus, being a female, I don't think I would have had that tendency.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Abuse on children does take a toll on them in all aspects. It doesnt matter if its physical abuse or mental abuse. Either way it affects their personality negatively
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

From the description given I would say that the book gives a good portrayal of the effects of abuse on children. I would expect each of those behaviors and more.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

I agree with the author’s portrayal. Abused children most times tend to develop behavioral problems, and may even grow up to be emotionally unstable. From the few examples I've seen, I can infer that quite a lot of people with borderline personality disorder have an abusive background.
Tatottie84
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tatottie84 »

I enjoyed the book and learned a lot on how different families parenting styles are so different this book shines a lot of light on different scenario in life that children have to overcome.
alexander1995
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alexander1995 »

it makes the child to grow up been emotionally unstable.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”