Review by Londera -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Review by Londera -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Londera »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We all know that one day we will die. But how many of us wake up in the morning and know for certain that today is that day? What would you do if you only had a week to live? If you knew the very second when your life was about to end? Would you spiral into a dark depression and lament all the mistakes you’ve made and opportunities you missed? Perhaps you spend that precious time experiencing everything you dreamed of doing or spend time with your loved ones. Maybe, you act normally and go to work or school as if nothing has changed. Or maybe you spend that time trying to find a way out of your death sentence.

Final Notice by Val Fleisher is a Science Fiction Thriller that is set in the near future. A genius mathematician and doctor has invented a revolutionary watch that can accurately predict the day and time when the wearer is going to die. Within a 10, 20 or 30-day period before the time of death you are notified of the date. This notification is meant to allow the owner of the watch to get their affairs in order, write their last will and testaments and be prepare themselves mentally as well as their family and friends of their demise. Some people take this time to spend their last few weeks enjoying life, but others take revenge and use the time they have left for more selfish and nefarious reasons.

This book includes stories of various people who get their final notice and their journey of how they cope with the news. They come from all walks of life and vary in age, class and social status. It shows how all of us process death differently and come to the path of acceptance (if we ever reach it). Even though death is a shared experience we all will have different reactions. In this near future the NRA and corrupt politicians are pushing for firearms to be more accessible and easier to own.

This mirrors what is happening in our world today, with the increase in school shootings and massacres as well as the hundreds of Black people who lose their lives to police brutality. No where feels safe in America anymore, so I feel as if this book is very timely and will hit home for many people. In the book the creator of the watch and an FBI agent race to stop a killer who has received a final notice and decided to take innocent lives to the grave with him. This is the consequence of this world where guns are easier to obtain, especially by people who have nothing else to lose.

My thoughts: I give this book a 4 out of 4. It is a very exciting and fast paced thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is a page turner and you will want to finish the book as soon as possible to get to the end of the story. I love books like these when I need a story I can immerse myself into. It is also quite comparable to the gun violence that is presently running rampant in America. The writing style of the author is vivid and will keep you engaged until the end.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Londera's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a topic that frequently comes to the top of our news cycle. A book like this could make people think about their final days and if they would ever be capable of using a gun to get revenge. Nice job.
marcel-chike
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by marcel-chike »

This is educating book..I teaches a lot in the society today..
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I do agree with you that the book reflects what is happening in our world today. The book might be full of political aspects but that is the reality of our countries today. This is the reason I enjoyed reading the book even if I personally don't like politics. Thanks for your excellent review.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”