Official Review: The Last King of the Grand Capital

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Official Review: The Last King of the Grand Capital

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last King of the Grand Capital" by Traevon M. Chandler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Traevon Marquis Chandler’s The Last King of the Grand Capital is a unique science fiction graphic novel that takes readers on a journey through a brand new world. While I, of course, haven’t read every single graphic novel or science fiction book, I can say that this particular one is unlike any of those which I’ve previously read. The story primarily takes place in the realm of the living, in a world called Harukia, with occasional chapters set in a realm called The Gate, where the god-like extraterrestrial Jin and his guardian wolves ensure that all gates between the realms of Anti-life and Life remain closed.

This graphic novel is the first part of a series to come, and therefore, the plot is really the set-up of what will happen next. We are introduced to all of the main characters such as Eos, the child king Nyei’s advisor, Kai and Lily, two Grandians (those destined to save the world), and Raia and Pathos, Eos’ friends who live in the city’s slums. It has been foreshadowed that war will come to Harukia when the creatures in Anti-life break through the gates and invade.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the story is very original and the writing and illustrations work well in graphic novel format. When reading science fiction, it can sometimes be difficult to follow all of the new terms, places, characters, etc. I appreciated that Chandler made a point to dedicate the beginning of the book to explaining the history of the realms and the context of the story. This background information was essential to understanding both the plot and the several illustrations that weren’t accompanied by dialogue or narration.

Furthermore, I applaud Chandler for both creating such a complex fictional world and illustrating it as well, as it’s surely not an easy task to accomplish both. The story itself is easy to follow and the illustrations are just as important as the dialogue, so readers should be sure to look at every detail. While it is impossible to say for certain, given that this book is only part one of the story, it seems to me that there will be some parallels drawn between today’s social and political problems and those of the world of Harukia, despite the science fiction aspects of the book. For example, the slums of The Grand Capital and the sentiments of the people who live there in contrast with the middle and wealthy classes who live in the Capital Noble District surely offers some lessons for us today.

If you like graphic novels and if you enjoy science fiction, chances are you’ll like reading the first installment of this series. The Last King of the Grand Capital is certainly a unique read with interesting illustrations and a thoroughly-developed plot designed to keep you reading the next few issues.

The Last King of the Grand Capital
View: on Bookshelves

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't really read graphic novels, but I do enjoy science fiction. I probably should read one or two just to see if they appeal to me anymore as I haven't tried one in a while. Since the world seems to be so complex here, it's probably something I would like. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I absolutely LOVE graphic novels and wish there were more on OBC so I could scoop'em all up! *lmao*

But this story sounds like an absolute gem and it's great that it's the first in a series. The worlds created sound fascinating and I love the term "Anti-Life" (like I adore the word "undead"). I also really like that the author sets up both the world and the story at the beginning, so one doesn't get too lost; the worst thing about fantasy books is all the world building that goes on, sometimes causing one's head to spin.

Thanks for much for your thorough and wonderful review. I enjoyed it a lot!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 07:37 I don't really read graphic novels, but I do enjoy science fiction. I probably should read one or two just to see if they appeal to me anymore as I haven't tried one in a while. Since the world seems to be so complex here, it's probably something I would like. Thanks for the information.
Let me know if you try it! I didn't like graphic novels (or I thought I didn't) until about 3 years ago when I read "The Watchmen"...after that, I was hooked!! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

MsTri wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 10:06 I absolutely LOVE graphic novels and wish there were more on OBC so I could scoop'em all up! *lmao*

But this story sounds like an absolute gem and it's great that it's the first in a series. The worlds created sound fascinating and I love the term "Anti-Life" (like I adore the word "undead"). I also really like that the author sets up both the world and the story at the beginning, so one doesn't get too lost; the worst thing about fantasy books is all the world building that goes on, sometimes causing one's head to spin.

Thanks for much for your thorough and wonderful review. I enjoyed it a lot!
Thanks so much for your comment! :) I also love graphic novels and was so excited to see one offered on here for review! Do let me know if you read this story and enjoy it. :) Can't wait for the second volume to come out!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

What an interesting combination of graphic novel and science fiction. I like it when an author comes up with something like this and puts an effort into making a great book for readers to enjoy. Illustrations can make or break a book, so it sounds like the author did the work to make the book spectacular. It is also so refreshing to find a balance between a little background information to clarify for the reader but not too much to overwhelm while reading. I think the author hit the mark on that one as well. I might have to take a peek at this one even if it's not my normal genre. Thanks for the good information on this one.
Everything happens for a reason...
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Besides all your other positive points, it strikes me as interesting that there could be some parallels drawn between today’s social and political problems and those of the world of Harukia. I don't normally gravitate toward graphic novels or science fiction, but this one sounds well done. Thank you for an enlightening review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Graphic art and sci+fi is a fascinating blend. I am sure many children and adults alike, who love adventure will want to get a feel of this. I too am inspired to pick up a copy of this book. Very enlightening review.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I'm a big fan of both graphic novels and sci-fi, so this book sounds like just the right thing for me. I've never read a book that falls into both genres before, and I think it would be particularly interesting to be able to see some of the unique technologies that appear in science-fiction universes.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

cpru68 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 15:17 What an interesting combination of graphic novel and science fiction. I like it when an author comes up with something like this and puts an effort into making a great book for readers to enjoy. Illustrations can make or break a book, so it sounds like the author did the work to make the book spectacular. It is also so refreshing to find a balance between a little background information to clarify for the reader but not too much to overwhelm while reading. I think the author hit the mark on that one as well. I might have to take a peek at this one even if it's not my normal genre. Thanks for the good information on this one.
Thank you for your comment! I agree that the combination is quite interesting and certainly it was a first for me. When it comes to the background info, I'm certain I would have been lost had the author not provided any. Yet, with a simple overview at the beginning, the rest of the story was so much easier to follow! Thanks again for your comment. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

stacie k wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 18:29 Besides all your other positive points, it strikes me as interesting that there could be some parallels drawn between today’s social and political problems and those of the world of Harukia. I don't normally gravitate toward graphic novels or science fiction, but this one sounds well done. Thank you for an enlightening review!
Thank you for your comment! I look forward to reading the second volume when it is published and seeing if those parallels are further teased out!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

meadhbh wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 18:44 I'm a big fan of both graphic novels and sci-fi, so this book sounds like just the right thing for me. I've never read a book that falls into both genres before, and I think it would be particularly interesting to be able to see some of the unique technologies that appear in science-fiction universes.
I hadn't either! This was the first sci-fi/graphic novel combo for me and it was very interesting. Thanks for your comment!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

crediblereading2 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 18:40 Graphic art and sci+fi is a fascinating blend. I am sure many children and adults alike, who love adventure will want to get a feel of this. I too am inspired to pick up a copy of this book. Very enlightening review.
It truly is! It was the first sci-fi/graphic novel combo I've read and it was so interesting to see the two genres mixed. Thanks for your comment! :)
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I've not read any graphic novels, but I fancy giving one a try. I like sci-fi that can be seen as social commentary, but I'm not sure this one's for me. However, I enjoyed your enthusiastic review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

The plot seems quite steady heading to a believable political parallel to our current situation worldwide. It's a good thing the author managed to illustrate the whole book for a better understanding of the story. I haven't tried so many graphic novels, perhaps I'll give this one a chance. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”