The Final Notice Option

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Re: The Final Notice Option

Post by jvez »

I think the concept of the 'Final Notice' would really scare me if it happened in real life. I'd rather not know how many days I have left. I'd be able to live happier that way. Besides, what if something goes wrong with the watch? I don't think there is, nor there will ever be, a 100% foolproof technological device.
SkyeDragon
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyedragon.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by SkyeDragon »

I think having this type of technology sets a dangerous precedence. This opens up a wide range of ethical issues. In a sense, it would be nice to know when you are going to die, but the risk of harm from this knowledge is high. I believe the risk out ways the benefit of this type of technology. I personally would rather just live my life the best I could and let things naturally occur.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I know the doctors often tell their patients (well, the patients often ask their doctors) how long they have to live-in fact this logic is used in the book in defence of the 'Final Notice' attribute of the VT2 watch. But while reading the story, I somehow felt the concept of getting a death sentence from your watch is creepy - I would not want to know it 30 days before, nor 20 days before, and certainly not 7 days before my impending death. It will cause additional stress and may just accelerate the process. I mean, not always does the treatment work and the notice simply 'disappears'; though I must mention I was so relieved when Vince's did!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

The chance to know when you are going to die is so tempting. But I would rather not know., I would be so sick about it that I could not enjoy the time I had left.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I don't think it's wrong to include it as there could be a lot of postmortem benefits and opportunities to give to charity. It's no different than a doctor telling you that you are going to die. Difference is that this watch is more definite. The problem is that this watch offers no hope. It makes it definite that you will die when there could be a chance of recovery if you take the right medicine and go into treatment.
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

The idea of the Final Notice is really
frightening. It will make some people go into deep thinking, thereby causing depression if some device is to tell them they have only a short time left, when that might not be true. No body could beleive anything could actually accurately predict how much time you had to live.
Xancode
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I would have definitely not chosen the final notice option for my sport watch. I would be content with its ability to analyze my vital signs.

I feel it was not okay to include the final notice option to the original test group because most of them would have lived even longer if the knowledge for time of death was not there. They would have instead announced about the capability of the watch to give a Final Notice so that the seniors decided for themselves.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
shidawn
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shidawn.html
Latest Review: Jonny the boy from the road by J.n.stephenson

Post by shidawn »

For me, I don't think that I would want to know at my age that I was going to die. I think it would just be a little freaky. I could see, though, how this could bring comfort to someone who is older, especially someone who has been suffering physically or mentally for several years. The person could feel like it was time to put their life in order. Then they could die peacefully.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

It's a no from me. I find the idea a bit creepy.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I would not prefer this feature in my watch. For what sake I should be worrying over my death? As a human being I know that one day I will die but till then I have to live my life, enjoy it and serve the world. If I come to know that I will be dead in two more weeks, I will definitely stop everything I do and just stay till I die because I know whatever I do will be in vein. In short, I will lose my driving force. So I do not want that feature in my watch :lol:
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think it is ridiculous. Nobody could ever predict when we are definitely going to die. There are too many variables involved. To tell you the truth, I would not even buy a sports watch. I am a firm believer in living in the moment and to have to have a watch to monitor me is pushing it a bit!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

stedape wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:49 I would really want to know. We all forget to live life to the fullest sometimes. Living the life of one's dreams, going on road trips, having fun experiences and many other things one would love to do and never getting the chance. A final notice is certainly not a bad idea.
I like your positive outlook on the option. I feel the same. I spend a lot of time and resources and make enormous sacrifices because of the probability of living to a ripe old age. However, if I knew I would be dead in my 50's I would ensure that I was able to do some of the things I would really like to do.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Hmm... that's a very good question. Well, maybe I wouldn't mind it as an option, granted it's designed to help save my life. And, considering that the Final Notice option is considered as such, then I don't think it's wrong because it leaves me a choice to chose it or not. On the hand, God knows my expiration date and I'm more than good with that as my only option.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I think that a final notice with such a short notice would be useless, if not harmful. Not enough time to fix anything but definitely enough to stress, panic, and make wrong choices. I’m not sure I’d want to know.
Berry :wine:
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I personally wouldn't want this feature. Mostly because it is portrayed as being 100% accurate when by the end we know it isn't. I would be too worried that there was a small chance the watch was wrong.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”