Official Review: A Destroyed Love by Ginny Roberts

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Official Review: A Destroyed Love by Ginny Roberts

Post by Natalie Charlene »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Destroyed Love" by Ginny Roberts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ginny Robert’s has hit on an important topic in her book, A Destroyed Love. The novel follows the tale of Christina, a woman who swore never to love again, but fell into the trap of a charming and successful man, Brad. Christina can’t help but fall prey to his charismatic personality after he begins courting her and treating her like a queen. Slowly but surely, things begin to change, and Brad reveals his dark side, controlling, sometimes violent, behavior, and shady business practices.

A Destroyed Love is an eye-opening book that speaks on domestic abuse, both verbal and physical. I found myself mindlessly victim-shaming Christina, which is, unfortunately, quite common in society when discussing abused women. Brad reveals so many red flags to her, yet she still stays by his side, trying to work things out, hoping that he will change. I won’t lie, I found myself judgmental at first. I grew angry and frustrated, but then I stepped back and looked at it from another perspective, and became angry at myself for judging. Manipulation in the hands of a pro can be a powerful force that is difficult to see coming.

While I whole-heartedly appreciate the heavy topics covered throughout A Destroyed Love, I do think the writing could have been smoother. The pacing throughout the book was inconsistent, and it jumped from event to event, year to year, while barely creeping the plot forward. The main reason for this effect was the addition of several smaller scenes that did not add to the story and move the plot along. At times, the dialogue felt forced and choppy, disrupting the flow and making for an awkward sound. The presentation and layout of the book, along with proper grammar, though, gave it a clean and professional look that was easy to read.

I rate A Destroyed Love 3 out of 4 stars. The awkward dialogue and pacing may have affected the technical details of the novel, but those issues were not enough to detract from the importance of the message. It is a realistic book, and Roberts nailed the description of how a person ends up in an abusive relationship and showcases the difficulty of getting back out.

I would recommend A Destroyed Love to all types of readers. Women who have been in a similar situation might appreciate it for its relatability. Others who have not been exposed to such situations can learn from the book, perhaps gaining insight into how abusive relationships happen. It is not a happy tale, but it is an important book, and anyone who reads it will walk away with a deeper understanding and, perhaps, a bit more sympathy.

A Destroyed Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Natalie Charlene's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Its amazing how in the beginning they pour out all the charm. Only afterwards you find out that he's got demons not only in his closet but within him. The red flag are signals that a lot of women miss or overlook. Maybe because we see him as Mr. Right or we no longer wish to be lonely.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Whenever we pretend to be who we are not, in a matter of time, our true personalities surface, to shock us.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This theme of abuse keeps cropping up in the books I’ve been reading. It must be a more common problem than I was aware of. I would like to gain understanding and sympathy to be a better friend to those who are hurting.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Abuse is unfortunately all too common in our society. It is definitely easy to blame the victim, but we have to remember that there is a psychological abuse that happens as well. This sounds like a great book, but with a few issues. I hope that maybe the author can rework this a bit and come up with something truly brilliant. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

You're so right, a manipulation pro is quite a force; I'm glad you were able to see things from another view. Thank you for a fair and thorough review :)
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This sounds like the author captured the subject of abuse as it actually happens. It is a subtle progression that is maddening to the outsider. I totally understand your frustration and it’s not unusual to feel that way. I enjoyed your review of this one because I’m sure it wasn’t any easy read.
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I admire the honesty of your review - this is such a difficult topic, but, as you say, really important.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

stacie k wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 00:23 This theme of abuse keeps cropping up in the books I’ve been reading. It must be a more common problem than I was aware of. I would like to gain understanding and sympathy to be a better friend to those who are hurting.
There have been quite a few books on this theme lately. The problem is very real.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Your review is also an eye-opener. While I like reading stories with strong female protagonists, I agree to look at it from another perspective and sympathized with her.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

This sounds like such an interesting book. As someone who knows quite a few women who have been stuck in this situation without realising it, I'm glad that it is being explored and talked about. Will definitely give it a read!
Kimmanne Kim
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmanne-kim.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Kimmanne Kim »

It's unfortunate how one can pretend to be who he or she is not only for the real character to pop up later on in life. It becomes even worse for the victim like for this woman who had sworn never to love again.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I will like to read this book though I'm not a romance novel reader but this book talks about something deeper than romance, it talks about abuse, domestic abuse especially from a loved one is really killing a lot of women in our society today. I find myself victim shaming the abused not looking at things from the victim's own perspective which is unfair. This book will hopefully help me to relate to victims of domestic abuse that I know about.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”