Was there any way Natalie could justify her feelings for a married man?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Re: Was there any way Natalie could justify her feelings for a married man?

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I feel her emotional attachment to Mr. Glover only appeared after he had already kissed her. She looked up to the man and respected him but I don't think she would have thought of him sexually or romantically if he hadn't made the first move. I feel this is more the story of a man taking advantage of an adolescent. She doesn't know any better and never gets the chance to find out.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Natalie was only 16, and Mrs. Glover's husband was old enough to realize what was doing wrong. I think Natalie was not aware of the bad things that she was doing, she did wrong, but she did not do it alone.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Tbunde5 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 22:27 Natalie had no positive role models to teach her what an appropriate relationship should be. She also has no knowledge of what real love should look like. In light of that, I don’t think we can blame her for her choices in this regard. In as much as her conscience tells her what she is doing may be wrong, she has been brought up in a dysfunctional home. We can hardly blame her for wanting what she sees as a loving relationship, no matter the cost.
I don't think there's any way to justify someone going after another person's significant other. However, this is an absolutely spot-on assessment. How can Natalie be expected to act appropriately if all she had to teach her were inappropriate role models? How can she possibly learn that love isn't abusive or cruel if all she's ever known is abuse and cruelty? She can't. In her mind, she's not wrong. This absolutely does not justify her actions, but it does explain why she acts this way, and as such, I think it makes her a victim too.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
cianarae
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cianarae.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by cianarae »

I completely agree with you - I think that sometimes those feelings aren't under our control. We are, however, in control of how we react to our emotions. So while I think there's not much sense in asking someone to control their attraction, I think we can expect someone to act ethically in response to their attractions.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

You may not be able to stop feelings of love, but you don't have to put acton to your desires. Love doesn't make adultery right.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Chill01
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chill01.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Post by Chill01 »

It is common for girls that undergo this kind of abuse today to become promiscuous and to seek out older men to form attachments to. In this case, she did not initiate this affair, he did. I think we need to remember that she was not married, she was a child and he was her employer. In today's society that would be inappropriate behavior towards her. He was the one that abandoned his marriage vows, she had no such vows. It seems like everyone wants to blame this 16 year old and let the man off the hook.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

That, was her boss, and the last thing she could do is let her feelings take control over her. We cannot justify our immoral actions by the fact that we are 'just humans'
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I have to agree that we can't always control our emotions, especially when it comes to attraction. As a teenage girl, her brain is developing and her hormones are out of control, resulting in an even more difficult challenge for Natalie. Teenage brains and bodies are crazy and tumultuous, and we can't expect them to always make the "right" decision (though right and wrong are just social constructs and do not actually exist).

That being said, the adult man has a fully developed brain, and he knew the societal implications. I think most of the blame rests on him. That's why in real life situations such as this, the adult is the one who gets in trouble, not the child.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

Tbunde5 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 22:27 Natalie had no positive role models to teach her what an appropriate relationship should be. She also has no knowledge of what real love should look like. In light of that, I don’t think we can blame her for her choices in this regard. In as much as her conscience tells her what she is doing may be wrong, she has been brought up in a dysfunctional home. We can hardly blame her for wanting what she sees as a loving relationship, no matter the cost.
I am in agreement! I cannot say I agree with her choices, but I do have to ask myself did she know any other way? All we know from the story is how one year of her life may have effected the rest of her life.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Natalie was a young girl, but I think Mr. Glover was also partly responsible. After all, it takes two to tango, and 16 is an easily impressionable age.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Its not fair that when so called unethical situations like these take place, all or most of the blame is directed towards the females...I mean for God's sake this married man knew he was married and still decided to be with Natalie plus he is older
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

There is some psychological explanation why kids, especially women, who had experiences like her growing old, fall for older man. They mistake the longing for a "father" figure for love. However, I still do not agree that it is a valid excuse for doing that.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

PlanetHauth wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 22:55
I don't think there's any way to justify someone going after another person's significant other. However, this is an absolutely spot-on assessment. How can Natalie be expected to act appropriately if all she had to teach her were inappropriate role models? How can she possibly learn that love isn't abusive or cruel if all she's ever known is abuse and cruelty? She can't. In her mind, she's not wrong. This absolutely does not justify her actions, but it does explain why she acts this way, and as such, I think it makes her a victim too.
very true for the last statement. The actions may explain why but they will not justify the action she chose to undertake. That is my stand too.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lundemelia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lundemelia.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lundemelia »

I don't think we can blame Natalie for her actions because she never had a positive role model to show her how to act. However there is no justification for her feelings for a married man and especially her actions towards him as it is never right to come between two people who are in love. The situation should always be turned around on yourself and the thought of how it would feel if it happened to yourself should be enough to stop someone thinking of someone who is married.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

He was on a position of power over her just by virtue of his age. As with all cases like this, it's the older party's responsibility to rebuff her advances because it's not appropriate.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”