Review by love_b00ks -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Review by love_b00ks -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by love_b00ks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a short story about a boy named “Toni” and the things he likes doing. It narrates the details of his day and the activities that take up his time, which are the common things kids do. This book by R.D. Base is quite unique because instead of focusing on great things that superheroes usually do, she used the common daily events to portray the greatness of her main character.

Being an adult, of course, it is not something that would interest me but being a mom of a three-year old, I am always on the lookout for books that my son would enjoy. I read the book to my tot and he liked it! The words are simple, and they keep repeating on each page, with slight variations depending on what the character is doing. Its pictures give clues about what is written, so kids can guess and interact when reading to them. The repetition of words also enables kids to identify the words easily when they see them on the next pages and can jump start them on reading.

What I like most about this book is that it gives us parents the opportunity to impress on our kids that being a superhero is not about having great powers but in doing and enjoying the things we do every day. It does not focus on greatness but in the efforts that the kids put in their work and the attitude they have while doing it. It allows us to affirm our kids, which is helpful in building their character while they are still young. I also like that it is short because kids usually have short attention span and would easily get bored. Keeping it short allows parents to hold their child’s attention until the whole story is finished.

I cannot think of a negative thing to say about this book because though it is very simple and does not follow the common plot stories take, having read it to my three-year-old, I know that it is able to achieve its goal of entertaining its target audience, which are kids 4-year-old and below.

This book earned 4 out of 4 stars from me! I would highly recommend it to parents with little kids out there, especially to those who are trying to teach their kids to start reading. It is not the best there is, but it is very helpful not just in entertaining but also in teaching reading and values to our young ones. I am looking forward to reading the next installments of this series.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like love_b00ks's review? Post a comment saying so!
riatimbang
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by riatimbang »

This review makes me want to read Toni the Superhero to my 4-year old boy. Very informative and helpful for us Moms who are always on the lookout for readaloud books! Thank you!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

What a great review! It sounds like an excellent kid's book.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:

Post by love_b00ks »

riatimbang wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 21:00 This review makes me want to read Toni the Superhero to my 4-year old boy. Very informative and helpful for us Moms who are always on the lookout for readaloud books! Thank you!
Thanks! I'm sure you'll love it! :)
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:

Post by love_b00ks »

thaservices1 wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 00:22 What a great review! It sounds like an excellent kid's book.
It is, indeed! Thanks!
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

Great review! It is nice knowing that your child likes the book. I also read the book and I agree with your opinion about the book. It is perfect for the targeted audience.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”