Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Re: Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

onixpam wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 14:48 I think Natalie's relationship with Mr. Glover would be more common today than in 1950, but this is something that has been happening since always.
Very true, it is more common now than in the years past.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

NL Hartje wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 13:56
Considering finances, I certainly feel like the pull to money and material lifestyles are more targeted at youth today than in the past. Maybe this is adding to the appeal of the older lover?
I agree with this, in that in my country right the allure of older men and what they offer in terms of finances has become the norm.It has even become acceptable to some level.Young girls either universities or those unemployed seeing this as only option to finance their lives.Mutual beneficial relationships, where all involved go in knowing what is expected of them.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
cianarae
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cianarae.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by cianarae »

I honestly think that teenage extramarital affairs have always been a thing, but that it's not so hushed anymore. People these days are less afraid to talk about their sexuality now. I bet the existence of the Internet helps that information travel farther and faster now, as well!
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

I think extramarital affairs in general are just as popular, but certain situations are definitely more believable in 2018. A student and her teacher for example, I think is more prominent today. My grandmother got married when she was 16 to the first boy she ever dated. There was no time to have an affair because she got married and had a job and kids. People get married so late nowadays and they date tons of people before settling down. There is a lot more room to meet other people or extend beyond your age bracket.
AlyLiv
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyliv.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by AlyLiv »

I think no matter what time period you're in, it's always mind boggling to hear about relationships like that. However, I do also think a situation like that is more common in 2018. Maybe not necessarily because people's behaviors have changed, but because with social media and such, there's more exposure and more of a chance to hear about those types of things.
haileyb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by haileyb »

personally I thought it was a good book. we all know that extramarital relationships have been around. but I think they do it because they are reminded of their partner or maybe their partner doesn't please them.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I think Natalie's relationship with Mr Glover is more believable in 2018 than in the 1950s. This is because back then, there were less news of such cases happening compared to what we read in the headlines today.

I doubt if it is a theme for young girls. I think it is a theme for old men because they are the ones who take advantage. I mean an old man is mature enough to know that he has a wife and shouldn't get in affairs with other women especially young girls.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The exposure to this problem (teenage affairs) is more pronounced now due to social media unlike in the past. But that does not mean the prevalence has necessarily increased. I also wonder why the problem is even associated with married people because anyone, whether married or not, is likely to prey on teenagers. But I guess a married person is vilified more while the unmarried one the society views them more favorably.
Mary33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary33.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mary33 »

I do think it's more pronounced now than in the past, not because it wasn't always there but because people fill less scared to share experiences.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

I think most of the young boys and girls who get involved in this disturbing relationships might have lacked initial love from parents. As parents and guardians, let us be there for our young ones.
Heidi Finger
Favorite Book: The Expected One
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-finger.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Heidi Finger »

The social norms are different now but teenage girls are still sleeping with older men and I think, will always do so. I think it is normal for someone to be attracted to a person that is more mature and has knowledge of things they don't. High school girls often date college students. But, someone who is married dating a young teenager just can't be explained in my eyes. I can see the attraction for the younger one but it should not be acted on by the married one.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

I would think teenage extramarital affairs were more commonly accepted in the backwoods of the 1950s than it would be today. We just have more portals of communication available to us today and strict laws against it, and that makes it seem like it's happening more frequently. Teenage extramarital affairs have always been a pattern in history.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I think that it has always been a thing it is just that it is not as well publicized before unlike today because of the advent of the social media, they don't sensationalize it then as much as people do now.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I feel like it has probably always happened. I feel like social media and news availability brings it more to the fore front these days than it might of had say back in the 50's or 60's.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

The world has changed a great deal! It was unheard of in the 50's, of a girl walking around with a boy, leave alone dating a married man. So, to me it's not a shock to the society.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”