Official Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phoenix29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix29.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Re: Official Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Phoenix29 »

Sibling rivalry, country rivalries, mystical powers, AND a strong femaLE character. I'm intrigued and excited to read this!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I read this book last year. And, it sounds like you enjoyed it as much as I did. Thank you for the well-written and detailed review.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Loved your review! The book sounds very enticing. I love the idea of strong female leads and the comparing of two cultures. Reminds me of the Vikings tv series when they have comparisons between the Vikings and Brits and other cultures. Reading that it was well researched as well is always a plus, nothing is a bigger turn off for books that read like the author has absolutely no idea about the things they are writing about. Adding this to my to read list!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Phoenix29 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:50 Sibling rivalry, country rivalries, mystical powers, AND a strong femaLE character. I'm intrigued and excited to read this!
Be sure you'll not regret it! Thanks for reading!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 14:40 Loved your review! The book sounds very enticing. I love the idea of strong female leads and the comparing of two cultures. Reminds me of the Vikings tv series when they have comparisons between the Vikings and Brits and other cultures. Reading that it was well researched as well is always a plus, nothing is a bigger turn off for books that read like the author has absolutely no idea about the things they are writing about. Adding this to my to read list!
I am glad you enjoyed it. You're right about the comparison with the Vikings series. If I am thinking about it, Tanner's series could easily be turned into a successful TV series. Thanks for reading!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I love how much background you give about the historical context of this book. It sounds like something I would be interested in picking up.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

CommMayo wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:02 I love how much background you give about the historical context of this book. It sounds like something I would be interested in picking up.
I hope you will do just that. It's history in context if I may say so. It's history coming back to life through realistic descriptions of locations, people, daily habits, customs or ceremonies. The extra mythological elements are actually a part of what must have been the Roman and Celtic cultures at the time. Thanks for reading!
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

ritah wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 09:02 I read this book last year. And, it sounds like you enjoyed it as much as I did. Thank you for the well-written and detailed review.
Thank you. I did enjoy the book and it is always difficult for me to review books that I appreciate. It may happen because I want to write about many things at the same time.
ladyliit
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ladyliit »

The book is very interesting. Plus I really love historical fiction books
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

I get so curious about the title at first so I started reading it when started i wanted to finish it but i've learned later on that i was only allowed to read few pages only a sample of it that keeps me hanging, a lot of questions in my mind would Catrin and Marcellus end up together, what will happen to Marrock, the brother of Catrin will he be the next king after Amren their father. What will be the fate of the raven will he continue to give messsages to Catrin because Catrin has the ability to see through this raven's eyes the things which about to happen, this is getting more exciting and highly recommended.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

SABRADLEY wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 14:21 It has all the ingredients to be a book I would greatly enjoy. Mysticism, ancient politics, romance, and interweaving story lines sound like a great approach to historical fantasy. I'm glad you liked it. Thank you for a great review.
I have a feeling this is not the last time we are going to hear of Linnea Tanner and my intuition usually works just fine. I am glad you liked the book.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

ladyliit wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 07:33 The book is very interesting. Plus I really love historical fiction books
This book is more than pure historical fiction; it's historical fiction breathing life and summoning the memory of the Roman and Celtic cultures.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Snowhite189 wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 03:14 I get so curious about the title at first so I started reading it when started i wanted to finish it but i've learned later on that i was only allowed to read few pages only a sample of it that keeps me hanging, a lot of questions in my mind would Catrin and Marcellus end up together, what will happen to Marrock, the brother of Catrin will he be the next king after Amren their father. What will be the fate of the raven will he continue to give messsages to Catrin because Catrin has the ability to see through this raven's eyes the things which about to happen, this is getting more exciting and highly recommended.

You will not regret buying the book especially since you have already read the first chapters. I am sure you will be glad to have it on your bookshelves.
JodieLKM
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading: Solaris seethes
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodielkm.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by JodieLKM »

I have just discovered this exciting book and am anxiously reading it. I love the idea of a strong female warrior and the mystical ability of Spirit animals. Combined, these two make for a great character that defies both her parent and her lineage in order to do what she thinks is right for all. Even though there are, at times, selfish intentions, she is a young girl with abilities she is not allowed to use, yet tries to use them to help those she loves. Even though the first pages are all I have access to, I can see the plot is well developed and the reviews are of great acclaim. I can understand why. Apollo's Raven is, by far, the best book I have read on mind-meld in a long time. This book seems to blend the best of the Druids with the best skills of the Native Americans, at times, and this is very intriguing. I have downloaded it to my Kindle just so I can read the whole thing. Even though I do not get to officially review it, I still want to read it.
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

I have this on my 'to read' list. Sounds great. I love historical novels, whether fiction or non-fiction. Can hardly wait to start this one.
SEG

Return to “Historical Fiction”