Official Review: Atlantic Dragon by Brendan C Quinn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Official Review: Atlantic Dragon by Brendan C Quinn

Post by DustinPBrown »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Atlantic Dragon" by Brendan C Quinn.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I first read the synopsis for Atlantic Dragon, I was intrigued but hesitant. The back cover made it sound ambitious and fascinating, but I knew there was a chance it could flop like a land-stranded fish. Thankfully, there’s no flopping, but it’s not all graceful swimming either.

The book centers on a secret Chinese conspiracy to attack the United Kingdom that’s uncovered by various everyday people. The novel mainly follows Marcus Sommers, a professor of Chinese studies at Oxford who, because of his language skills, gets caught up in a para-governmental agency’s investigations of suspicious happenings across the British Isles. As the story progresses, more characters stumble on the grand secret, and over the course of some five years, we see our heroes trying to survive and spread the truth.

My biggest worry, at first, was that the plot would feel contrived or unbelievable. In our current world, the idea of China attacking one of its major trading powers in the west is ludicrous, and I’m not going to say the motivation given in the book is a bulletproof one either. But suspending your disbelief on this point makes the rest of the book a thriller. The question, “How are they going to get out of this one?” ran constantly through my head at the end of each chapter. Quinn clearly spent a lot of time plotting his book, and that hard work shows.

Outside of the plot, though, I found myself less engrossed than I’d like. The pacing feels off, especially in the beginning where the story drags. The clipped, minimalist style creates a dramatic tone that injects action scenes with a sense of urgency. Yet that same style creates dry prose in more relaxed moments. I’m still conflicted about the ending as well; if it were my story, I don’t think I would have given away the conspiracy from the get-go. It’s hard to depend on only dramatic irony, after all, especially in a novel of this length. In addition to all of that, my edition was filled to the brim with typos.

The characters, too, are a mixed bag. Most of the large cast are interesting, fleshed-out people reacting to a crazy situation just like anyone else would. However, I found our principal character, Marcus, unsympathetic. I want to avoid spoilers here, so suffice to say that he comes off as rather petty and cowardly when it’s time for him to make important decisions, particularly those regarding his family.

What does that leave us with? In my opinion, a 2 out of 4 star book with a lot of potential. What this really felt like was a second or third draft, not a fully-polished novel. It has all the elements of a great story, specifically the impressively-constructed plot. But the other elements aren’t quite there yet, in my opinion. If you like political capers or espionage tales, you’ll enjoy the thought and detail put into the story. For the rest of us, though, I don’t know if action alone can forgive the typos and slow pace. Here’s hoping for an improved second edition.

Atlantic Dragon
View: on Bookshelves

Like DustinPBrown's review? Post a comment saying so!
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

Unfortunately the concept alone of China attacking one of its major trading partners put me off entirely, but your thorough review was the final nail in the coffin, especially if the main character is unlikeable. Like you said, here's hoping it gets a polish!
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

elinadsy wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 00:29 Unfortunately the concept alone of China attacking one of its major trading partners put me off entirely, but your thorough review was the final nail in the coffin, especially if the main character is unlikeable. Like you said, here's hoping it gets a polish!
It honestly would have been a really good book with a few more revisions. The concept is what drew me to the book, though as I said, it's pretty unlikely. I was willing to suspend my disbelief on that, but it just didn't make up for it in other areas like it needed to.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I understand that when the pacing of a story is too slow it can drag on. The plot of espionage between global trading partners is brilliant.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I hope the author takes your advice and makes a revision. Thanks for your honest and thorough evaluation.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Great analysis - sounds like the author started out with some really good ideas but didn't quite make it.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The theory behind this book's theme hasn't been so uncommon these days, although there have been more obvious attempts to dispel any qualms caused. The complexity would've really seemed good in a novel, yet it could have more catastrophic consequences if true in real life. Peace and harmony are definitely better. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Pity that there are a lot of books out there, like this one, that has amazing plots but not well constructed. The characters are important aspects too, and sometimes, they carry a much heavier weight than the plot. You could have a lousy plot but with amazing characters, you could still pull it off. Thanks for your honest review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”