Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Post by Christina Rose »

6912dirtyfeet wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 03:17 In our world today we hear of abuse around the world, this book has captured that subject everyone dances around. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars because I can relate to Natalie and know the feelings she is dealing with. I liked "Ironbark Hill" because of the issue it placed inside this family and just how one can move forward with living their life. It sends the message to anyone being abused to stay strong and fight back.
That's definitely a message that some people unfortunately need to hear.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

PaigeA wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 15:36 Thank you so much for all these comments. I almost feel like I have read the book. It sounds like a very inspiration, moving book. And I always love books with strong female leads!
Strong female leads are always a plus for me, too. :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

mcurtis wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 17:00 I think the plot and characters were written well. I only cared for the main character, Natalie, the other characters didn't have much in redeeming charateristics. The mother was disappointing in her role. Her daughter was so dedicated to her and supported her in the end, when her mother was not protecting her while she was vulnerable. But this shows the relationship between an abused person and the abuser. The mother shut down and the children suffered. This continues to happen in today's society. This could be an eye opener for the priviledged who never had to deal with issues such as this. I think this is a good book to recommend for young adults and older teens to relate to ideals they may be facing.
I've read similar thoughts from other reviewers about the characters of Natalie and her mother. It seems to be the consensus :)
Thank you for your insight. This book may very well serve as an eye-opener for some.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

RebeccasReading wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 18:04 This book was a tough one to read because of all the emotional weight. I thought it was excellent.
Emotional subjects like those discussed in this book aren't always easy to tackle. It sounds like the author did well, though.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Farmgurl1 wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 18:49 I really enjoyed reading this book. The writing is so eloquent and almost poetic. The plight of Natalie to rise up against poverty, abuse and avenging her dead father is so powerful. I really liked that Natalie is such a strong character and keeps her head high even when she gets continuously beat down. There really wasn't anything I didn't like about the book. The book was very emotionally charged through and kept me interested. Easily one of the best books I have read this year.
It sounds like this book really met, and possibly exceeded, your expectations. I'm looking forward to tackling it as soon as I'm able.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

KatrinaP wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 16:55
Slevasse wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 21:41 This book for sure had me stepping out of my genre comfort zone, but I was glad to.
It's always great to read books that stretch us a bit in terms of our comfort; I think sometimes we readers dig down into our favorite genres so far that we miss great books in different genres!
I agree. That's one of the things I enjoy most on this site; the exposure to books we would normally pass over.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

tlemire wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 21:36 I just finished this book, and thought it was a good read. I felt like I really knew Natalie after going through the life-changing events with her and watching her grow and mature. I will be interested in reading other books by Jennie Linnane, and would recommend this one to others. That said, it all went a bit fast for me at the end. Would have liked there to be more substance in between what occurred with Alex and the end.
It's good to hear you'd be interested in reading other books written by this author. Someone else mentioned the abrupt ending as well. Thanks for your thoughts.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

tlemire wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 01:38 This was my first review and I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. After finishing my review and then reading other reviews, I lean toward a 4. The writer is a great author. There was a lot of substance to the story, and she didn't leave loose ends. All of my questions were answered. And while she made some choices not everyone would like, she made it clear why the choices were made so they were understandable.
I'm glad that you're open to the opinions of others. Sometimes I'll find in the reading of other reviews, that there was an element I misunderstood. This can absolutely change my mind about a rating on occasion.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Mildred Tabitha wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 01:47 I have read around 5 reviews about the book so I can fully understand what it is about. I is now a book I want to read and I just added it on my shelf. I am not sure if my personal experience is what has drawn me towards the book but I feel I can relate to it and reading it will be inspiring for me.
I hope you enjoy the book, and that it is indeed inspiring for you.
laban123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by laban123 »

the book is entertaining,loved the storyline,i would give it a five star rate
KatrinaP
Currently Reading: Tempest's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katrinap.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by KatrinaP »

Christina Rose wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 01:03
I agree. That's one of the things I enjoy most on this site; the exposure to books we would normally pass over.
Me too! I read a lot of fantasy but had never read a comedic fantasy, and I just recently read and reviewed The Fish Wielder for this site; I had never even heard of this book or the author, and I may never have had it not been for this site, and I absolutely loved the book! It's easy to get so comfortable in a genre that you overlook anything new or different, but this site really pushes you to take chances on new books, and so far for me it has really paid off.
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Post by rs1977 »

The story conveys an important message about abuse,
Although I did not like the narration and the writing style,
I would concur that the story reflects the day-to-day happenings
in the society that can be seen in many instances. But I
have my own reservations about the book being the 'Book of
the Month'.
marcmoise2300
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marcmoise2300 »

Better than expected, I think a lot of girls will relate to Natalie, Definitely going to recommend this book to more people.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I didn't like this book at all. It casually displays violence, murder, and adultery without real consequences. Often, it even showed these things as good responses to undesirable behavior. It was also really hard to read since the narration was so different from the dialogue. The author used apostrophes instead of quotation marks but then used a lot of additional apostrophes in the slang. I liked the cow and how that storyline sections off the book between beginning, middle, and end. I will not be recommending this book to anyone and don't understand how it was voted book of the month.
alexandratriona
Currently Reading: Autrou and itroun
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandratriona.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01J8PBEUM

Post by alexandratriona »

The book was okay, but a bit too depressing for me. However, you do have to admire the tenacity of Natalie. Overall, I would recommend it to others, even though it personally was not what I prefer.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”