Official Review: How to Build an Enduring Marriage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: How to Build an Enduring Marriage

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Build an Enduring Marriage" by Karen Budzinski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are like me, you probably do not like being told that you cannot change your spouse or that you should be the one to change. It is always easier to place the blame on someone else and expect them to change. Still, it is such a frustrating perspective as experience has taught us that people rarely change out of coercion. For us to be truly happy, we can only change ourselves and our role in relationships.

How to Build an Enduring Marriage by Karen Budzinski is a book written from a Christian perspective on matters relating to marriage. Budzinski’s book is written mostly for women who would want to see their marriages succeed. The book covers various topics that revolve around, cultivating a godly character, effective communication, giving up control, role-play, change, having the spirit of joy throughout marriage life as well as other insightful themes.

One of the things that stood out for me in the book, How to Build an Enduring Marriage, is the fact the author appreciates women’s concerns. She does not just brush them off. Instead, she recognizes them but offers an alternative to having a critical mindset. The alternative, in this case, is to focus on your spouse’s strengths. This frees the relationship off of strain and gives the other partner the liberty to express themselves. As Karen Budzinski puts it, “Some behaviors do not change, but our attitudes can.” Further, she asks the reader to be realistic and to remember that their fulfillment comes from God alone.

The information contained in How to Build an Enduring Marriage is also expansive covering many important areas of marriage. Budzinski’s advice is wholesome and reflects on the institution of marriage from a spiritual, emotional, financial, social and physical outlook. There is not any form of interaction between spouses that the author does not address. Her advice is also backed by scriptural passages from the Bible. To give the message even greater depth, Karen Budzinski adds real-life illustrations sometimes including her own experience of marriage, as well. These stories along with the advice in the book ultimately create an impactful read.

The author’s message is also current and recognizes the challenges that face marriages in today’s world. Every reader needs to connect the message of a non-fiction book to their world, I am no exception. In this aspect, the themes contained in How to Build an Enduring Marriage are on point and directly relate to what we go through or what we see happening around us. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to any woman who would love to truly build an enduring marriage.

How to Build an Enduring Marriage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I am glad to hear that the topics are considered in today's light; couples did not face the same issues in marriage in biblical times! I like that the author is realistic, advising the reader to focus on ourselves, which is the only thing we truly can control. Thank you for a wonderful and enlightening review :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's interesting to me that this is written mostly to women. I guess women need help as well, but I'm more interested in books that approach the subject with both husband and wife in mind. I think we should work on our marriages together as a couple, but that's just me. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 07:25 I think we should work on our marriages together as a couple, but that's just me. Thanks.
Good point. I also agree with the opening sentence of the review: it's true to say that we can't change other people, we can only change ourselves. Nevertheless, I do think it takes two to build a solid and successful marriage.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I will recommend this book to all married couples, especially those experiencing marital difficulties. They should try to purchase a copy of this book because the author has provided real and down to earth answers to their burning issues.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I love the concepts presented in this book! The fact that it is backed up by both scripture and personal examples make it even more appealing. I would read and recommend this book! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Good review. I like that the author neither brushes off nor belittles the concerns of women today. It is also great that she uses Scripture in writing her guide to an 'enduring marriage'.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I couldn't agree more that couples are to keep God the center of marriage. It's also great that the author addressed the dimensions of wellness for a successful and happy marriage.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This book is needed at such a time as this when separations, divorce and dysfunctional families are on the rise. The approach may not be that good for some as it appears that women are the target here. However, I believe the author is approaching the subject from a view point that she understands well. It is true that fulfilment will not come from our partners but God.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I have a great marriage but always am looking for ways to improve myself, because I know that often times it's me rather than him. So I'd definitely be interested in reading this book to gain insight on how I can better myself in my relationship with my husband. Thank you for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Positiveminds7
Currently Reading: Jesus -- from Birth to Baptism
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-positiveminds7.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Positiveminds7 »

Aѕ thе book was writtеn in bоth christian аnd comtemporary реrѕресtivе, I fеel it might bе a little соnfuѕing tо ѕоmе readers. Hоwеvеr, i think it iѕ worth reading аѕ it соntаinѕ many аdviсе tо hеlр married wоmеn in their marriages. Frоm mу оwn реrѕресtivе оf marriage еvеn after rеаding the bооk, if уоu аѕk me 'Whаt mаkеѕ a wifе vаluаblе? Whу Dоеѕ Yоur Huѕbаnd Want To Leave Yоu?

To bе vаluаblе tо your huѕbаnd you nееd tо knоw how he thinkѕ аnd what iѕ imроrtаnt tо him. You then nееd tо try аnd givе it to him. For еxаmрlе, Evеn if you earn a lоt оf mоnеу, kеер thе hоmе ѕроtlеѕѕ, are a grеаt mother, сооk great mеаlѕ аnd trеаt уоur huѕbаnd likе a king this iѕ nоt еnоugh if thiѕ iѕ nоt what hе thinks iѕ imроrtаnt. For еxаmрlе оn thе wееkеnd hе might wаnt уоu tо gо with him to the races аnd уоu rеfuѕе because уоu hаvе to сlеаn thе hоuѕе. If hаving fun аnd rеlаxing is mоrе imроrtаnt tо уоur husband thаn a сlеаn hоuѕе уоu will not bе mееting hiѕ nееdѕ аnd уоur value will lеѕѕеn. At that mоmеnt hе wоuld еаѕilу ѕwар you fоr a wоmаn whо likes to hаvе fun.

Overall, I соmmеnd thе аuthоr. This book will help many women tо ѕtор separation or divоrсе frоm thеir huѕbаnd. Thеу will undеrѕtаnd that to gеt rid оf еmоtiоnаl diѕtаnсе, thеу muѕt bесоmе еmоtiоnаllу vаluаblе tо their husbands.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”