Official Review: Let Your Misery be Your Ministry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Official Review: Let Your Misery be Your Ministry

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let Your Misery be Your Ministry" by EM Ernst (Liz).]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let Your Misery be Your Ministry by Dr. Liz Ernst is a religious book that addresses abuse, forgiveness, trauma, and restoration. Dr. Ernst bears a responsibility to help others, and she uses her personal experiences to propagate her message. The events chronicled in the book are real, but the names are changed to protect the guilty.

Dr. Ernst describes an abusive and distressing childhood. Her father leaves before she could ever know him. Her alcoholic grandfather and her mother would physically, mentally, and verbally abuse her. Her great-grandfather had been abusive to her grandfather. Consequently, her grandfather maintains the pattern on many of the women in his family (including Dr. Ernst). Her mother and grandmother get critically sick, and she has to work the night shifts and weekends at her grandparents’ bar. She gets injured several times trying to lift and care for them. During her adolescent years, she witnesses several deaths in her family. Furthermore, she is forced to contend with oppositions in diverse churches as an adult. Nevertheless, God begins helping her overcome all the harrowing experiences. She surrenders and starts a ministry to help others.

Abuse is an issue many people face. Unfortunately, it defines people when not dealt with. Abuse produces shame, guilt, and unforgiveness. The author states, “Abuse is a pattern that needs to be identified, acknowledged, and dealt with.” In addition, a person must establish his own identity and not accept the identity assigned by people or circumstances.

I appreciate the message of hope in the book. There is always hope for anyone who is going through traumatic experiences. The Holy Spirit can help people through these moments and facilitate recovery and restoration. I agree with the author’s notion that the devil is not the source of every problem in a person’s life. Some problems are due to adverse decisions or circumstances. Additionally, the book reiterates that God never rejects anyone even if others do.

Notwithstanding, I think the book was written on the Microsoft Word software and converted to another format – mobi. This led to several format issues such as many displaced letters, a disorderly page layout, and inconsistent line spacing. Furthermore, I do not appreciate the many grammatical errors in the book. For instance, “…some of which has been a process…” and statements like, “My grandfather was… the only son from a family of five. He had a twin brother who died and three sisters…” In addition, I do not agree with the author’s belief that everyone grew up in a dysfunctional family (to some degree or another). I believe this is a fallacy of hasty generalization.

I give the book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. The book does not seem professionally edited, and the format issues make the book difficult to read. However, there are many lessons to be learned from the author’s personal experiences. The book will appeal to people who love biographies and religious books.

Let Your Misery be Your Ministry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

That sounds like a very inspirational book. I would like to read it sometimes and explore the author's insights, although I am not very religious. Thanks for the review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hope that the author can get all the formatting issues fixed as it sounds like that is the biggest problem with this book. The content sounds quite inspirational especially for those that have suffered from some kind of abuse. Thanks for the information on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

While I love biographies and books that have a spiritual nature, I do not like trying to read something that isn’t formatted properly. I just wouldn’t be able to overlook it. I found from your review that the author really was on the right track with abuse being generational, and that is an important subject to expose and clean up. But, it sounds like the book isn’t ready for the public quite yet. Good for you to at least give it a good try.
Everything happens for a reason...
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Abuse is a common theme in the books I've read lately, as well as in personal relationships. I'm glad there are books out there that offer this message of hope. I agree with your point that the devil is not the only source of trouble. There are several causes that could be explored. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
izumbah
Currently Reading: Sindy in Real Life
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by izumbah »

i love religious books especially those one that will inspire me in different way and this book sound like one of those books that will add value to the society and bring change in our community.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

stacie k wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 19:46 Abuse is a common theme in the books I've read lately, as well as in personal relationships. I'm glad there are books out there that offer this message of hope. I agree with your point that the devil is not the only source of trouble. There are several causes that could be explored. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for the comment. I'm also glad abuse is being addressed. Lives have been changed by abuse, and a message of hope is truly needed.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Books such as these can only motivate and provide hope for lost and abused people. It is such a pity that the editing has robbed it of some of its perfection.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like the title of this book. I believe that any pain entering into our lives can be turned around to help others. Thanks for giving a balanced review.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

teacherjh wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 14:59 I like the title of this book. I believe that any pain entering into our lives can be turned around to help others. Thanks for giving a balanced review.
Thanks for the comment. It sure can.
― Charles William Eliot
Jjuuko2427
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jjuuko2427 »

Sharing the experience of such kind is really good. Am an African living in Uganda east Africa, but day by day such cases happens to many young people which ends up ruining there lives forever, am sure if such experience is shared we can save the your generation.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Thanks for the review.
It's great to see a book on abuse and the necessary forgiveness to move forward.
I wonder why so many grammatical errors.
Books are lovely.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Mr Benji wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 10:30 Thanks for the review.
It's great to see a book on abuse and the necessary forgiveness to move forward.
I wonder why so many grammatical errors.
Thanks for the comment. I wonder myself. I hope it gets fixed though.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Jjuuko2427 wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 13:36 Sharing the experience of such kind is really good. Am an African living in Uganda east Africa, but day by day such cases happens to many young people which ends up ruining there lives forever, am sure if such experience is shared we can save the your generation.
Thanks for you comment, and thanks for sharing your experience. I pray these cases, in your country and globally, end fast. Sharing experiences create awareness that helps to create a better world.
― Charles William Eliot
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

ayoomisope wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 21:25 The Holy Spirit can help people through these moments and facilitate recovery and restoration ... Additionally, the book reiterates that God never rejects anyone even if others do.

Thankfully, this has been my experience as well with regard to painful experiences. I love stories of God's work in the lives of real people to heal them and teach them to use their past pain to bless others. The poor editing is a shame because it might put off more people from reading this that could benefit from it. I will be checking this book out myself despite its flaws because of your thorough review. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”