Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Re: Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Post by jvez »

I agree with everyone saying that it's always been a thing. It's just that media is providing more attention to these cases nowadays. The good side is, I think some teenagers are now more open to accepting help from others since they know that they're not the only ones in that type of predicament, specially if it's an abusive adult-minor relationship. People, at least some, have also become more accepting and less prejudiced of teenagers who have had extramarital relationships or relationships with adults. The bad side is, since many similar cases have become known, some teenagers are starting to think that these cases are okay and normal; thus, it's fine if they do it, too.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

These things always happened. It was just easier to hide them back in the days where socials didn't exist.
Berry :wine:
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Sixty years ago there was a tendency to ignore the acts of a relative or erase memories of their existence when they've 'committed' these acts to ensure no social disgrace of the families. There were lots of euphemisms used like "She's gone to visit her relatives" or something relating to that. It was considered a stain on the family and so wasn't really spoken about too.

Nowadays, what with the freedom of expression, we're more lax to do and say as we please so tongues are wagging more and consequently, stories are spread faster. That being said, younger girls were married off to older men more so than the younger ones because the former were more firmly established in society and other areas. There's also the whole psychological aspect of young girls having older men fantasies and 'daddy issues' that encourage this attraction.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Sheenah684
Currently Reading: the rain watcher
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheenah684.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sheenah684 »

The only reason people believe this happens more frequently now is due to the prevalence of reporting this situation and media. This has always happened but it was not always reported. You can even look to recent documentaries and stories of this happening in Catholic schools in the 1950s and 1960s.
allan+online[]review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by allan+online[]review »

With the world being a 'global village' teen extra-marital affairs have sky-rocketed now than back in the 50s. Moreover, some current slogans such as 'if you can't abstain use a condom' seem to give teens the message that extra-marital affairs are ok as long as they are handled safely.
innocentdemand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocentdemand.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by innocentdemand »

AnitaM wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 03:40 In my opinion, these things have always happened. I think we just hear about it a lot more now thanks to heightened awareness and discussion about topics like age of consent, grooming, etc. Perhaps, in the past it was also easier to keep things hidden. Nowadays, social media, messaging apps, and technology mean that people leave a trail, and secrets are a lot harder to keep.
I have to agree with this. It's a lot more out in the open and stories about this getting on the news tend to get a lot of attention because, well, people like hearing about this stuff! I don't know, I kind of feel like it's similar to back around that era when two grown women would live together, never married - no one ever spoke about it but everyone knew what was going on. It was probably like that in a lot of situations.
sugar coating is for desserts.
Litzy reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litzy-reader.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Litzy reader »

I think teenage extramarital affairs are as common today as in 1950s. Just that the news spreads faster this days
SkyeDragon
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyedragon.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by SkyeDragon »

I believe these types of affairs have always occurred in some form. However, in 1950 it was easier to keep secret. Today with all the social media and technology we have there is less privacy and more information readily accessible to people.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I don't know what really happened in the 1950s, but I think teenage extramarital affairs are happening a lot in 2018. I really wouldn't be surprised if I heard my neighbor or teacher ran off or cheated on their spouses with a teenager. It happens too often these days for it not to be believable in 2018.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I think that there would have been a similar amount, but we are more aware about it now due to social media. I think there's also more female teachers now having relationships with male students
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I think Natalie's relationship with Mr. Glover would be more common today than in 1950, but this is something that has been happening since always.
tirzahhawkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by tirzahhawkins »

I think that affairs like this have been just as often throughout the years. Because of television and social media, we hear about them more easily now. A hundred years ago, news did not travel as quickly.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I feel it is more well known nowadays because things are less secret. Social media has a huge impact and it seems like one accidental little post of a picture can be spread like wildfire and suddenly your secret is no longer a secret.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Yes, the tale is believable now more than in years back. The society is moving forward so fast such that some moral fabrics are slowly breaking away leaving some elements behind. Some of the effects include the teenage extramarital affairs sometimes because of money or to seek for some favours.
Last edited by Kibet Hillary on 21 Apr 2018, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

strawberrysab wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 16:23 These things always happened. It was just easier to hide them back in the days where socials didn't exist.
True, had not seen it from this perspective that there was no much information flowing between people but it is also true that the rates have risen.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”