Review by Helen_Combe -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Review by Helen_Combe -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni The Superhero by R. D. Base is a charming book designed to be read out loud to children up to the age of 4 years. It is beautifully illustrated in vivid colours and the sentences are very short. Most follow the format ‘Toni likes to’, followed by an action. This is perfect for children of that age as they enjoy repetition and predictable patterns.

I love the reverse focus of this book. Usually the story would be about Toni saving the world with his superpowers. However, this author has no interest in that aspect of his life and centres instead on his day-to-day activities.

Toni’s lifestyle is very healthy. He eats fruit and vegetables, he takes exercise, he reads books, helps with the housework, gets his sleep, and is kind to animals. I particularly like how he interacts with other people, dancing with his mum as well as helping around the house and playing with his friends. In fact, this book is all about the important things that people should aim to achieve, rather than aspiring to be able to fly or lift lorries.

R. D. Base has actually made a better job of finding an ambassador than the United Nations did when they appointed Wonder Woman. I remember how angry I was when I found that young women were now supposed to aspire to having superpowers as well as being beautiful. Toni, on the other hand, has superpowers but aspires to being a worthwhile, healthy and loving human being. Eat your heart out, Wonder Woman.

Personally, I suspect that Toni isn’t a superhero at all, but is in fact a sweet little boy with a superhero costume. But don’t tell him that, or the child to whom this is being read. This is a secret that the adults can keep for their own enjoyment, along with Father Christmas and the tooth fairy.

I appreciated the way the swimming pool has ‘4ft’ written on the side to ensure that it is safe; I thought that was a nice touch. I also love the way nearly all of Toni’s activities are captured in the illustration on the book cover. I had fun linking them to their respective pages, so I’m sure that a child will get equal and possibly even more entertainment from it.

I have no criticisms of this book and am delighted to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 16:11
R. D. Base has actually made a better job of finding an ambassador than the United Nations did when they appointed Wonder Woman.
I love this! It gave me a good laugh. Well done on an awesome review! I thoroughly enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bianka Walter wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 03:02
Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 16:11
R. D. Base has actually made a better job of finding an ambassador than the United Nations did when they appointed Wonder Woman.
I love this! It gave me a good laugh. Well done on an awesome review! I thoroughly enjoyed it :)
Thank you very much! 😊
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

Interesting review. Thanks for posting! I don't exactly understand why you don't like Wonder Woman.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

PaigeA wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 14:54 Interesting review. Thanks for posting! I don't exactly understand why you don't like Wonder Woman.
I don’t dislike Wonder Woman, I disliked it when the United Nations elected her as role model for young women. She’s fictional. She hasn’t achieved anything in the real world. The United Nations should be able to find a real woman to be a role model. To have to resort to fictional characters implies that there are no worthy women.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

Helen_Combe wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 14:59
PaigeA wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 14:54 Interesting review. Thanks for posting! I don't exactly understand why you don't like Wonder Woman.
I don’t dislike Wonder Woman, I disliked it when the United Nations elected her as role model for young women. She’s fictional. She hasn’t achieved anything in the real world. The United Nations should be able to find a real woman to be a role model. To have to resort to fictional characters implies that there are no worthy women.

Oh. Now I see what you mean. Yes. That is disheartening.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 16:11R. D. Base has actually made a better job of finding an ambassador than the United Nations did when they appointed Wonder Woman. I remember how angry I was when I found that young women were now supposed to aspire to having superpowers as well as being beautiful. Toni, on the other hand, has superpowers but aspires to being a worthwhile, healthy and loving human being. Eat your heart out, Wonder Woman.

Personally, I suspect that Toni isn’t a superhero at all, but is in fact a sweet little boy with a superhero costume. But don’t tell him that, or the child to whom this is being read. This is a secret that the adults can keep for their own enjoyment, along with Father Christmas and the tooth fairy.
Loving the analysis here - thanks for a wise and witty review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Libs_Books wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 15:43
Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 16:11R. D. Base has actually made a better job of finding an ambassador than the United Nations did when they appointed Wonder Woman. I remember how angry I was when I found that young women were now supposed to aspire to having superpowers as well as being beautiful. Toni, on the other hand, has superpowers but aspires to being a worthwhile, healthy and loving human being. Eat your heart out, Wonder Woman.

Loving the analysis here - thanks for a wise and witty review.
Thank you, I wasn’t sure at first if having a rant about Wonder Woman was appropriate, but I’m glad I did 😄
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Wonder Woman as a role model would have led many women to depression, LOL! That's impossible to achieve, what with the 22-inch waistline and the lasso of truth (no more lying about age and weight, as well as cheating on diets). I'll go for Toni every time.

Thanks for a wonderfully entertaining review, Helen! And you still had time to think of Acanthisittidae!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 00:59 Wonder Woman as a role model would have led many women to depression, LOL! That's impossible to achieve, what with the 22-inch waistline and the lasso of truth (no more lying about age and weight, as well as cheating on diets). I'll go for Toni every time.

Thanks for a wonderfully entertaining review, Helen! And you still had time to think of Acanthisittidae!
Yes, that

Thank you. Yes, that’s exactly how I felt about Wonder Woman.

Well you did ask for a challenging word. :D
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Well you did ask for a challenging word. :D
[/quote]

That it was! On topic, I enjoyed your fabulous review which goes into the issues about heroism raised by the book.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 02:14 Well you did ask for a challenging word. :D
That it was! On topic, I enjoyed your fabulous review which goes into the issues about heroism raised by the book.
[/quote]

Thank you very much :D
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Toni's heathy lifestyle, colorful illustrations and positive message makes it a valuable book for children. Thanks for your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 05 May 2018, 08:30 Toni's heathy lifestyle, colorful illustrations and positive message makes it a valuable book for children. Thanks for your review.
Thank you :D
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I quite enjoyed this review until the comparison with wonder woman. I think wonder woman will be happy for Toni though.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”