Review by JJNP -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Review by JJNP -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by JJNP »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base

Toni is no ordinary boy, he is a superhero, and he has many tasks to do. But some of his tasks are ordinary everyday tasks, when he is not too busy saving the world. Toni shares his secret double life as a superhero and an ordinary young boy who enjoys many activities. Toni does a lot of helpful and fun tasks as a superhero with a normal life, including reading, playing and helping with the housework, and he makes them into fun superhero tasks, thus encouraging young readers to identify with Toni and think of these everyday tasks and activities as special and superhero tasks. Encouraging them to take part and feel like 'superheroes' themselves.

This is a delightful short children's book for younger children, only 30 pages of brief text and illustrations, and would be perfect for a bed time reading book, encouraging interaction between a parent or carer and their child. It is also ideal for children beginning to read and provides a fun and useful start in learning to read, by keeping the text short and simple with good illustrations. Most children want super powers or supernatural ability, and so they will easily identify with Toni and possibly take on board his willingness to read and to help with chores and participate fully in activities.

The illustrations are snazzy, sharp and humorous, they are well done and complement the story well. Toni is a happy and lively young superhero and a great role model for children. The story keeps things simple and easy to read by not having a plot but simply following Toni's activities in simple sentences and showing that a superhero can be very normal and enjoy everyday activities.

I like the fact that this book is obviously an interactive book to be read to younger children by adults, and to encourage children learning to read to participate. It is a nice short length, ideal for bed time and a brief child and adult interaction time. There is nothing I don't like about the story. I like the scene where Toni is reading but manages a superhero task at the same time, and I am sure children will also find it amusing.

This book looks as if it will be part of a series in the same vein, encouraging children with everyday activities. A very good idea. I thought that this was a very nice little book with good illustrations, it is upbeat and encouraging as well as interactive, the illustrations are nice, and I could find no errors in spelling or grammar, so I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like JJNP's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I also liked the way it depicted a healthy and happy lifestyle. I gave it 4 stars too.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

Thanks for the review. I liked how his "superpowers" were normal, every day things.
JJNP
Currently Reading:

Post by JJNP »

Helen_Combe wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 04:09 Great review. I also liked the way it depicted a healthy and happy lifestyle. I gave it 4 stars too.
It's a nice little book. If I had children I would get them a copy.
JJNP
Currently Reading:

Post by JJNP »

PaigeA wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 14:55 Thanks for the review. I liked how his "superpowers" were normal, every day things.
It's a lovely way of encouraging children to participate to the full and feel that they are achieving a lot.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

JJNP wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 09:58 It is also ideal for children beginning to read and provides a fun and useful start in learning to read, by keeping the text short and simple with good illustrations. Most children want super powers or supernatural ability, and so they will easily identify with Toni and possibly take on board his willingness to read and to help with chores and participate fully in activities.
Great review! I really liked this part^. I think a superhero is a great choice for the main character especially in a children's book. By showing Toni doing regular activities, eating healthy and helping his mothers, the author is setting a great example for kids. She's making those activities more appealing! (especially the broccoli part)
I also reviewed this book, check it out if you want.
JJNP
Currently Reading:

Post by JJNP »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 04:49
JJNP wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 09:58 It is also ideal for children beginning to read and provides a fun and useful start in learning to read, by keeping the text short and simple with good illustrations. Most children want super powers or supernatural ability, and so they will easily identify with Toni and possibly take on board his willingness to read and to help with chores and participate fully in activities.
Great review! I really liked this part^. I think a superhero is a great choice for the main character especially in a children's book. By showing Toni doing regular activities, eating healthy and helping his mothers, the author is setting a great example for kids. She's making those activities more appealing! (especially the broccoli part)
I also reviewed this book, check it out if you want.
Thanks, I will check out your review.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

JJNP wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 04:01
PaigeA wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 14:55 Thanks for the review. I liked how his "superpowers" were normal, every day things.
It's a lovely way of encouraging children to participate to the full and feel that they are achieving a lot.
Agreed!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”