Official Review: Get up and Go! by Tyila Cooks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Get up and Go! by Tyila Cooks

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Get up and Go!" by Tyila Cooks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Get up and Go!, by Tyila Cooks, is about how the author pulled through some difficult times by prayers, trusting in God, and the support of her family and friends. Step by step, she describes how her son, James, became a casualty and had to undergo series of surgeries to stay alive. Also, she narrated about how her oldest daughter survived diabetes and some acute complications of the disease.

While Tyila's son was in the hospital, fighting for survival, a close friend advised her to share James' daily overall condition with her family and friends on carepages.com. She heeded the advice and started posting updates about the medical procedures, James' response to treatment, and prayer targets for him and other people she met in the hospital. All the updates are shown in the narration with dates and time, and they give deeper insight into her experiences.

Afterward, the author continued to narrate about her daughter's severe medical conditions and how her unwavering faith in God and fervent prayers got her daughter free of diabetes and kidney disease. Well written and easy to read, this narrative is touching, engaging and inspiring. Though it belongs to the non-fiction genre, its plot is simple and suspenseful. The author sequenced the events in a way that gets a reader glued to the book and desiring to know how each situation ends.

Tyila is a good mother and great caregiver. From the narration, you can see her vibrant personality. She was brave and always there for her kids. She was their rock during the crises, and I have enormous respect for her. Whereas there were times she felt lonely and tired, she sure knew how to get out of such states and stay focused. All the caregiver updates contain a lot of prayer points and prophetic declarations, and if you're a Christian, who doesn't know how to pray yet, I suggest you read this book. I bet you'll become a prayer warrior in no time.

If you don't like Christian literature, you might not like this read since it's jam-packed with many Christian testimonies, Scriptures, and petitions. At the beginning of each chapter, there is a stirring quote, and the lyrics of some gospel songs were added to the text. Furthermore, the book was well edited since I found one typographical error, and on three pages, I noticed a few blank spaces. In an absorbing manner, the author puts her storms into categories. The first is approaching severe, the second is severe, and the third is significant severe.

Moreover, this spiritual guide shows how to control emotions. With her personal experiences, Tyila provides ways to manage negative emotions, such as loneliness, sadness, fear, anger, pain, grief, and fatigue. This book encourages readers to pray and lean on God at all times. It shows that God answers prayers. It's engaging and supporting. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it for anyone that is going through a tough time, whether a Christian or non-Christian.

Get up and Go!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like an inspiring and helpful read! I’m particularly interested in the technique of how to manage emotions. Emotions can be quite powerful and can lead us to unwanted destinations if not managed. Thank you for a wonderful review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This sounds like a positive and helpful book, one that may help me and undoubtedly will help others. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds interesting, but I'm always unsure of books that profess that you can be healed if you just pray. So, I think I stay away from this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 14:36 This sounds interesting, but I'm always unsure of books that profess that you can be healed if you just pray. So, I think I stay away from this one for now.
Tyila didn't profess that you can be healed if you just pray, though it's possible. She ensured all medical procedures were carried out and prayed for the procedures to be successful.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This one is going straight on the want to read shelf after reading your review. I think true life stories like what you have described here keep us grounded and in the right frame of mind as storms come our way. It sounds like the book has its way of connecting with the reader by being 'real' and not sugar coating the truth. I find some literature that used scripture or God as sometimes covering the 'icky' part of life and faking it. This one sounds sincere and of good use for those of us who need a daily dose of reality and the reminder to lean on prayer to see us through. Thank you for this review.
Everything happens for a reason...
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is a Christian story which is geared towards re-energizing those who are experiencing difficult life setbacks such as accidents, mental pain and, other traumatic situations. Good review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The heart touching story of Tyila is an amazing example of faith in God. It's an interesting story of strong believe in God. Well, faith plays a vital role here. Thanks for your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
ANickum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anickum.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by ANickum »

This sounds like a very powerful story! The experiences of caregivers and family are beginning to be looked at more and more by pre-healthcare programs. I will definitely recommend this to faculty to prepare their students for helping religious patients.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I believe books like this one are great and a need for anyone who likes self-help books. Reading self-help books with guides and steps explaining how to live a better life is an important thing but reading about someone's journey to thriving might be just as important.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

stacie k wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 00:29 This sounds like an inspiring and helpful read! I’m particularly interested in the technique of how to manage emotions. Emotions can be quite powerful and can lead us to unwanted destinations if not managed. Thank you for a wonderful review!
I am also interested in this bit. Learning how to manage emotions because if not managed, they may lead us to make some mistakes that we will live to regret.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wonderful review here. Get and Go! This title made me think that the book was about the miracle of Jesus healing a cripple. The story is good. The lessons drawn are great and I believe that any one who prays will always want to learn how to launch deeper still in prayer thus the recommendation is both to prayer warriors and them that want to learn how to pray since iron sharpens iron.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

Kibetious wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 08:02 Wonderful review here. Get and Go! This title made me think that the book was about the miracle of Jesus healing a cripple. The story is good. The lessons drawn are great and I believe that any one who prays will always want to learn how to launch deeper still in prayer thus the recommendation is both to prayer warriors and them that want to learn how to pray since iron sharpens iron.

Yeah, iron sharpens iron! This book is a worthwhile read. Thanks for the comments.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”