Official Review: Maker by Jester Bobbity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Maker by Jester Bobbity

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maker" by Jester Bobbity.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While I'm usually not the biggest fan of fantasy fiction, the plot of Jester Bobbity’s novel, Maker, caught my eye. Hoping for a light, enjoyable read, imagine my surprise as the story immediately pulled me into a world of action, magic, epic battles, and unlikely heroes.

Maker is not your typical wizard nor hero character. Still recovering from an unbelievably traumatic childhood, he works together with his apprentice, Zora, making a living selling potions to humans, stealing from the local vampires, and generally ridding the city of the more dangerous and troublesome monsters.

By no means a powerful wizard, Maker often prefers to retreat rather than rush foolhardy into the fray, considering logic rather than emotion in times of battle. However, when a local group of warlocks, wizards, and shapeshifters led by Blackstar, bring the battle to him, he’s forced to fight like he never has before. Will he and Zora be able to survive this battle and will they manage to stop Blackstar before he unleashes an unspeakable evil upon the world?

Brilliantly written in first person, the author manages to mix both action and magic in a real-world setting in a way I haven’t come across before. The easiest way to describe it would be if you were to combine Patrick Rothfuss and Lee Child, or even Harry Potter and John Wick. While there are a lot of fight scenes and violence they were never too graphic or unnecessary.

What I especially enjoyed were the characters. Maker is so realistically flawed and is a mix of both good and bad characteristics that the reader is behind him 100%. Fully aware of the limitations of his power, dealing with mental flashbacks of torture and abuse, as well as the physical toll all the fighting has on his body, it's amazing that he can function at all. Yet this exhaustion is portrayed so well that his struggle is believable.

The relationship as a mentor which he has with Zora is based a lot on mutual respect. Zora is quick-witted, violence-hungry and sharp-tongued, often providing some much needed comic relief. Able to move at super speeds, she comes to Maker’s aid when he needs it most, in spite of whatever their original plan may have been.

The villains in the story come in many forms and are described with wonderful imagery. The reader feels no compassion for them whatsoever, yet they do not come across as fake or cartoonish in their villainy.

Overall this was an excellent, well-edited book and I begrudged any time that I was pulled away from reading it. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This is definitely for any fantasy fan and especially for those who enjoy the mix of magic and action while still based in a real-world setting. As the first book in the series, I immediately checked online for the sequel which sadly hasn’t been written yet. I will eagerly watch for its publication so that I can continue with Maker’s story.

Maker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I love that the woman apprentice is the violent, witty character of the two. The propensity for the physical, along with a sharp tongue, reminds me of Devi from Name of the Wind.

Thanks for this review! As a fantasy lover, I'm going to add this to my list!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Batsam008
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Batsam008 »

Definitely checking this book out now! You had me at “Harry Potter and John Wick!” Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad Maker is so realistic. I'm unsure if I'd like this one as I don't usually go for magic. So, with your high rating I might have to try it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Glad to see an author who can write action well without excessive gore. I'm really curious how maker got his name. Maybe I will just have to read the book and see if that question is answered. It's refreshing to see that there are can be situations where the woman is more ruthless than the man. It's not the typical scenario in literature, but it can certainly be the case in real life. Thanks for this great review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Certainly not your normal fantasy book when you read they're stealing from the local vampires. I am intrigued and will check this one out.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like the compatibility the character are to each other, no matter what the status of the relationship is if one can fulfil the other it is a fascinating read. The ideology is great. Thanks for sharing your opinion!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I agree with you that readers are more likely to be drawn by realistically portrayed characters with their share of flaws and weaknesses. What is more appealing to me is that in this case the protagonist is a wizard who is normally expected to have almighty powers. Thank you for a very interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

From your description this almost sounds like the show Supernatural, but less gruesome. I love fantasy and magic and I think it's great that the characters hold up to the story! Thanks for the thorough review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Several things caught my eye about your description. First, the archetypal mentor character is a woman, which is a nice subversion of this trope! Second, the powers seem well-developed and come with impactful drawbacks. This is important; the backbone of a fantasy novel is its magic system.
Snakeman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Snakeman »

Maker by Jester Bobbity is a boy you will like to read. Great story putted in a special way. The writer make you see life in a different way which helps very well
Smokey-383
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smokey-383.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Smokey-383 »

Love your review, it really entices me to read this. Sci-fi /fantasy is my preferred genre and this sounds like something I will enjoy. You have given a thorough description of the characters and they appear to be realistically portrayed and relatable. Thanks!
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

This is a book for me! And the cover is awesome! It looks like a movie poster, also something I'd be willing to see. Maker has all the things I enjoy from fantasy novels and more. Adding this to my "read ASAP" list. Thanks!
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

This sounds so interesting, your review was so beautifully written. It sounds like the perfect book to get lost in for a bit. I'm definitely going to add this to my list of books to read. Thanks for the review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Maker is a Robin Hood type superhero who robs from evil entities just so he can use what he has robbed for a good cause. This is the only way robbery is justifiable. Very good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”