Official Review: Deadly Highway by J. Stewart Willis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Deadly Highway by J. Stewart Willis

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deadly Highway" by J. Stewart Willis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deadly Highway: Super Highway Beta 1.0 is an exciting and intense thriller written by J. Stewart Willis.

With twenty two years of experience but with no apparent future in the army, civil engineer and former military lieutenant colonel Charlie Hendricks finds himself in the Government Relations Office of the Bedford-Ewings International Corporation. His job is to find business opportunities offered by the federal government while Bedford Ewings takes on the management of contracts by putting together a team of companies with different areas of expertise. These teams which include design, logistics, system engineering and software must work together to accomplish what needs to be done.

Charlie presents the solicitation from the Department of Transportation for the initial phase of the replacement of the Interstate Highway System to the vice president of Bedford Ewings in Washington and becomes part of the project and the competition the project entails.

Though I found the book relatively uninteresting at first, my attention was eventually caught by the fifth chapter and my curiosity was piqued. The story, though not the ‘hold your breath’ kind of exciting or 'on the edge of your seat’ kind of suspenseful, is intense with its steady pacing and regularly shifting scenes between the various characters. The author is able to keep the readers’ interest in high level by giving away bits and morsels of information that will, apparently, be used later in the story.

Characterization is adeptly done that it is easy to tell the good guys from the bad guys and the guys in between. My favorite is Charlie Hendricks. He is nice and fair. He knows not only what he does but also what he wants and he is not easily deterred. He refuses to be intimidated nor manipulated. Though I found the ending a little inconclusive, I can honestly say it is satisfying.

The most important part of the book for me is the realistic depiction of ambition. While some people are happy and take pride in doing things they enjoy doing, some people will stop at nothing, will go as far as they can, and will run over anybody that comes their way just to be ahead of everybody else.

The part I like most about the book is the portrayal of Charlie’s family. Though they appear to be an ordinary family, they show how a family should be and what a family should do in that they support each other, they stick together and they face challenges as a team.

However, there are too many characters that some readers may find it difficult to remember and keep track of every one. Moreover, the explanation about the engineering and the software involved may be too technical for some readers. Finally, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book mostly typos.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an intense, exciting and suspenseful book about ambition. It involves adultery, blackmail, drugs and death. I recommend it to fans of crime and thriller novels. References to drugs and sex, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

Deadly Highway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really dislike when the author tries to use too many characters. Nevertheless, you've made this sounds intriguing! A book can be intense in a more mild way if that makes any sense. Thanks for another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This book reminds me of the controversy in expanding the Panama Canal (in The Expansion). Big-time infra projects are fodder for all sorts of intrigue. From the book summary, I read that even the wives (behind every ambitious man is a more ambitious woman!) join in the competition!

Thanks for writing this "one for the road," Kimmyschemy06!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 17:52 I really dislike when the author tries to use too many characters. Nevertheless, you've made this sounds intriguing! A book can be intense in a more mild way if that makes any sense. Thanks for another great review.
Thank you. It's one enjoyable book :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 18:43 This book reminds me of the controversy in expanding the Panama Canal (in The Expansion). Big-time infra projects are fodder for all sorts of intrigue. From the book summary, I read that even the wives (behind every ambitious man is a more ambitious woman!) join in the competition!

Thanks for writing this "one for the road," Kimmyschemy06!
You're welcome. i enjoyed reading the book.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m not sure I could hang in until the fifth chapter to become curious. For me, I think the negatives outweigh the positives. Thanks for a helpful review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

stacie k wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 00:56 I’m not sure I could hang in until the fifth chapter to become curious. For me, I think the negatives outweigh the positives. Thanks for a helpful review!
You're welcome. I enjoyed the book despite my issues.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review as always! I was particularly interested in your opinions since I had considered picking this book for review. I like your comment that the author keeps readers interesting by giving away little morsels that become important later in the story. That's the type of plot I like! It's too bad about the slow start since many readers choose a book based on the Amazon sample.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 10:03 Great review as always! I was particularly interested in your opinions since I had considered picking this book for review. I like your comment that the author keeps readers interesting by giving away little morsels that become important later in the story. That's the type of plot I like! It's too bad about the slow start since many readers choose a book based on the Amazon sample.
Thank you very much. It's a very interesting book and I enjoyed reading it.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I read the sample of this book and did notice the typos immediately. Even so, I was somewhat interested, but noticed it was slow. I'm glad to hear it picked up and you enjoyed it. Thank you for your review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 17:40 I read the sample of this book and did notice the typos immediately. Even so, I was somewhat interested, but noticed it was slow. I'm glad to hear it picked up and you enjoyed it. Thank you for your review!
You're welcome. It's an enjoyable book.
kinyaemulatyamatt
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: When Ice Cream is Not Enough
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinyaemulatyamatt.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by kinyaemulatyamatt »

The book cover design almost got my attention. It coerced me to go through the review to have a discernment of what the "Deadly Highway" enmeshed. I know I adored it and added the book in "I must read" list
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kinyaemulatyamatt wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 08:10 The book cover design almost got my attention. It coerced me to go through the review to have a discernment of what the "Deadly Highway" enmeshed. I know I adored it and added the book in "I must read" list
Thank you for your comment. I hope you get a chance to read it.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Honestly what I find interesting about this book is the part where the characters are driven by their own ambition and will stop at nothing to have their way. This behavior is so apparent in many persons in society. The cohesive family setting is another part of the story that I like.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 18:11 Honestly what I find interesting about this book is the part where the characters are driven by their own ambition and will stop at nothing to have their way. This behavior is so apparent in many persons in society. The cohesive family setting is another part of the story that I like.
So true about the characters being apparent in many persons in society.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”