Review by stacie k -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Review by stacie k -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you knew your loved one was hurting and seemingly unable to help themselves? What if they were a target of repeated abuse? What if you were a mere child and that victim was your mother? Such was the case for young Natalie in the novel Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane. The setting is 1950’s rural Australia, and Natalie is one of four children in a dysfunctional home where Alex, Natalie’s stepfather, is an alcoholic. This novel gives an accounting of Natalie’s life from age 16 to 17, the year she identifies as being paramount to her growth from a child to a woman. It consists of a prologue, 24 chapters, and an epilogue.

Natalie is depicted as a brave, independent challenger of authority. She was constantly in a battle of wills with her stepfather, Alex Townsend. The reader finds her to be tenderly compassionate toward her mentally handicapped brother and timid young sister; fiercely protective of her father’s memory and her mother’s honor; and carefully secretive about her home life. To contribute financially to her family, she gets a job cleaning house for wealthy Bruce and Rosemary Glover. Her employment by the Glovers provided sanctuary from the unhappy circumstances of her own home, afforded her opportunity to learn about art from the talented Rosemary, and (unfortunately) led her to an illicit relationship with 35-year-old Bruce.

The most significant theme of Ironbark Hill revolves around alcoholism. Through Alex’s actions, the reader witnesses how alcoholism can lead to desperation, despotism, and brutality. The whole family is affected and suffers from anxiety and disharmony. Other themes include love, loss, secrecy, racism, and poverty. There is also a bit of mystery involved as Natalie is on a quest to reveal the truth about her father’s death.

Author Linanne provides an enjoyable break from the tension by describing a visit from family friends Elaine and Snow with their children Marion and Godfrey. Natalie’s family was temporarily united as they had a common enemy in Godfrey, a thirteen-year-old boy with an unpleasant demeanor. Here we get a glimpse of a more functional family as Alex refrains from drinking and a horrific, yet hilarious, scene plays out with Godfrey receiving what he’s due for his mocking words and inappropriate behavior.

My favorite aspect of this novel was the writing style of Jennie Linnane. She has mastered the art of showing rather than telling. Following is an example of her use of personification of a tree (loc 125): “Over by the shed, ‘Old Lady Nectarine’ had clothed her up-thrusting limbs in a jubilant display of two-toned pink.” She also personified the sun (loc 657): “The sun sank lower spreading translucent fingers out across the plain, clutching possessively to the land it had warmed as though reluctant to leave it to the mercy of the chill moon.” In addition, the author employed a high level of vocabulary which enabled me to learn several new words. Each chapter deliberately reveals more of either the plot or the background of another character. I was easily able to follow the plot and remember each character. In fact, I could visualize the scene and feel the emotions on every page.

As I was reading, I remembered a similar family dynamic portrayed in The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. Both are coming-of-age stories of young girls with alcoholic fathers, mentally retarded brothers, and a role reversal of mother and daughter.

I’m happy to report that the book appears to be professionally edited. I found only one missing comma, one missing quotation mark, and two cases where the chapter number was omitted. Because of the excellence with which it was written, I happily award 4 out of 4 stars to Ironbark Hill. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys coming-of-age stories or stories of real life struggles. Those who are particularly sensitive to abuse may want to stay away. My only recommendation for improvement would be to omit the epilogue and allow the reader freedom to imagine Natalie’s long-term future.

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stacie k's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Excellent review, it sounds like a beautifully written book. I’ll put it on my ‘to read’ list.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 01:42 Excellent review, it sounds like a beautifully written book. I’ll put it on my ‘to read’ list.
Thanks for your comment! I hope you enjoy it!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! The book sounds like it has two important ingredients - well-developed characters and an excellent writing style. I don't think it's my cup of tea due to the disturbing abuse. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed the story!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

stacie k wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 18:38 “The sun sank lower spreading translucent fingers out across the plain, clutching possessively to the land it had warmed as though reluctant to leave it to the mercy of the chill moon.”
I love this! It's always a pleasure to read books that the author's heart is so obviously poured into.
Thank you for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Your review was quite thorough. I have noticed that there are so many ways of presenting a book review and I learned something new from yours. Happy reading to us!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

What a thoughtful review. I especially enjoyed the examples you gave of how the author has a way of showing rather than telling as it relates to writing. Your suggestion on omitting the epilogue so the reader can "determine" Natalie's future for themselves is a great point!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The theme of this story is very interesting as the book raises an important social issue of alcoholism and its bad impacts on a family. Thanks for your insightful review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Misael wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 04:27 Your review was quite thorough. I have noticed that there are so many ways of presenting a book review and I learned something new from yours. Happy reading to us!
I agree. It's amazing to me how several reviews on the same book can be so different! Thanks for your comment!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

SABRADLEY wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 09:16 What a thoughtful review. I especially enjoyed the examples you gave of how the author has a way of showing rather than telling as it relates to writing. Your suggestion on omitting the epilogue so the reader can "determine" Natalie's future for themselves is a great point!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 12:39 The theme of this story is very interesting as the book raises an important social issue of alcoholism and its bad impacts on a family. Thanks for your insightful review.
I agree. The author has succeeded in illustrating the negative impacts on the different family members in different ways. Thanks for your comment!
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like the author is good at descriptions and characters’ development. However, alcoholism and affairs are not themes I like. Thanks for the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Yolimari wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 14:48 Sounds like the author is good at descriptions and characters’ development. However, alcoholism and affairs are not themes I like. Thanks for the excellent review!
Thank you for your comment!
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Good review.
Natalie's comes of age under the clouds of abuse and alcholism. Her struggle to protect hed loved ones and her illicig love story show us different sodes ov the character.
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

qsusan wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 10:12 Good review.
Natalie's comes of age under the clouds of abuse and alcholism. Her struggle to protect hed loved ones and her illicig love story show us different sodes ov the character.
Thanks for stopping by, @qsusan!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”