Review by Kibetious -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review by Kibetious -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War is the title of the book authored by Greg Kater. It is the first book in a series of three books. It is the first work of fiction by this author. It is an amazing book that has two hundred and ninety eight standard pages hence can be read in a short time. The captivating nature of the book coupled with the brevity is what makes it interesting to read. The book is narrated from a third person’s point of view. This enables us to get all events as they happen unlike if one character was to narrate from an individual point of view.

The book begins with some war in the Middle East in Syria where Lieutenant James Munro has been on assignment. His partner is killed and he himself escapes death narrowly. He is rescued by Jacko. The story then takes another turn as the two friends are assigned to a secret operative mission in Egypt. They are to be operating as spies and are attached to the British MI6. Here, their work is interesting as they start to gather information through some beautiful ladies they hire to be helping. It is surprising that love affairs begin here also as Jacko falls in love with a girl he met as he was out during one of his days-off from work. Jacko had visited the Giza Pyramids and he met Monique who was a tour guide. Monique guides Jacko around after agreeing on the amount he was to pay. They become friends and after some frequent visits, the two get into a relationship. The story is full of some surprises here and there and I have to admit that attempting to summarize them would be difficult. To get more on the exciting investigations that follow, you have to read the book yourself.

I found the book particularly of interest to me as it interacts with real historical events, especially the World War II. I think I have learnt about some events that were happening behind the scenes because I never did much History as a subject in High School. The story not only revolves around the major story of how the operatives succeeded in their mission in Egypt but also has other stories such as the investigation and the final capture of some criminal gang that had terrorized people through robbery with violence, multiple rape cases and murder. It surprised me that the leader of the gang was a former colleague of the spies in Egypt.

The story can be summarized in a few words that good will always triumph over evil. It touches on teamwork and the result of people working with proper coordination. It proves that even those who appear too weak to do a particular task can do it well. Indeed, never should a book be judged by its cover. The story line flows easily. Hence, the reader cannot get lost at any point even though the narrator jumps back and forth in time periodically to give a glimpse of the past. The description of people and places is so vivid and wonderful. The words used are not too cumbersome to understand either.

However, it is worth noting that some words are incomprehensible. These words are mostly found in the statements made by one of the characters, Sarah as she converses with Jamie and Jacko. The following are some examples of the statements:
1. “Bloody no yusim white pela you, Jacko,” she said with a big smile.
2. “Nogat kettum lost, Jacko, no yusim white pela.”
The words should at least sound as close as possible to the English pronunciation so that the reader can understand what is being communicated without much struggle. For example, words below can be gotten more easily than the words quoted above:
“Me ken mekim in two days,” said Sarah breaking into the conversation.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars with the above points taken into consideration. The story is just amazing and the little errors are within the dialogues which makes me think that the author was trying to bring out how those characters pronounced words given that English was not their first language. Some like Sarah have not been to school hence her pronunciation is worse. One error repeated severally is on the use of ‘me’ instead of ‘my’. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction. The good thing about the book is that it is free of explicit scenes and thus anyone can read it.

The book addresses several issues. An example is racism. This appears more profoundly when one villain describes the shooting of some black men as a sport to enjoy to see. This is when he describes how they murdered seven Aborigines by shooting them. The issue of racism also appears as the story of the murder of Jews by the Nazi Army is also captured in the story. In fact, most of the spies used by Jacko and Jamie are of Jewish origin hence wanted to help in the war against the Germans. It is also saddening that within some parts of Australia, some pubs prohibit the sale of beers to the Aborigines. Gender discrimination is also evident. Jacko, who is Sarah’s brother, is taken through formal schooling whereas Sarah is not. I could not describe this action in other words other than gender discrimination.

To say that the summary of the book can be given here would be a white lie as there is much to be said about it. This can be gotten by reading the book itself as my review will not give it all.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Mauriceike
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mauriceike »

I think racism,crimes and, nevertheless, patriotism also dominate warramuga's war
Ictierney+
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ictierney.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Ictierney+ »

I liked how you commented on the historical knowledge presented in the book. I too felt as if the author provided very interesting facts, espionage happenings, and battle statuses related to Egypt in WWII.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I like your review its so in depth yet doesn't divulge so much information too.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Mauriceike wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 22:23 I think racism,crimes and, nevertheless, patriotism also dominate warramuga's war
Very true. Thanks a lot for the reply.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Ictierney+ wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 15:37 I liked how you commented on the historical knowledge presented in the book. I too felt as if the author provided very interesting facts, espionage happenings, and battle statuses related to Egypt in WWII.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm grateful.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

DorcasToo wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 10:25 I like your review its so in depth yet doesn't divulge so much information too.
Wow. Thanks a lot for the reply. Much appreciated.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

Excellent review. I am currently reading the book and your thoughts resonate with what I've picked up in the book. It's truly a wonderful read. Except for the parts written in gibberish.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 04:12 Excellent review. I am currently reading the book and your thoughts resonate with what I've picked up in the book. It's truly a wonderful read. Except for the parts written in gibberish.
Gread to hear that you are enjoying reading the book and also picking up similar issues addressed in this review. Thanks for the reply.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

Am glad I have read this review I have just finished reviewing it and I couldn't agree more with you. The book is so amazing and I was glued from the beginning. I also love how friendship and family values are portrayed while at the same time highlighting the espionage situation in Cairo.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I have read and reviewed this book too. The different languages and dialects used in the book were very interesting. But spying only seemed to involve meeting up with beautiful ladies and following and overpowering unsuspecting German agents -- a little too easy I thought!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Joytoo97 wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 10:39 Am glad I have read this review I have just finished reviewing it and I couldn't agree more with you. The book is so amazing and I was glued from the beginning. I also love how friendship and family values are portrayed while at the same time highlighting the espionage situation in Cairo.
Glad that you enjoyed reading the book just as I did. What was rating? Thanks a lot for the reply. I am very grateful.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Manali_DC wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 10:53 I have read and reviewed this book too. The different languages and dialects used in the book were very interesting. But spying only seemed to involve meeting up with beautiful ladies and following and overpowering unsuspecting German agents -- a little too easy I thought!
Glad to hear your perspective on the book. I guess this must have evaded me because somehow I considered the risks that the spies were exposing themselves to. Thanks for the comment.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I have read and reviewed this book. I also like the inclusion of some historical events here, that’s why I like the historical fiction genre. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”