Official Review: It's Easier to Dance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: It's Easier to Dance

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Easier to Dance" by Annie Harris-Meachem.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s Easier to Dance: Living Beyond Boundaries is the memoir of Annie L. Harris, an African American woman born with cerebral palsy. In the book, Harris’ story parallels the development of social consciousness through her childhood, in the 1940s, and into adulthood. At first, it is her mother’s resilience and strength that help Harris overcome social stigma due to her disability. Later, she has to learn to defy the odds herself and believe that she can do it but with great effort.

Still, Annie L. Harris learns that being a woman and a minority also pose unique challenges over and above those that come with her disability. Her remarkable positive attitude and refusal to fail becomes an incredible asset. Even so, she appears to bear no bitterness, only dancing to the tune of life as it presents itself. Annie L. Harris does not view herself as a victim but as a person who has a lot to offer the world and all those around her. Even though she is physically limited, she points out other ways that a person with a disability can offer support to friends, family and the world.

There are a number of features in the book that I loved. The structure of It’s Easier to Dance: Living Beyond Boundaries was a great bonus. I liked that the author did not merge all the aspects of her life together into one mixed up story but divided the plot into smaller chunks. Every chapter showcases a particular viewpoint of Anne. L. Harris. For instance, chapter 6 tackles her thoughts on femininity and chapter 10; the impact loss has had on her life. That way, each chapter stands out from the rest and also gives the reader a different view of the author’s life, independent of other parts of the book.

The voice that Anne L. Harris uses in It’s Easier to Dance is calm and warm. She does not feel like the world owes her. It is obvious that her disability has not held her back. Her adventurous and vivacious nature is reflected throughout the book.

Her subtle yet impactful approach to social issues influenced me and my viewpoint of these matters. I was also inspired by the author’s approach to life in general. Despite the challenges she faced, she grew up to be an indispensable part of her society.

I would have wanted to rate the book a full 4 stars. Still, I couldn’t. It definitely requires further editing. I noticed a number of grammatical errors.

Putting all these into account, I rate It’s Easier to Dance 3 out of 4 stars.

It's Easier to Dance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Benard Aisakhuoghena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Benard Aisakhuoghena »

The book(earier to dance) is an amazing book, teaching those with disability what life is! Some people with disability often channel their failure to that disabillity. Which is why I like this book.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Nice review, the sounds to good to all people who are suffering from depression .thanks for the review .
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
asmamia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by asmamia »

Nice reviews I am very interested by this subject of depression!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like an inspirational story. The author had so much working against her. I would like to see her take and attitude on it all. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I absolutely treasure stories like this where a person who has what society calls a disability, forges ahead and doesn't let her circumstances define her. The title is so fantastic in that it makes for such a positive visual picture. For someone in her condition to dance would be a difficult feat, but she is basically saying that whatever you can see in your mind, you can achieve regardless of any so-called limitations. We need more young people to hear and see stories of this nature as it seems our society focuses so much on what cannot be done. It sounds like from your review you could see the resiliency in the author who paints such a wonderful picture of life regardless of what is going on with her physically. Thank you for this insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

What a refreshing perspective she has! This sounds truly inspirational! I would like to read about her life. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Tthe right way to approach life is never to allow sickness, faults or failures to bog you down. Rise up and step forward into positivity.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

She certainly sounds like a remarkable character - and this is almost like a piece of history. I am glad that you found it inspiring despite the editing errors.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir written by an African American woman born with cerebral palsy sounds inspiring. That her story parallels the development of social consciousness is to her credit. Well done to the author for overcoming her challenges. Too bad about the grammatical errors. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Inspirational books are always a breather from heavy fictions. I am looking forward to be impressed and inspired by this memo especially in a world full of woes and heartaches! Congrats!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Nice review. This memoir sounds like a truly enlightening and inspiring read. The author truly seems to be quite remarkable with so many life experiences and attitudes that we can all learn from.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas
Currently Reading: Not Dead Yet
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinwale-taiwo-ilyas.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas »

This is really inspirational and I love it. It's a memmoir worthy of note and appeallng to other people with disabilities. No matter the nature of one's disability your self will and determination will help in overcoming the challenges.
"The reading of all good books📚 is like a conversation with the finest men of past centuries" - Rene Decartes (1596 - 1681)
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
Charine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 477
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charine.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Charine »

Thanks for a positive review. After finishing chapter one, I am having a hard time convincing myself to finish this book. It's just so difficult to read with all the extra words, the grammatical errors and the missing words. I applaud the author on her memoir as this story needs to be read, yet it is in a serious state of editorial disrepair.
"You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."
- Cormac McCarthy
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Despite the unfortunate health condition, the vivaciousness of the author reflected throughout the book is really heartwarming. All of us need to read books full of positivity such as this one.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”