Review by lbhatters -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Review by lbhatters -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by lbhatters »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine feeling a vibration on your wristwatch and looking down, only to be notified that you have ten days left to live. This is the terrifying “final notice” that the characters of Van Fleisher’s book received by their doctors.

The book Final Notice, by Van Fleisher, begins with Vince and his wife Trudi Fuller in their home. They are both elderly, ordinary citizens. While watching TV, they see a shocking ad for guns that are on sale for seniors, and Vince is becoming convinced that a gun could help protect them both from being hurt and exploited. Meanwhile, we hear of several murders being committed around the country, no doubt due to the NRA’s push to sell guns to the elderly. Giving people the knowledge of the end of life, which seems to be connected with owning this watch, along with the availability of gun ownership to the elderly, becomes a topic the NRA, the FBI, the makers of the watch, and the press must confront head on, as they watch these mass murders being committed by the seemingly innocent elderly.

The author uses superb vocabulary to create excellent visuals, which made me feel emotionally invested in the main characters. I enjoyed getting to know the Fullers; in fact, I felt I could identify with all the author’s main characters. While many classic theorists have grappled about morality and how it can fit into literature, to pull it off is a very hard thing to accomplish, in my opinion, and the plot of this story is one you imagine could actually happen.

The most notable part of Van Fleisher's novel are the themes. This book not only challenges readers to personally consider, “What would you do if you knew you only had a week to live?”, but also what they would do with a gun should they have knowledge of that “final day”. The theme that there can be tragic consequences to putting more guns in people's hands is something I feel the author has demonstrated successfully in his narrative, especially in the denouement, where we see the culmination of events unfolded. Fleisher’s exceptional portrayal of human interaction, and the psychological struggles of minority groups such as the elderly and displaced, combined with an exciting plot made reading the book a pleasure. The Fullers as a couple and as a symbolic representative of the elderly population caught in the inner conflict related to gun ownership was done successfully, in my view.

On the other hand, some readers may Final Notice to be a bit overwhelming and serious. The themes are mature and the topics uncomfortable. I personally enjoyed the story and the issues it brought to light, and for this reason have rated this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lbhatters's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I also loved the Fullers. They were my storybook grandparents :) Thanks so much for your review, I really enjoyed it.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Good observation that it can be difficult to incorporate moral arguments into works of fiction. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I loved this book as well. It is definitely an important read, even if it makes people "uncomfortable". I wish that more authors would write politics-based fiction so that people could read about issues and discuss them without feeling guilty.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

You have a straightforward way of reviewing books. No frills, I like that. As a beginner, I learn things from reviewers like you. Thanks!
lbhatters
Currently Reading:

Post by lbhatters »

Bianka Walter wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 18:20 I also loved the Fullers. They were my storybook grandparents :) Thanks so much for your review, I really enjoyed it.
Really good books incorporate "storybook characters", I think, along with a good plot and good themes. I think it's part of human nature to enjoy books that have loveable characters we can identify with (but even killers? Killers who are trying to preserve and protect some cause...?). Maybe!
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

-C.J. Cherryh
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The topics are uncomfortable, but Fleisher has accomplished his goal of making the reader think. I think it's great that he did all of this in an entertaining way through likeable characters. Thanks for your well-done review! I enjoyed reading your perspective!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
lbhatters
Currently Reading:

Post by lbhatters »

Misael wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 15:44 You have a straightforward way of reviewing books. No frills, I like that. As a beginner, I learn things from reviewers like you. Thanks!
Thank you.
-Fransis of Assisi

-C.J. Cherryh
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Can a gun really protect the individual? And if the answer is yes, then what of society and the collective? Do guns really protect them? Or do they simply increase the danger we are exposed to? These are some of the basic questions prompted by reading Final Notice.
lbhatters
Currently Reading:

Post by lbhatters »

qsusan wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 08:03 Can a gun really protect the individual? And if the answer is yes, then what of society and the collective? Do guns really protect them? Or do they simply increase the danger we are exposed to? These are some of the basic questions prompted by reading Final Notice.

Good point. "Do they simply increase the danger we are exposed to?" Maybe. People say people kill people and guns don't kill people, however that is an interesting point. If you are in the kitchen cutting vegetables and someone threatens you, might you react differently if you were not in the kitchen holding a knife, such as just leave?
-Fransis of Assisi

-C.J. Cherryh
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thanks for that enjoyable review. It’s nice to know that the book is not just a vehicle for gun law debate but has a story and fully rounded characters that the reader can invest in.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

stacie k wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 20:16 The topics are uncomfortable, but Fleisher has accomplished his goal of making the reader think. I think it's great that he did all of this in an entertaining way through likeable characters. Thanks for your well-done review! I enjoyed reading your perspective!
I agree with your post. Everyone will not agree on everything but if an author writes a book that challenges the reader to at least think about the possibility of the issue, that author has done his/her job. The ability to relate to characters in a story is a great way the author is able to make the reader understand what the character is going through.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like that you enjoyed the book. However, for me, it sounds quite tense and overwhelming especially because of the psychological wars of the minority groups. Thanks for the review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for very revealing yet concise review of this book. I definitely would not want to know what time my life on earth will end. Just knowing that info. would cause my life to end even sooner and my life would be flooded with much anxiety and fear.
SumanBDasgupta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by SumanBDasgupta »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book while reading as i have already read this book before joing to this site and i really liked this one as the whole story deals with two people husband and wife who knows that they have only one week to live freely. So getting a news grabbing a gun would how can put them in safety. Which in turns shows the news that how eldeely people are doing the crimes for their own safety. The author is really able to touch the heart

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”