Is gun really the answer?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
calvo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is gun really the answer?

Post by calvo »

Gun is not the answer because it entails taking someone else life ,making a change in both of the lives is something worth .
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

As a teacher I am dismayed at the current suggestion that classroom teachers be armed. I don't like the continuing trend to live in fear. We keep adding more laws and so called protections instead of dealing with the real problem. The question should not be 'where did that school shooter get a gun' but 'how can we deal with all the pain in the human heart that makes a person turn to violence'?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

teacherjh wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 11:46 As a teacher I am dismayed at the current suggestion that classroom teachers be armed. I don't like the continuing trend to live in fear. We keep adding more laws and so called protections instead of dealing with the real problem. The question should not be 'where did that school shooter get a gun' but 'how can we deal with all the pain in the human heart that makes a person turn to violence'?
Very true. Does this suugest that the students will be having guns too or? In class you will be watching for out any attack instead of teaching. It will interfere will the learning environment greatly and negatively in this sense.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Yes a gun can be the answer if it is the only option for self defence. The problem would rise if it falls in the wrong hands; anything that ends up in the wrong hands will be misused in most cases.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I agree to most that a gun should only be used as a last resort. But if there are really no other possible options, I don't think it's a crime to use a gun to protect yourself and your family.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

I feel safer knowing that I have a gun for self-defense. The majority of the time those who commit a crime with a gun obtained the gun illegally anyway. Furthermore, I would never want to live in a country that bans guns from their citizens, but then allows exceptions for their military. If a person is not comfortable with firearms, they have no business owning one, but I don't think someone's fear should dictate whether or not I get to keep my right to bear arms. "To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens." - Adolf Hitler
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

teacherjh wrote: ↑17 Apr 2018, 11:46
As a teacher I am dismayed at the current suggestion that classroom teachers be armed. I don't like the continuing trend to live in fear. We keep adding more laws and so called protections instead of dealing with the real problem. The question should not be 'where did that school shooter get a gun' but 'how can we deal with all the pain in the human heart that makes a person turn to violence'
Very true. Does this suggest that the students will be having guns too or? In class you will be watching for out any attack instead of teaching. It will interfere will the learning environment greatly and negatively in this sense.
I think the idea is that if a shooter were attacking the school, I could protect my students with the gun. My thought is that it would be much more likely that i would be disarmed and make the situation worse. Plus it could be a distraction in class. I am not against guns or self-defense but I don't want one in my classroom.
SkyeDragon
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyedragon.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by SkyeDragon »

I believe guns are a useful tool when used responsibly. As for protecting one's self, a gun is not always the best option for most people. If you are in a job or situation where your life can be threatened at any time there may be merit to having a gun for protection, but with this gun comes a high responsibility to ensure it is used responsibly. I do not have any issue with those who own guns and use them responsibly.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

SkyeDragon wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 04:24 I believe guns are a useful tool when used responsibly. As for protecting one's self, a gun is not always the best option for most people. If you are in a job or situation where your life can be threatened at any time there may be merit to having a gun for protection, but with this gun comes a high responsibility to ensure it is used responsibly. I do not have any issue with those who own guns and use them responsibly.
True. There is need for personal responsibility.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

No, gun is not the answer. But I might support using it if it is the only option available but I would personally prefer never to use it.

As a kid, I have seen my father go out at night with long sharp objects or machetes for protecting the family. This has happened frequently when we lived in the rural areas. Although he has never harmed anyone. I am imagining if he really had a gun. We all know how pulling a trigger is easier than raising a sharp object to complete a task.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I personally don't feel so! Even if I had a gun, and proper training to handle the weapon, I am not sure I could have used it. But then again, I can not say for sure what the situation will make me do. It is one thing to ponder about this while commenting, and entirely another thing to get attacked and not being able to defend.
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Richard Whitehead »

I think that guns should not be the answer. In my own opinion, they should be used as the last resort.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

In the instances of self-defense, the gun is the answer.I don't believe having guns in the home is the absolute solution, given the so many cases of gun-related accidents in the home .
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I live in a country where guns are hard to get and people don't own them. I feel safe. So no, I don't think that gun is an answer to self-defense.
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

That's a tough question. It's mainly personal belief. I grew up in a household very familiar with guns and I feel very comfortable with them. If it came down to protecting the people I love, I would not hesitate to say that a gun could be the answer. However, I don't think there is any situation that would warrant me to say a gun is the only answer. While there might be another choice, I don't necessarily think that means that guns can't be used in self-defense. If anything, people just need better training.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”