Review by P0tt3ry -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Review by P0tt3ry -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by P0tt3ry »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I read the Kindle edition of Final Notice by Van Fleisher. The premise of the book is that knowing the time of death could alter people’s behavior. There are primarily four groups that we follow throughout the book: those involved in the creation, implementation, and marketing of the smart watch that delivers the Final Notice; the elderly watch wearers (or test subjects), their associates, and possible victims; law enforcement, especially FBI agent Zoe Brouet; and the pro-gun politicians, organizations, and members. VitalTech’s Dr. Vijay Patel has “developed a sports watch that could measure, analyze, diagnose and even predict complex health issues.” One of the features is Final Notice: a message of impending death that can be delivered to the watch wearer.
VitalTech members, their financial backers, lawyers, and marketing staff try to navigate the legal and ethical ramifications of including Final Notice in the final product. Vince and Trudi are a couple that appear throughout the book. Theirs are two voices that actively explore gun ownership and usage in American culture. The experiences of some of the other test subjects are recounted during the story as well, but Vince and Trudi serve as the fulcrum around most of the issues discussed pivot. The FBI, as well as other law enforcement agencies, has to develop protocols to deal with the new technology. Public shootings, the NRA, gun control, political corruption, immigration, racism, and ageism are woven into the broader discussion. The conclusion does not really answer the question: What would you do if you knew you were going to die? Rather, it seems to conclude that the answer is different for each of us.

It was amazing how smoothly the story flowed despite the large number of characters. I liked the character development enough that I was genuinely sad when some of the characters died. The author did a good job of describing emotional states and personality. There were a few twists as test subjects managed their final tasks. One was a real surprise, and there’s no way to share it with you without spoilers. One escapade was not believable, and yet I suspended my disbelief to enjoy the chaos. I could see the ending coming—it was predictable. It was also satisfactory.

There really wasn’t anything about the story that I disliked. It was well-edited. There were some compound sentences that could have been broken into several sentences for easier reading. There was two author’s asides, inserted in the text, on one page that seemed completely out of place. The two footnotes in a 352-page fiction novel were a bit odd as well. Those author’s tools usually either are used consistently throughout or are not used at all.

The political slant of the book was clear. It does have a definite liberal viewpoint. Some of the characters do spend time trying to consider different viewpoints. I wouldn’t go so far as to say this provided balance, but it did reflect the conflict that many Americans feel as we try to understand complex subjects.

I’m rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found it interesting and thoughtful. It isn’t a book for everyone. The story meanders at times, and switches from scene to scene throughout the book. I would recommend it for readers interested in psychological, political, or human-interest stories. If liberal viewpoints make your blood pressure rise, this is not the book for you. It would be a good selection for a book club—if everyone is interested in civil discussion.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like P0tt3ry's review? Post a comment saying so!
julieroses
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by julieroses »

Thank you for your review. It was clearly written, and helped my decide not to read this particular book. (I have a hard time tolerating an author's use of interruptions to a writing. Either write fiction, or don't...footnotes?? So out of place.)
P0tt3ry

Post by P0tt3ry »

julieroses wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 07:16 Thank you for your review. It was clearly written, and helped my decide not to read this particular book. (I have a hard time tolerating an author's use of interruptions to a writing. Either write fiction, or don't...footnotes?? So out of place.)
I'm glad it was helpful. I usually associated footnotes with scholarly writing--two in a lengthy work of fiction was jarring. This site is so useful when trying to decide whether to read a specific book or not.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I agreed with your suggestion that it would be a good selection for a book club if everyone was wiling to have a civil discussion. I was interested to see that the book generated a lot of response about the NRA, gun control, etc. in the forums as the BOTM. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
P0tt3ry

Post by P0tt3ry »

This book really did get people talking in the discussion forums. There were so many currently-relevant topics. Thank you for reading my review!
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

Nice review! your summary of the stories was very good!
P0tt3ry

Post by P0tt3ry »

Javier Campos wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 11:11 Nice review! your summary of the stories was very good!
Thank you! I like your profile photo, is it a Scottish print portrait? It reminds me of Aberdeen's work.
Cdeyoungde
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdeyoungde.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cdeyoungde »

Thank you for your honest review. I did find my blood pressure rising as I read the sample. I am not a fan of senior citizens owning guns just to intimidate younger people, but I understand after finishing the sample that that was not where the book's main plot was headed. I think my dad, who is 69, would enjoy reading this book. I also identified with several character aspects that I feel are typical of individuals who grew up in the southern part of the US between the 60s and 80s. I could tell that the author was writing about himself in several of the characters. I'm not sure if I will take the time to finish the book. I started to snooze a little during the sample reading. It might not be able to hold my attention throughout the book. :cry:
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
P0tt3ry

Post by P0tt3ry »

Cdeyoungde wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 15:58 Thank you for your honest review. I did find my blood pressure rising as I read the sample. I am not a fan of senior citizens owning guns just to intimidate younger people, but I understand after finishing the sample that that was not where the book's main plot was headed. I think my dad, who is 69, would enjoy reading this book. I also identified with several character aspects that I feel are typical of individuals who grew up in the southern part of the US between the 60s and 80s. I could tell that the author was writing about himself in several of the characters. I'm not sure if I will take the time to finish the book. I started to snooze a little during the sample reading. It might not be able to hold my attention throughout the book. :cry:
The beginning is the slowest part of the book because the groundwork is being laid. I think you'd get more involved in the characters and stories as you worked your way through the story. You still might not agree with them or their viewpoints, and they still might make your blood pressure rise.
Thank you for reading my review. Because I depend on others' reviews when deciding to read a book or not, I try to be fair and honest when writing my own reviews. Happy reading!

Post by 1692 »

This book is really helpful. Don't care about the spoiler. It is totally inspiring, giving new ideas of technology, innovative ideas which gonna help the modern inventor to explore and test new ideas. I will surely rate it .no doubt I'm pretty loving this.
junaid04
Currently Reading:

Post by junaid04 »

This book is really good. This book explain the honesty and hardworking of FBI to develop protocol against the new technologies

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”