Official Review: Bet On Yourself by Vernard L Hodges

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Bet On Yourself by Vernard L Hodges

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bet On Yourself" by Vernard L Hodges.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Vernard L. Hodges grew up in rural Georgia in a trailer park located in a poor neighborhood. Most of his friends did not attend college, sold drugs, went to jail, or were killed. Even though he learned how to be street-smart during his childhood, he always wanted a different kind of life. In Bet On Yourself: From Zero to Millions, Dr. Hodges accounts how he went from picking peaches for cents to attending a prestigious veterinary school, owning veterinary practices and hospitals, and becoming a successful real estate entrepreneur.

Bet On Yourself: From Zero to Millions is a motivational and business memoir consisting of 196 pages. The book is divided in two parts. Part I focuses on Dr. Hodges' life as an African-American growing up in a poor neighborhood and overcoming obstacles to achieve a better life. He narrates how he hung out with the wrong crowd at the Trap (where his friends sold drugs), carved himself a different path, went to college and a prestigious veterinary school, and started his own veterinary practice. Part II is about how Dr. Hodges built a real estate empire with his BRRRR method, which means Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, and Repeat. He also offers advice about business, real estate, giving back to the community, and life.

Dr. Hodges' writing tone is uplifting and pragmatic from the very beginning of the book. He affirms: "Refuse to be a victim of your surroundings. Get up every time life knocks you down. Never quit, despite how hard life gets. If you're going to do well in life, bet on yourself, because if you don’t, then who will?" I liked that he kept this motivational and down-to-earth approach throughout the whole book. I also appreciated that his writing style is easy for the layperson to understand.

One of the main reasons Dr. Hodges wrote this book was because he wants to serve as an example of success to his son and other African-Americans. He explains that African-Americans lack male role models in their neighborhoods. Another important reason for writing about his life and success was because he rightly argues that schools do not teach children about managing money. I believe that Dr. Hodges accomplished his goals concerning writing this book. His life indeed serves as a role model for African-Americans of thriving despite adversity. In addition, the book gives useful advice on real estate and managing personal and business finances.

Without a doubt, I rate Bet On Yourself: From Zero to Millions by Dr. Vernard L. Hodges 4 out of 4 stars. I chose to read this book because I wanted to read the author's advice on real estate since that is an interest of mine and my husband. However, I got so much more from this story. Dr. Hodges is a role model for African-Americans and other minorities. He demonstrates that people can attain success despite growing up in underprivileged communities. I cannot think of something negative about this book. I only found two typos and one grammatical error. I recommend this book to African-Americans, minorities, and those who would like to learn about real estate and managing finances.

Bet On Yourself
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like a very motivating book. It's amazing when someone can pick themselves up from a life like that and "carve" their own way. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I have heard that people like Dr. Hodges who find successful after living an impoverished childhood, typically leave that childhood far behind and never go back to their communities to help other's advance. So the cycle of poverty in those communities continues because the ones who find success, abandon their past. I can't say that I blame them because that takes a lot of hard work and they don't want to be reminded of a past that was not satisfying but Dr. Hodges seems like the kind of man who would never forget where he came from. He sounds like the type of man who would do what he could to uplift his childhood community as a whole and provide opportunities where he could for those still there. It's great that he wants to be a role model for others and I hope that he has found more ways to do that than just writing this book.

Having grown up in a typical, middle-class community I would agree with the doc. Schools do not teach money management. I have always thought there needs to be a class on basic life skills: how to apply for a mortgage, how to create and manage a budget, what you need to know about interest rates, etc...
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I love reading about success stories. They always motivate me to do better regardless of the situation. I loved the review. Thanks
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a really inspiring book, and the author's motives are really honourable. I'm glad you got a lot out of it, but I'm not a huge fan of autobiography, so I don't think this one's for me.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wow! This one sounds like a great book on that his story is a true rags to riches. It is so rewarding to read a book such as this to open up our view of the world. Generally, you won’t see this type of story on the news, so this is why we need books! Inspirational stories are so good for the spirit to help us all be a bit more positive. I enjoyed your review and this one is going on my want to read shelf. Thank you!
Everything happens for a reason...
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like motivational and uplifting books! I'm glad Dr. Hodges employed a writing style that is easily understood. Even though I'm not particularly interested in real estate or the industry of financial management, I feel confident that I could learn from Dr. Hodges' book. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 07:15 This definitely sounds like a very motivating book. It's amazing when someone can pick themselves up from a life like that and "carve" their own way. Thanks for the review!

I was amazed by how he hung out all of his childhood and teen years with the wrong crowd but never succumbed to the temptation of easy money (example: selling drugs). He is even still friends with some of the men who ended up in jail and helps them. I think he is an amazing person. Thanks for reading and commenting!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This goes on to show that determination and hard work will open doors for anyone who's willing to make an effort. This is such an inspirational story.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 08:29 I have heard that people like Dr. Hodges who find successful after living an impoverished childhood, typically leave that childhood far behind and never go back to their communities to help other's advance. So the cycle of poverty in those communities continues because the ones who find success, abandon their past. I can't say that I blame them because that takes a lot of hard work and they don't want to be reminded of a past that was not satisfying but Dr. Hodges seems like the kind of man who would never forget where he came from. He sounds like the type of man who would do what he could to uplift his childhood community as a whole and provide opportunities where he could for those still there. It's great that he wants to be a role model for others and I hope that he has found more ways to do that than just writing this book.

Having grown up in a typical, middle-class community I would agree with the doc. Schools do not teach money management. I have always thought there needs to be a class on basic life skills: how to apply for a mortgage, how to create and manage a budget, what you need to know about interest rates, etc...
Dr. Hodges gives back a lot to his community. He has a foundation, is a member of a church, and helps people. For example, he sends money to a friend from his past who is in jail.

I agree that schools should teach managing finances and basic life skills. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Dr. Hodges has shown the world that with determination, focus, and ambition, anyone will attain their goals.
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Eileen R wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 08:44 I love reading about success stories. They always motivate me to do better regardless of the situation. I loved the review. Thanks
I love reading them too because they are uplifting. Thanks for your kind words, reading, and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

[bn=][/bn]
Libs_Books wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 10:01 This sounds like a really inspiring book, and the author's motives are really honourable. I'm glad you got a lot out of it, but I'm not a huge fan of autobiography, so I don't think this one's for me.
Yes, it is inspiring and the author had valuable motives to write the book. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Veteran topics is not my thing but I like how he uplifted his life and work he worked hard in his life to walk out of his past. A truly a inspirational tale for all of us if we want to change our destiny and life. Thank you for sharing this book through your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

cpru68 wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 15:45 Wow! This one sounds like a great book on that his story is a true rags to riches. It is so rewarding to read a book such as this to open up our view of the world. Generally, you won’t see this type of story on the news, so this is why we need books! Inspirational stories are so good for the spirit to help us all be a bit more positive. I enjoyed your review and this one is going on my want to read shelf. Thank you!
I completely agree with you. The news are so negative and fail to show inspirational and positive stories like this one. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”