Official Review: True love always finds A way

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: True love always finds A way

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "True love always finds A way" by Stacy hendrix.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Suicide was her only option. She couldn’t bear another heartbreak. Ramona Fisher lost all hope and took her own life in 1873. Author Stacy Hendrix tells an epic tale of time travel and second chances in True Love Always Finds a Way.

“True love always finds a way” were the words carved into the beautiful wooden door. In the early twenty-first century, Dakota Durham was building his dream house on a tight budget. He saved money by searching abandoned old houses for salvageable building materials. When he hung the door with the beautiful carvings in his house, the most curious events began to occur. Eventually, the beautiful door opened a portal to 1871!

Dakota and Ramona met in the most unlikely of circumstances, but their love was true. Their adventurous experiences solidified their bond, and they could not imagine a life without each other. In a race against the clock, Dakota tries to undo the past and save the love of his life before it is too late.

I had high hopes for this novel because the premise is so good. There was such potential here, but the story fell short. The main characters fall madly in love too quickly with no skepticism. A man claiming to be from almost one hundred fifty years in the future appeared in her bedroom, and Ramona was not suspicious. She was intrigued. Similarly, Dakota stepped through a door to find another time and space and never questioned his sanity. The author missed great opportunities for drama and humor by rushing through the meeting of Dakota and Ramona. Also, a character that became Dakota’s supposed stalker conveniently left him alone for a ten-month period only to resume her erratic behavior thereafter. Character inconsistency is my biggest irritation as a reader. However, there are captivating elements to this story. I really enjoyed and appreciated that the male characters were open and unashamed of their emotions. Men with no fear of allowing their tears to fall is a refreshing aspect of this novel. Ramona’s household staff was very entertaining throughout the story. They were often the voices of reason while providing comedic relief.

There were many misspelled or misplaced words in this book. Still, the most unfortunate mistake was the author’s use of modern, immature language in the scenes that took place in the nineteenth century. Phrases such as ‘ticked off” and “freaked out” shattered the Victorian illusion for me as a reader. Young adult readers with an interest in romance might enjoy this story.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The characters' lack of concern with actual time travel made me question their intelligence. Furthermore, the many grammar errors distracted from the story. Nevertheless, I was entertained by this story from start to finish. This novel persuades readers that not even time and death can keep true lovers apart because true love always finds a way.

True love always finds A way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Suicide, time travel, and second chances—it sounds fantastic! I’m sorry to hear that it fell short. Thanks for another great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

You have put forward a very thorough review. You were able to delineate all the inadequacies of the author's writings. The premise is however very intriguing.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Sounds like a great scenario - a pity it didn't live up to its promise. The use of modern slang would really grate with me. I'm glad you found it entertaining, though.
Rachele4769
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachele4769.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Rachele4769 »

What a well written review! I am i intimidated a bit. Nice work.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”