Official Review: Blessed Are the Peacemakers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Blessed Are the Peacemakers

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blessed Are the Peacemakers" by Stephen McCutchan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Someone named The Leader is targeting churches. Disillusioned young adults are being sent into churches to injure and kill as many as possible before turning the gun on themselves. Frank Sessions was the first pastor targeted. Now he and his daughter, a police officer, are trying to figure out who the shooter is and how he or she is connected to Frank. Will they be able to figure it out before it's too late?

Blessed Are the Peacemakers is a crime novel with an inspirational edge. While not necessarily a series, Frank Sessions and his family were found in a previous book called A Star and a Tear. While some of what happens in this novel are consequences of previous events, it is not necessary to have read the previous book to be able to follow the happenings here. Having said that, reading the other book would provide a deeper understanding of the characters and events as they proceed forward.

I really enjoyed the characters in this novel as I felt that they were realistic and down-to-earth. With many novels that are faith based, the characters come across as perfect or without sin. These characters, though, have flaws and yet still endear themselves to you.

The book is fast paced keeping the reader involved in the story. The action begins almost as soon as the book opens which draws the reader in right away. It isn't long, though, before the antagonist is revealed making this story into a crime novel rather than a mystery. Still, the intrigue comes in wondering if or how The Leader will be caught.

There were a few areas that I felt the book could use a bit more polish. The first was the editing. There were many sentences that had no spaces between them, and the inner dialogue of characters were not formatted as such. In addition, some solutions came just a bit too easily. For example, when trying to figure out which church would be targeted next, they just miraculously were able to puzzle out where it would be. This was not a miracle in the sense that God told them. Nor was it because they were so brilliant. It just was too simple to really be believable.

Notwithstanding the few areas of improvement I found, I enjoyed reading this book. It's nice to read a book that isn't filled with gory violence, strong foul language and erotic scenes. It's a lighter read as far as crime novels go, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. I rate Blessed Are the Peacemakers 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it for those that enjoy a message of faith mixed with real world issues and people.

Blessed Are the Peacemakers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review Kandscreeley! I have not read the book but based on your review, I agree with your rating. The premise seems alrightish but I will not be reading this one. Thanks for sharing.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This one goes on my TBR shelf as I love crime mystery novels, and if the book is riveting and engaging, I can even get past the grammatical errors - unless they're too many to simply ignore. Thanks for yet another wonderful review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Jaime Lync wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 03:16 Great review Kandscreeley! I have not read the book but based on your review, I agree with your rating. The premise seems alrightish but I will not be reading this one. Thanks for sharing.
It was a good book that I enjoyed reading. It just wasn't standing out enough to warrant 4 stars. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 07:56 This one goes on my TBR shelf as I love crime mystery novels, and if the book is riveting and engaging, I can even get past the grammatical errors - unless they're too many to simply ignore. Thanks for yet another wonderful review.
Thanks for your kind comments! It was enjoyable. If you read it, let me know what you think.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Interesting review as always! I don't like gory violence or an excess of foul language in books so it's nice to see a book that doesn't rely on these elements to tell the story. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the editing issues and the too-easily resolved plot points.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 10:46 Interesting review as always! I don't like gory violence or an excess of foul language in books so it's nice to see a book that doesn't rely on these elements to tell the story. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the editing issues and the too-easily resolved plot points.
You're too kind bookowlie. It was definitely a refreshing read.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I think I will pass on this one because it seems to parallel too many news stories today. I look for books that allow me to escape. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 18:50 I think I will pass on this one because it seems to parallel too many news stories today. I look for books that allow me to escape. Thanks for the review.
That's very true. It's sadly realistic these days. Hope you find something enjoyable.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a great read despite the occasional problem with credibility. it seems odd, though, to lack gore when you consider the appalling scenario that is being investigated. I'm in two minds about this one, but I appreciated your analysis.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Libs_Books wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 09:44 This sounds like a great read despite the occasional problem with credibility. it seems odd, though, to lack gore when you consider the appalling scenario that is being investigated. I'm in two minds about this one, but I appreciated your analysis.
Well, it is basically a Christian fiction book, so that explains the lack of gore. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Wise-wonderfulMamaw
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wise-wonderfulmamaw.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Wise-wonderfulMamaw »

Blessed are the Peacemakers sounds like an exciting read. Father daughter duo could be interesting. I have an interest in this subject matter also...one I think I will be reading. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Wise-wonderfulMamaw wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 12:39 Blessed are the Peacemakers sounds like an exciting read. Father daughter duo could be interesting. I have an interest in this subject matter also...one I think I will be reading. Thanks for the review.
I do hope that you enjoy it! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I grew up reading "Christian Fiction" and can enjoy it, but also feel like so much of it is just missing something and I always tend to go into those books with my radars up for the weird, preachiness that seems to be the thing to do to make sure it is "Christian". What I would love to know is if it has that kind of element, or does the Christian part read naturally? Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 13:34 I grew up reading "Christian Fiction" and can enjoy it, but also feel like so much of it is just missing something and I always tend to go into those books with my radars up for the weird, preachiness that seems to be the thing to do to make sure it is "Christian". What I would love to know is if it has that kind of element, or does the Christian part read naturally? Thanks for the review.
I think it's much more natural. Obviously since churches are being targeted there's an element of let's band together and everyone pray, but I think that's to be expected in this situation. But, it's not a convert or you'll die type thing. Hope that helps.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”