Official Review: Immediacy by Fred Emil Katz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Immediacy by Fred Emil Katz

Post by Kat Berg »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Immediacy" by Fred Emil Katz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fred Emil Katz, author of Immediacy: Our Ways of Coping in Everyday Life, is a retired Sociology professor and Holocaust survivor. Although he survived the Holocaust, most of his family did not. His life experience left him with a burning question: How can people who love their family, who are kind to their children, wife, and pets, who are in every other way "good" people, how can these very same people perpetrate the kind of evil that occurred during the Holocaust and different points in the history of humanity?

There are two essential words/concepts found throughout this book: Immediacy and Riders. Immediacy refers to all the different things currently impacting our life. They include things that are both good and bad. Riders are the often unacknowledged thoughts, beliefs, and expectations that have a deep impact on how we respond to our Immediacy.

For Katz, it is not enough to simply answer the question of how otherwise good people can commit atrocities, but we must also figure out a way to prevent these kinds of atrocities. So he sets up a case for his point of view and then presents what he views as the solution. He splits the book up into five different sections. Each section begins with an introduction that explains the thesis he is presenting, and then supports that theses with several essays. The sections move smoothly from the presentation of the problem to an explanation of the complications of the problem, and then to a transformation of the problem.

Katz does not shy away from the difficult discussions. He covers the Holocaust, but also Cults like Heaven's Gate, who committed mass suicide in 1997, the Rwandan massacre, and even the Spanish Inquisition, just to name a few. This has been his life's work and as an octogenarian, he has had a lot of time to think through his ideas in-depth. Although I did not always find myself agreeing with his conclusions, I always found myself being stretched to think about things more deeply and to ask the difficult questions. He comes at the problem from a mostly sociological point of view, rather than a psychological or religious point of view. Even though Katz does touch on some religious discussions, this is not a religious or spiritual book.

There is some repetition of thought and ideas throughout the book, but I felt this was an acceptable thing as some of the concepts can be hard to grasp and the repetition helps with retention and understanding. Additionally, this book consists of essays which connect smoothly together but could also stand alone. Indeed, several of them were meant originally as stand-alone essays or lectures but were set to a new purpose here in this book. Katz's arguments, even though heady, are well thought out and articulated. Although it is not a long book at just 186 pages, it is not a quick read because it is dense. I can see this book working well for a serious-minded book club. I would have loved to have a discussion group to process with me at the end of each section. This is one of those books that I was talking a lot about to my friends because I found his ideas so fascinating.

This book would be very appropriate for those who do not mind a somewhat challenging read and find social history interesting, or those who have similar questions to Katz about how people can do such horrible things. It is unlikely that children or many young adults would find this especially interesting. Although this book does talk about difficult topics, the language or discussions found within are not graphic in any way.

There are a handful of mistakes found in this book, most of the missing period variety. Katz has a particular writing quirk where he likes to use ---- a lot. I am unsure why he chooses to use four, rather than two, but he is consistent throughout the book. However, it reads a little bit like a writing tic, he uses it multiple times in every single paragraph, and the book would read more smoothly without it, primarily because it is somewhat distracting to the eye.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The very small critiques that I have made are not enough to support taking away a full star, although I would have taken away a half a star for that if I could. This is a thought-provoking, well-researched and cited book that was a joy to read.

Immediacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kat Berg's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

A sociology professor and a Holocaust survivor? We can surely learn from what he has to share! I find the organization of the book to be interesting. I’m glad it seems that the various essays are logically placed and seems to flow. Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a deep dive into how people can commit such atrocities. For someone who has been through something as horrible as the Holocaust, I'm interested to see what his insights are. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Y'know, I've often wondered the same thing, myself - which may be why I love true crime analysis books so much - so I'm very interested in reading this and getting Mr. Katz's take on things.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Wow. This sounds like a deep book that tackles hard subjects. I liked how you said it stretched you because I think it would me as well. Will check out the book.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a very thoughtful and thought-provoking review. This sounds like a really important book - I'm going to put it on the list. You might be interested in this poem, 'Vultures', by Chinua Achebe, which touches on the same question of how someone can be a loving parent and yet commit atrocities (Warning: it's pretty hard-hitting)
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 08:45 This sounds like a deep dive into how people can commit such atrocities. For someone who has been through something as horrible as the Holocaust, I'm interested to see what his insights are. Thanks for the review.
It is definitely a deep dive :) Worth the effort, however.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

Libs_Books wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 05:08 Thanks for a very thoughtful and thought-provoking review. This sounds like a really important book - I'm going to put it on the list. You might be interested in this poem, 'Vultures', by Chinua Achebe, which touches on the same question of how someone can be a loving parent and yet commit atrocities (Warning: it's pretty hard-hitting)
Thanks for sharing the poem! I am always excited to discover new writing that is penetrating, and that is thought-provoking. I, too, feel like it is a really important book. It has made it on my list of resource books that I use for other writing of my own. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

melissy370 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 16:25 Wow. This sounds like a deep book that tackles hard subjects. I liked how you said it stretched you because I think it would me as well. Will check out the book.
It is not always easy to read a book that stretches you! Sometimes deep breathing is required. Sometimes stepping away for a day and coming back. I hope you appreciate it as much as I do.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

MsTri wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 15:04 Y'know, I've often wondered the same thing, myself - which may be why I love true crime analysis books so much - so I'm very interested in reading this and getting Mr. Katz's take on things.
I think it was an epiphany to me, the first time I realized that people are not all bad and not all good. Even people who do horrifying things. They still love, laugh, and learn. To acknowledge that they do these good things does not diminish the bad they do, indeed, it challenges us to self-reflection to see where those same capabilities for evil lie in our own hearts.
I would love to hear your take on the book if you ever get around to reading it. :)
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

stacie k wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 00:50 A sociology professor and a Holocaust survivor? We can surely learn from what he has to share! I find the organization of the book to be interesting. I’m glad it seems that the various essays are logically placed and seems to flow. Thanks for your informative review!
It is interesting about the essay aspect of this book because it is not obvious. You know that it is true because he tells you it is, and he sometimes introduces them explaining the story behind the essay. But even those stories behind the story he used to bring home his point. Not a lot of authors are able to do that without being super heavy-handed.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

This sounds to be a very deep and thought provoking book. I have often had similar thoughts with regards to how people can be so good and yet so evil. Thanks for the review
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Wow, this sounds quite interesting. Just the fact that the author is a Holocaust survivor and sociology professor makes it intriguing. I wouldn't be surprised by being in disagreement with some of his conclusions, since sociology really only attempts to cover a small piece of why things happen - still, it can make for a good read. I think I'll be adding this to my list. Thanks for your review
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

What makes a good person do something unacceptable? That's really quite a question that could elicit several differing answers. Indeed, what would prevent them from veering towards what's wrong and, instead, encourage them to continue doing what's right is the better next thing to ask. Thank you for your thought-provoking review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”