Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I'm rating it four out of four. I do received mmend it to anyone thinking of getting a gun because this novel gives both sides of the fence. I also liked how VitalTech handled the tragedies instead of saying they weren't responsible like some companies do.
Darront24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darront24.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darront24 »

N_R wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 23:56 I thought that this was quite an interesting book as there are a lot of older people who are quite fearful for their safety. I also know a lot who would be happy to pull the trigger if they felt threatened! It is a very difficult topic and the thing that I am a little disappointed with was how easy it was for people to get a gun, what kind of questionnaire did they have to pass? It was a joke.
I am from Florida so unfortunately with out Stand your ground laws there are plenty here that also are more than willing to jump to extreme measures; particularly in the rural areas where I lived. That said, we can also be disappointed with the ease we can get guns in our own society as well. We don't even have questionnaires and the bar to get a permit in some states is pretty low (or no bar in constitutional carry states).
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the way the different perspectives were connected throughout the book. This was definitely my favorite part. My least favorite part was that the dialogue from all of the characters sounded the same. I would have liked to see more personality when they were speaking.
kennedibmth
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedibmth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by kennedibmth »

The dialogue from the perspectives of the different characters was too similar- it didn't feel complex at all and made the story feel confusing and hard to follow. I suppose some people could enjoy it, but the writing wasn't for me. 2/4 stars.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

The cover picture is obviously very eye-catching and the title is great. The title "Final Notice" is definitely one that would cause someone to pick up the book and read the synopsis, and the review intregued me. I just downloaded the book and am really looking forward to it.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Quithilion wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 20:43 This is a great book. I loved the way that Vince and his wife came back from the dead, figuratively, and started embracing modern technology. Was great to read that.

As I come from a country that has no guns, this story would be written very differently if based there. I do wonder if people would still go round murdering people, though with knives in our case, or whether the immediacy of having to get blood on your hands would prevent it.

I'd recommend this because I really enjoyed it, especially the finale, which I must say took me by surprise, but seemed very appropriate.
Where are you from? Would be refreshing to be in a place where children aren't scared to go to school due to the violence.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
steviexlouise
Favorite Book: Love, Aubrey
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steviexlouise.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B071JNRK1V

Post by steviexlouise »

I haven't read the book, but I have read some reviews, the blurb and book summary. It just doesn't seem my taste, I do have quite a sense for crime, medical and mystery programs and books but I can't see myself reading it. If I did it'd probably take me a long while to read it as I would get bored or forget about it. I love the book cover and the blue color is enticing which almost makes me want to read it, if I was more of a gun interested person.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

Fleisher was more than capable of looking at this topic from multiple sides, which was very much appreciated as the reader.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

anneloretrujillo wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 11:43 I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the way the different perspectives were connected throughout the book. This was definitely my favorite part. My least favorite part was that the dialogue from all of the characters sounded the same. I would have liked to see more personality when they were speaking.
I agree - the dialogue got monotonous at times, but the internal dialogue was what I enjoyed the most.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I really enjoyed this book. I think Fleisher took sensitive subject matter such as gun control and immigration and handled the topics with tact. I feel like he was very biased when doing so, but it was easier to enjoy because I was of the same opinion as him.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
onasconatty
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by onasconatty »

i was able to download the book and read completely.
i find it interesting. but i think more work is need in the graphics of the cover page so as to make it more enticing
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

Reading through a lot of posts on this forum, I can tell I'll represent a minority when I say that it only earned one star for me. The premise was great, but the meat of the novel was a total flop. Every single character who wasn't a gun-toting maniac was the same brand of kind and understanding, which just isn't realistic. It was obvious that this book was rushed to publication, and I doubt that it will go over well in the community at large simply because of the way it was written.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

Thank you for all of the comments! I am interested in the gun debates, so this looks like it might be an interesting book for me to read!
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

I just finished reading this book and really enjoyed it. I believe in the right to have your own opinion and not to have others force theirs on you. As for the Final Notice - apart of me thinks -great idea and the other is screaming - no I don't want to know that I only have 30 days to live. Vince and Trudi - what a great couple. How does one cope thinking they are dying to only find out that they are cured. I love how there is different nationalities / religions in the book and how they relate with each other. Great book - would definitely recommend
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I recently finished reading and reviewing this novel. I really enjoyed it a lot! I never really gave much thought to being pro or anti gun control. This book really made me think about my opinion on the matter. I found the story kept my attention and there were enough plot twists to keep the pages turning quickly. But what I liked most was how realistic all the characters were. I was impressed with how well the author wrote this novel.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”